Insuline spike / IF testing

What is the best way to test whether certain foods or drinks give your insulin a spike? I have a glucose meter but I am not sure in which period I should test and whether this is the correct way. I want to test some stuff (suclarose/ aspartame / erythritol / acesulfame potassium / acesulfame-K)

(Chris) #2

Finger prick blood glucose meter? This is how I’d do it…

Fast for a while, but wait until you’ve been awake ~90 minutes - not right out of bed. Test blood glucose and note result.

Eat suspect substance. This is probably yucky as you’d just mix with water so you know it’s substance X & not the other ingredients… (unless something specific - does this 20 oz bottle of Gatorade Zero make a response?)

Then measure blood glucose at 60-90 minutes & look for change outside the normal sample-to-sample variance of your meter. I would do 60-90 min for the reading instead of the typical 2 hrs because you aren’t eating a whole meal of the sample, but a smaller amount. That combined with the fasting period, if there’s a rise it might already be in decline at 120 minutes.

(Jane) #3

If you are testing zero calorie sweeteners you are looking for a DROP in blood glucose, not a rise. You shoudn’t get a rise except with malitol and xylitol but if you get a drop it indicates your blood glucose didn’t go up, but you had an insulin reponse to lower it anyway.

(Jane) #4

And if you have a small insulin response it is ok if you are eating a keto dessert after a meal where you are going to have an insulin response anyway. The response to the sweetener is likely to be much smaller than the meal.

The problem I see is when you eat a keto dessert as a snack between meals or drinking diet sodas/coffee during the day with sweeteners in them then you may get an insulin response when you are trying to limit it to twice a day.

Too bad there is no home test for insulin because you are still gatherign indirect data.

(Bob M) #5

Not only that, but it’s likely completely wrong. First, I’d take your blood sugar every 15 minutes at least. This is from Thanksgiving 2017. Each set of lines is one hour. Note that peaks are about or less than one hour long, and this is for very high carb meals:

So, if you measure an hour later, you might be recovered.

Also, if your glucagon works correctly, you might not get a blood sugar decrease at all. In fact, you shouldn’t. I’ve taken massive amounts of protein, which I’m sure caused an insulin response, and got zero blood sugar rise or lowering.

Thanks for all answers. I do daily 20 hour fast and twice a week a 44 hour. I want to check with a blood glucose finger prick at the end of a fast. After 20 hours (if it is enough) i want to drink Monster Ultra Light / Diet Coke and that kind of stuff. So if I check just 5min before consume my glucose value and 1 hour later again and there is no high difference i have no insuline response so i am still fasted. If the value is a lot higher that will get me out of my fast.

Conclusion: Testing for 90 minutes after a Monster Zero Light Blue i tested every 20min. Readings begin with 73mg/dl and then 78,77 and last 76.