Insulin Shock

Hi all,

I just created an account here because I have a question regarding exercise when going back into ketosis after a carb-period.

I’ve been on keto for over a year now, although usually only for a few months straight, then going back to (limited) carb meals for a few weeks (mainly due to celebrations, business trips etc). Overall it has been quite pleasant being on keto, although I never experienced that high energy level you’re supposed to get.

Now here’s the question:
Last week I kicked my body out of ketosis again with carbs (celebrating my B-day), and this morning I had my typical low-card Keto breakfast (Skyr / yogurt). Now I just went for a short bike trip into the city but at a rather high speed, and after doing some research I think this has led to an insulin shock: blurred vision, extreme dizziness, feeling very faint, high pressure in my head bordering a headache, basically couldn’t do much except lay in the couch and stay there for a while.

Now I’m wondering: has anyone experienced this before? I suppose it’s normal when your body is getting it’s carbs cut off and you start to exercise at the same time, but how do you guys go about that? Do you stop exercising for a few weeks until you’re into full ketosis?
Also, does exercise on low carb help you to kick you back into ketosis?

Many thanks!
A.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

You don’t need to stop exercising entirely, but you should not be overstressing your body until you readapt. Of course, the easiest way to avoid having to readapt is to stay ketogenic even while celebrating Thinking that we can periodically benefit from eating extra carbohydrate is very similar to thinking that we can periodically benefit from eating extra arsenic.