Insulin preload

(Karen) #1

I remember, years ago, reading about the bodies natural response from one meal to the next, to preload insulin. This led to the idea that you could fool your body a bit and lose weight. It might be a strategy even with keto.

This was the thought…
Eat a carb and protein meal (in our case very low carb)insulin would take care of the meal and would rise as required for the load. The next meal your body would “expect” a similar meal and there was a preload of insulin triggered when you ate. But. … This meal you would eat protein and fat. No carbs. The body would deIiver too much insulin, not experience the expected load, and preload a smaller amount for the next (now carb and protein) meal. Somehow this was supposed to help lose weight.

Anyone ever hear of this?? @richard ? Might this be similar to the “eat protein first” idea to lower postprandial glucose ?

K

(GINA ) #2

This is the basis for The Carbohydrate Addict’s Diet from the early 90s by the Drs Rachael and Richard Heller.

The original plan says to eat 1-2 very low carb meals per day, then ‘whatever’ for no more than 1 hour per day. By limiting to LC for most of the day, the insulin release is lower for the ‘whatever’ meal, and by limiting to 1 hour, the second phase insulin release is avoided.

They say they ‘discovered’ the plan after having to fast for various reasons during the day, then eating a big meal at night, but losing weight anyway. They said fasting all day would be best, but didn’t think people would do it.

They plan was corrupted in later years in newer books by avoiding fat, adding salads to all meals and a bunch of other ‘rules,’ but the original was simple and effective for many people.

(Karen) #3

I’ll get that’s about when I read this. Does the insulin really release this way? And the " fast then eat " sounds like OMAD.

Update: I just read through their website and it’s not quite the same.

http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/rmbal.html

(GINA ) #4

No, like I said, the plan got corrupted later. Now they have The Carbohydrate Addict’s Lifeplan, and Stress Eating Cure, and I don’t know what else. Every iteration has strayed further from ‘keep your insulin down for 23 and you can eat what you want for 1 hour.’