Insect protein is keto compliant? yes.... but no way I'm gonna eat this!

Are you contemplating adding insect protein to your keto diet? No way - I’m not!! Absolutely no disrespect to others who would…I just don’t think I can do it.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/business-news/moving-away-from-the-fear-factor-bringing-insects-into-mainstream-diets/

(Richard Morris) #2

Although it’s worth pointing out that lobster and shrimp are both arthropods as are insects like crickets. And lobster and shrimp are awesome

I would totally eat cricket products! @Brenda is a big ol’ bug eater too. :ant:

Good point on the shrimp and lobster.

(Guardian of the bacon) #5

“Insect Farming” is supposedly among the most sustainable protein farming practices there is.

I have an unintentional fire ant farm. Are fire ants spicy?

(Guardian of the bacon) #7

I’ll be waiting for a review! :sunglasses:

I’d have no problem trying it, other than it being way overly pricey at the moment.

Just as soon as I figure a way to herd them. :ant: :ant: :ant:

(Guardian of the bacon) #10

Use some of that dastardly ole sugar that may be still laying in the pantry. Draw them right in.

(Dustin Cade) #11

I could see them being more of a snack substitute with the added advantage of the protein and not having a carb issue… though I figure if they add good healthy fats to them and salt, could be a keto super food… I’m willing too try them…

(Guardian of the bacon) #12

I’ve been watching Andrew Zimmern enjoy bugs for years.

In case somebody hasn’t heard of Andrew Zimmern. Bizzarre Foods Link

(AnnaLeeThal) #13

Love that show

(Jennie) #14

Yes. Yes they are. For whatever reason, I share Jim Gaffigan’s sentiments.

In all seriousness, I saw a company that was striving to put bugs in protein bars because it’s a way to work on world hunger. BRILLIANT!

I hear chickens that eat bugs make the best and most nutritious eggs! So maybe they’d be super good for us?

(Larry Lustig) #15

Indeed, lobsters and crawfish are sometimes colloquially referred to as “bugs”.

(Richard Morris) #16

Actually in Australia we have a native shellfish that is kind of like a slipper lobster that is called a Bug. Balmain bugs from Sydney, and Morton Bay bugs from Brisbane.

Bugs Yum Yum

(Karen Parrott) #17

Wonder if the exposure to highly concentrated amounts of cricket and commercial products will cause food allergies in some?

I took krill oil for awhile and developed a mild IgE sensitivity to shrimp. I laid off the krill oil to see if was the krill oil supplement or the shrimp, and to give myself a break since there can be cross sensitivity.

Wonder what high concentrations, beyond what people would consume in natural preparations ,will do in folks grabbing a cricket bar made with far more crickets than one would consume in a single sitting without a processed base.

(Guardian of the bacon) #18

Hmmm… wonder what the USDA portion size is for crickets?

I tried typing “insect protein” into the USDA MyPlate app and it came up…crickets chirping as in nuthin , nada, a blank stare.

(AnnaLeeThal) #19

I wonder if cricket flour would be a good thing to bread fried food?

(HIDAYAH KENDALL) #20

My daughter loved the salt and vinegar crickets at Girl Scout camp. So crunchy, so crispy! I tried them, too, and they weren’t bad.