Indian Chicken Curry over Riced Cauliflower

Indian Chicken Curry over Riced Cauliflower

A favorite low carb dish here. We love ethnic food from all over the world.

(I always made this dish with basmati rice, but now since I got my A1C 10 down to A1C 5, I’d like to keep it that way! The riced cauliflower is 1/10th the carbs! And it tastes great–I don’t miss the basmati rice!)

Chicken Curry: Fry up a little onion with bell pepper (or other vegetable) in chicken fat/olive oil/etc… Throw in the diced chicken and fry until center is just cooked (want it tender and juicy). Season with 2 parts tumeric, 1 part garam masala, 1 part cumin along with black pepper, (crushed red pepper), and salt. Add in tbsp tomato paste 2 tbsp of heavy cream. Cook for another 1/2 minute or so, to where sauce is thickened to your liking, then set aside in bowl.

Cauliflower Rice: In same pan fry some riced cauliflower in chicken fat/olive oil/etc. Color with a little tumeric. Maybe add in a dash of cumin for flavor. Salt to taste.

Serve with chicken curry over the rice bed. Garnish with something if you like: e.g. cilantro (coriander leaves), scallions etc.

EDIT: 50 cents worth of tumeric and garam masala, purchased from Whole Foods bulk bins (you put them in baggies there), is enough for probably cook this dish 10 times. I really dislike McCormick spices because they charge like $5 a bottle for 50 cents worth of spices – makes it look like ethnic dishes are not affordable, which is untrue.

(Mike) #2

Looks awesome, I will have to try it.

I agree with you on the spices, I get all mine at Winco for 1/10th the price of McCormick

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

Agree totally about buying in bulk. And you can buy only what you need in the immediate future. Buying in bottles like McCormicks you might have that around for ages, and the potency goes down dramatically.

(Sophie) #4

This looks really yummy! Will definitely give it a try. Am thinking of subbing out coconut cream for HWC. Bet that would be nice. I also make a curry cabbage to go with that even non-keto hubby loves. Thanks for posting!

(Lisandra Mathews) #5

Looks delish! I had something similar last night with cauliflower rice. I thought I’d kick it up a notch and find a recipe on Pinterest for keto naan and found something for paleo naan- big mistake. It called for 1/2 cup almond flour and 1/2 arrowroot, it was scrumptious but I didn’t realize how carby arrowroot was.

(Damon Chance) #6

Check out KetoConnect’s or Headbanger’s Kitchen’s recipes on Youtube for some good keto-naan.

(Lisandra Mathews) #8

Pinned it! :pushpin:

Looks good! I make some sort of curry at least once a week for dinner. Indian style curry is the best because once you learn the basics you can wing-it and make many different kinds with no recipe. Once you build up a stockpile of authentic ingredients it gets even better (ghee, fenugreek seeds, Whole cardamom pods, Indian chili powder, etc).

Here is a Thai curry we really like, I’ve tweaked this to make it a pretty solid keto meal. This is one of those dishes I make where the flavor vs time invested is off the charts:

(Annette) #10

I love most all of the Indian keto recipes from Headbanger’s Kitchen! Plus he’s fun to watch. He absolutely enjoys his own cooking.

(Sophie) #11

The Jibber-Jabber always tickles me! :laughing:

I riced some broccoli instead of cauliflower this time. Tasted wonderful. Good to change things up once and a while. (Seasoned the riced broccoli with a little tumeric and cumin when I fried it.)

(Peter Bursky) #13

How much chicken would you use in this recipe? Don’t see it in there anywhere…
Thanx

I usually use like 4 1/2 oz per person. And about 7 oz of riced cauliflower per person.

What type of chicken?

I personally use a mix of breast and thigh

Not available at my nearest whole foods. They have nuts and beans but no spices

what a great idea!

(KCKO, KCFO) #19

Just be careful of the psyllium husk powder you use, most of them turn the bread a very weird dark color. I got the one most recommended and had that happen anyway. I really did not like the way this turned out with the color and the flavor wasn’t what I wanted either, but then I am picky about breads. Especially things like naan. I still haven’t found an acceptable naan recipe.

(Jo) #20

Great recipe, just one suggestion. Try frying the turmeric and other spices first in oil/butter/chickenfat, before you put the veggies and chicken in. That’s how it is usually done in India. The spices become a lot more aromatic that way and you get a more intense flavor. The turmeric turns red, that’s when you know it’s time to put the chicken and/or the other ingredients in. You could do the same with the cauliflower.