Increased Temperature

(Failed) #1

I started supplementing with potassium the other day (the equivalent of an avocado several times a day), and since then my temperature is always above 98.6, even when I first get up. My usual body temperature has always been in the low 97s.

I’ve also started losing weight again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does this mean that my basic metabolic rate is increased?

I’m wondering now if I’ve been chronically potassium deficient.

(Susan) #2

Did you buy it in tablet form from Amazon, Dee? I am wondering if I am potassium deficient now and if that is why I haven’t lost weight (with no cheating ) in 2.5 months.

What do you take exactly, Please?

(Candy Lind) #3

Be very careful with potassium supplementation! You can OD and get into heart arrhythmias and stuff. I was taking too much (along with too much magnesium) and had accelerated heart rate & dizziness.

(Bob M) #4

I think this is correlation not causation, but I could be wrong.

(Failed) #5

Below are links to the research I did before making this decision.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4963920/

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/485434

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Paul_Whelton/publication/12343308_New_guidelines_for_potassium_replacement_in_clinical_practice_A_contemporary_review_by_the_National_Council_on_Potassium_in_Clinical_Practice/links/54a8675c0cf267bdb90b339f/New-guidelines-for-potassium-replacement-in-clinical-practice-A-contemporary-review-by-the-National-Council-on-Potassium-in-Clinical-Practice.pdf?origin=publication_detail

Below are the 2 I saved as PDFs.
newguidelinesforpotassiumreplacement.pdf (249.0 KB)

potassium nih study.pdf (235.1 KB)

(Failed) #6

I bought caplets at WalMart and am only taking enough to equal 1 avocado several times a day.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS MY DECISION AND SHOLD NOT BE FOLLOWED WITHOUT YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

Sorry for shouting.

(Failed) #7

Thanks for the warning Candy, I gave it very careful thought before making this decision and am taking small doses, well spaced.

On reviewing my eating habits over the past few decades, I realized iI was getting little to no potassium in my diet, with the occasional exception of potatoes.

(Failed) #8

Hopefully not, but unless I go on and off it, ther’s no way to tell really.

I have been tracking my temperature since July 26 and there does seem to be a pattern, although I have not supplemented at this level previously.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Yes, everyone needs to proceed carefully with potassium. Hyperkalaemia and hypokalaemia can both be deadly. People should only supplement if they have a clear reason to do so.

@DeeCS I’m glad you are being careful, and thank you for being so emphatic. In this case, shouting is good! :grin:

(Susan) #10

OKay, thanks for the warnings.I was just wondering if maybe because she was having so much success in her weight loss, maybe I should get some, =-) but I guess I will just wait for the stall to break =-).

('Jackie P') #11

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I feel quite deaf after that!
I was diagnosed with AF shortly before starting keto. I get palpitations from time to time, but a glass of 1/4 tsp losalt, 1/4tsp Viriduan Magnesium Citrate Powder (Amazon) and 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt stops it dead. I take this x 2 day now and rarely have an attack.

(Failed) #12

That’s good to hear about it fixing your AF. How much potassium is in a 1/4 t of Losalt?

('Jackie P') #13

450 gram, 23% RDA