Increased AST Level on Keto

blood-work

My doctor is puzzled by the fact that my AST went from 17 Pre-Keto to 48 after about 6 months on Keto.

The only medication change that I had was something called Emgality that is a once per month migraine drug but she doesn’t believe that is the cause. I may have increased my Excedrin Migraine use trying not to use the heavier stuff that makes me loopy but it’s not as if I’m eating it like candy.

She’s not a “Keto doctor” but she is very open to new things and even sent me a copy of the Carnivore Diet as a holiday gift!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Do you have any symptoms of liver disease other than slightly elevated AST?

I’m not a doctor so this is just my layman’s guess. I’m assuming you had AST measured in the past for some reason other than idle curiosity. Something was amiss when you ate SAD but was not yet severe enough to elevate AST. The slight additional stress on your liver of metabolizing more fats/ketones has unmasked it. Which makes it doubly important to know whether there are any other symptoms.

(Todd Allen) #3

In the US most routine physical exams include AST & ALT as part of the standard blood panels.

(Todd Allen) #4

Did any of your other lab results show changes of concern?

Yes, that’s correct. It’s part of the standard Complete Blood Count panel.

I’ll have to go back and chart all of my changes. The other one she is unsure of is My Growth Hormone decreased to 87 from 186.

I was disappointed that my insulin is coming down super slow, or what I consider to be super slow - I went from 10 in February (Pre-Keto) to 8. She wants me below 5.

A1C stayed same at 5.2 but fasting BG was 105 up from 94

Trig went to 54 down from 95

I am Vitain D deficient at 31 - I’m lazy about taking the supplements

B12 went from 550 to 475

With that said other numbers looked great according to her -
CRP = .5 down from 2.49
Testosterone up to 30 from 17

I’ll have to look back at prior tests regarding the liver values. I think I remember something from a few years ago.

I’ve started taking about 10K Units of D a few times per week and taking Brewers Yeast everyday.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

It seems like there are multiple possibilities here. I hope you determine what’s going on.

After reading the symptoms of liver problems the only ones I have may be some bloating and occasional stomach pains but nothing significant. We will re-test next moth and see if it was just an anomaly. Fingers crossed.