In the 1800s, Valentine’s Meant a Bottle of Meat Juice

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

A dude churned out a keto cure over 150 years ago that took over the world…and he rocked a neck beard like nobody’s business.

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Is that Banting?

Who is that lovely lady beside him?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

No. That’s Valentine! And his wife Anne Maria. Thanks for the article link @Aqua_chonk

(Joey) #4

Thanks for an enjoyable read.

Nothing says “I love you” quite like meat juice. :gift_heart:

(Bob M) #5

I’d drink that!

In fact, when I sous vide beef, I drink the liquid.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #6

Right? I think somebody on here should crack that recipe and fill us in.

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

I think you cracked the recipe Bob.

The Maasai consume blood right from the animal, no recipe required. They are one of the healthiest people around as well.

I don’t drink blood but I love a bloody steak, as raw as I can get it.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #8

I thought the blood was drained and the red stuff left was hemoglobin?

(Bob M) #9

Yes, I have heard it’s hemoglobin. I just had some at “lunch” (my first meal).

I would like to try real blood sausage, but it’s hard to find in the US. I have had it, but only rarely.

I’d make it myself, if I could find blood.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

Me, too! Let us know the instant you locate the real thing. (fork poised)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

As long as they stick to their traditional diet, anyway. A comparative study of Maasai still on the traditional diet and their urban relatives who ate a Westernised diet showed that the latter group had all the chronic diseases, and at the same rates, as everyone else who eats the same kind of diet.

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

Yes, I was referring to the traditional diet. Anthony Bourdain did a Parts Unknown episode on this very topic. I miss him soo very much. :cry:

(KCKO, KCFO) #13

I had it in England. To my knowledge it isn’t produced in the US, if anyone knows differently let us know how to get our hands on it. Grosses my husband out, but lots of stuff I like to eat does that. BSausge is good stuff.

(KCKO, KCFO) #14

I had never heard that. Will have to do some research. At any rate, I like that red stuff in blu cooked steaks. France is a great place to try it too, they do it right.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

I’m sure I’ve encountered blutwurst in German delis here in the Northeast. And it used to be eaten more in the U.S.; Laura Ingalls Wilder even mentions it in the fall preparations scene in Little House in the Big Woods as one of the foods they made from the slaughtered pig.

And as for the Maasai, that study fascinates me, because some people try to argue that the reason certain populations can survive without carbs is that they are genetically different, somehow. This study shows the contrary. In fact, the only genetic variation that I’m aware of in the Maasai is that their ability to digest lactose comes from a mutation that is apparently different from the Northern European mutation that grants the same ability.

(Bob M) #16

I’ve found blood sausage at a place in Cape Cod, MA that was a “farm to table” place, which always had a line to get in. We went early enough (it served breakfast too) to get a table and they had it. I remember it being pricey.

I also got it at an Irish brewpub/restaurant, though I can’t remember where (Vermont? Cape Cod?).

I’d love to find some blood so I could make my own, but it appears it’ll be hard to find. I’ll keep looking though.

@PaulL I’ve become more convinced that genetics plays a larger role than we think. For instance, Brad at Fire in a Bottle supposedly has a post up about the French and how the eat relatively high carb, high saturated fat, yet are thin. I’d bet good money (assuming what Brad says is true, and I’m not sure about that) that we could feed the French that diet, but then feed someone from Poland (the vast majority of my ancestry) that diet, and get two different results. The Polish person would get obese.

As always, how much difference there is and what it effects is hard to tell. You bring up a small mutation, although it has a big effect (e.g., not too many of Asian descent would do well drinking milk). It’s a tough analysis.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #17

It does, but not as far back in the DNA library as you might think. Epigenetics is the Watch This Spot! of scientific study. They’re going to figure out we have amazing control over our destinies in a single generational family photo. War, deprivation, the stress of a prolonged COVID pandemic–grandma and grandpa’s memories aren’t just stored in film stock and pixels. They’re stored in your butt, literally.

The red liquid from muscle meat is myoglobin.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #19

Thanks. That helps me figure my globin macros.

Roamin’ in the globin.

Gotta know our different biochemicals. One of the options comes wrapped in cell membranes. The other is part of the meat chemistry between cells. Important, especially when making fake meat, then it’s beetroot juice extract, I think.

Hemoglobin is a heterotetrameric oxygen transport protein found in red blood cells (erythrocytes), whereas myoglobin is a monomeric protein found mainly in muscle tissue where it serves as an intracellular storage site for oxygen.