Improved hair, skin, nails?

I can’t be the only one, and it can’t be a coincidence, right? My hair is as shiny and thick as it has ever been (and I’m over 60) and I swear the grey just isn’t increasing. My nails are unusually strong with no ridges. My rosacea is gone. My heels are smooth and supple.

Yes, I go through certain topical regimes regarding nails and skin, but I’m still struck by the fact that everything appears to be working SO well. What do any of you think? Have any of you noticed improvements that at least collectively we could chalk up to this WOE?

(UsedToBeT2D) #2

Me too all of the above. Except I shave my head, bit there is more stubble and I have to shave more frequently.

(Doug) #3

Skin tags gone. ‘Cherry angiomas’ (little red moles) - no more. Fasting/autophagy - raised keloid scars on both shins gone (one leg), or almost gone - not raised anymore and it’s really just the outline of where they were on the skin.

Hair - well, still not so hot on that one, for the top of my head.

Common, for many it’s the increased protein intake combined with higher fat. Increasing protein is giving your hair, skin and nails all the aminos it needs, and your skin requires cholesterol to stay moisturized properly.

I always had horrible elbows and knees, couldn’t keep them nice to save my life, found a tallow based skin moisturizer and they’re normal now. So of course started using it on the face and same result, WAY better off. Our bodies (especially skin) love the fat!

(Robin) #5

Yes, yes, and yes. I also added collagen tho, and believe it helps. But it could be that the benefits of keto were really kicking in at the same time I started collagen. Whatever, if not’s broke….

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

When I switched from a high-carb, low-fat diet to a low-carb, high-fat, ketogenic diet, my skin tags went away, my liver spots became invisible, my acne went away, my joints stopped feeling pain, and my hair and nail growth noticeably picked up, as has my libido. Several scars have softened and become less visible. However, my hairline has noticeably receded (probably from increased testosterone), and the grey has increased. I can tell when I’ve been over-indulging in carbohydrate, because my liver spots become visible again, my joints start to hurt, and I get pimples and clogged pores. This is true, even if I remain in ketosis.

As someone pointed out, it is difficult to disentangle whether the effects we notice are from eating more calories, eating less carbohydrate, or eating more fat (most of us don’t really change our protein intake much, if at all). Suffice it to say that the change in our way of eating brought a number of good effects with it.

(Carnivore for the win) #7

My hair, skin, and nails improve greatly the longer I am in consistent ketosis. At almost four years in, there are still noticeable improvements.

(Laurie) #8

Skin tags gone.

Aside from that … I always had good skin and bad hair. Still do.

Maybe my gray hair is less gray; it’s hard to tell.

Fascinting! Thank you all for chiming in and proving my hypothesis.

Very interested in the skin tag and keloid scar comments. @OldDoug you mention fasting – as in lengthy fasts or intermittant fasting?

Anyhow, here’s to clear skin, strong nails – can’t lose! :wink:

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

Like OldDoug, my skin tags are gone and the one small red mole I had has decreased and turned clear. Scarring from old bike injuries have faded to the point they are hard to find now.

My head hair is thick and shiny, I’m in my 70s and my hair dresser tells me my hair is healthier than the teenagers she services. And the underarm hair and leg hairs are almost gone, what is left is very pale now, I no longer need to shave my legs or under arms.

I have to trim my nails about every week and a half they grow so fast now. Used to break and peel off before they got past the end of my fingers. I type alot so I keep them trimmed short, but I could have claws now if I wanted, LOL.

(Robin) #11

One perk of getting older is no shaving!

(Butter Withaspoon) #12

I really really REALLY should be grey by now. It’s very strange. Smooth healthy skin and strong nails too

(Robin) #13

Maybe you have headed the grey off at the pass! Lucky you!

I never had any changes… Well my calories barely went down, my protein probably stayed and my fat intake probably went down in average… My carbs went down, of course but my weak nails, shiny and dense but weak hair, my weight, my energy and other things just don’t care.
I will see if a few months mostly on carnivore could make a difference, I am hopeful :smiley: I never could do keto for long (and wasn’t motivated due to lack of benefits after I already had fat adaptation. I did keto on and off afterwards) but carnivore is easier and better than my normal keto. Low-carb all the time wasn’t enough. Keto for months wasn’t enough. Carnivore is great even temporarily but energy and nails and hair, that probably takes much more time.

(Pete A) #15

I’ve had changes and improvements in my fingers, toes and nails. I don’t know about growing faster, but better.

(Kathy) #16

Yes to pretty much all of those good side affects.

Only complaint is the cost of keeping my hair under control, it has always been thick heavy curly and fast growing, now it is super fast growing ! I can barely make it to the end of 4 weeks without looking like a bush lady overnight, LOL
Thank goodness for an excellent stylist at a somewhat reasonable price compared to most Salons these days. I am having to color my roots far more frequently too!
Small price to pay for achieving my health goals :smile:

(Robin) #17

Yes, worth it! Good for you!

Skin is definitely better. Nails and hair seem similar to before. In so many people’s before and after pics, their complexion is so much better and they’re more radiant. I got carded at a bar a few weeks back and the waitress would have sworn I was no older than 25 (I’m 36).

Perhaps the best NSV of keto is the corona or aura that everyone now emanates so much more boldly.

(Robin) #19

Carded! What a memory! Good for you. Rock it while you got it.

(Kirk Wolak) #20

Not at all… I noticed my brown coming back into my hair.
My wife laughed at first. Months later, someone else pointed it out, and now she’s upset with me! (LOL, she dyes hers)