I'm so disheartened!

newbies

(Kelly) #1

Hello i did keto over 2 years ago and had amazing results then life happened hubby went on a really long deployment so was busy with 3 kids and fell off the wagon since then I have gained 20+ pounds and went into keto 2 weeks ago I have been tracking everything on my carb manager to a T I am 5’6 170lbs GW 150 to start with i stay under 1300 cals a day and under 25gs of carbs never hit my fat macros about 10gs or or so daily I feel good just in the last 2 weeks not a single pound lost im about to throw in the towel and accept being over weight the first time I had done this I lost 8lbs in two weeks I would care if it was only 1 or 2lbs but nothing for 14 days please help!

To be fair, I’m not a keto person but I saw your post and wanted to weigh in. I used to be keto but now I’m a carnivore. I’m not here to advocate that (it’s not a weight loss plan).
So, I’m not a doctor, not an expert but here’s what I think.
First: two weeks is no time.
Second, this may sound a little tough… why are you starving yourself? Keto is not about calories.
Now, that being said, don’t let yourself get down about it as that will just make it that much harder.
Give it some time, eat enough food that you aren’t putting yourself into starvation mode and slowing down your metabolism.
Don’t get disheartened. Perhaps there are some metabolic issues that your body needs to fix first.

By the way, from an old vet, thank you to you and your husband for your sacrifices.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

:+1::+1::+1:

You may or may not be eating enough overall. Are you hungry during the day? I don’t mean an hour or so before meals. I mean generally or later in the day after your final meal? If so, then you need to eat more, if not then you’re probably eating sufficient - at least for now.

As @barefootbob says, 2 weeks is nothing. Don’t compare yourself to 2+ years ago. That was then, this is now. You’re not the same person you were then. Keto is first and foremost a metabolic normalization process. Weight normalization is generally included, but other stuff often takes precedence simply because other stuff may be more important to fix first. Excess weight/fat is a symptom of metabolic disfunction and when the disfunction is fixed, the weight is as well.

So be patient. You might lower the carbs to sub-20 grams per day. A lot of folks find that they need to do so to get things moving for them. Also, there might be some specific food(s) that are causing you problems: dairy, nuts are possibilities. There may also be sex related issues and hopefully other ladies will offer specific suggestions about that. Best wishes.

(Bunny) #4

I could see a person losing 8 pounds of water in two weeks, if I lost 8 pounds in two weeks I would cut it down and say 4 pounds of what might be body fat loss but I doubt it (highly unlikely), most likely water-glycogen-sodium-potassium-tissue-loss, not actual body fat loss.

The higher the percentage of body fat you have to muscle volume; the harder it will be to oxidize subcutaneous lipids from adipose cells no matter how or what you eat? I lift weights once a week (that’s all you need) to place resistance against the muscle so that I oxidize any incoming carbohydrates fats or proteins and that seems to do the trick; especially doing squats to work the biggest muscle the body has which are the glutes and hamstrings which controls your entire metabolism especially when you build them, then you have a buffer against gaining rather than trying to lose body weight and oxidize the over-sized stored lipids you currently have on-board?

Giving yourself a weeks recovery time from lifting weights is where all the magic happens because your winning the war and battle most people lose?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

I am learning that there is more to metabolic health than simply lowering our carbohydrate intake. The quality of our food is important too, and there is growing evidence to show that our current state of ill health is the result not just of steadily increasing consumption of sugar and carbohydrate, but also of steadily increasing consumption of industrial seed oils, with their high percentages of ω-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids.

The importance of eating real food and avoiding industrially processed foods cannot, it appears, be understated.

(Bob M) #6

I’m a big fan of these theories. I try to prioritize saturated fat now and avoid higher PUFA items. I say “try” because I still eat chicken, pork, etc., I just try to minimize them.

Although I do think that the idea that obesity is SOLELY related to PUFA intake might be incorrect. For instance, I think if you drank a 6 or 12 pack of good beer a day and followed that with pizza then ice cream, I can pretty much guarantee you’d gain weight, and that’s a low PUFA diet.

But having tested a high saturated fat diet, it does seem to curb hunger for me.