I'm PISSed. Mentally and physically

So I’m 2 months in and I lost 20lbs in the first 2 weeks then nothing in the next 5 weeks. Started tracking on my fitness pal last 5 days carbs have been under 20 every day calories have been 1600, 1900, 1600, 2000, 1700. Macro calculator says to lose weight I need to be under 2200. A 20% deficit puts me 1600 calories a day. Day one I had 65% fat and last 4 have been in the 70’s. I’m on the omad and haven’t cheated yet despite having cake ice cream and pretty much whatever else you might want in the carb department. So I step on the scale once a week just to know where I’m at. So today I got on it and I’ve gained 10 lbs. What gives?? I lost more weight just doing omad and eating whatever I wanted to. My wife thinks that I should go back to that, but something is telling me to stick it out. Just don’t know what to do to switch it up I’m going to try to cut back on dairy trying to see if I keep my carbs in single digits if that will help other than that I don’t know what else to do. Thanks for any help or advice

(Michelle) #2

Percentages make my brain hurt. Can you give examples of your typical meals?

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #3

Welp, you are PISSed- post induction stall syndrome. It’s a thing. Also, 20 lbs in less than 2 months is great. It just didn’t happen in a straight line.

Most days it was 3 hard boiled eggs 210 Cal’s, half a block of jalapeno cheese 400 Cal’s, daily vitamin 0, fish, flax and borage oil pull 10 Cal heard somewhere that I should take it idk. Then with that had pork chops 630 Cal’s one day, cheese burgers 1000 Cal’s another no bun with some cooked in butter peppers 75 Cal for both. Or better with cheddar brats 800 Cal’s and found out the hard way bob evans sausage 1760 for the whole 1 lb. Which I’m still confused on cause it says 2 oz a serving but says on 6 per pack and it’s a 1 lb package so I counted it as 8 servings to equal 1 lb

(Raj Seth) #6

Listen to your wife. She is “always” right - just ask her :grin:
The “something” telling you to stick it out is your false intuition misguided by decades of misinformation from the entire establishment
You are underfeeding. You don’t lose weight by cutting calories - it’s actually hormonal - and Keto is how you fix the hormonal engines. Your body has been lowering its metabolism to meet the reduced caloric intake from your calorie cutting. And it will certainly not give up its precious stores of fat in that situation Set any app to maintenance, then run it, and throw away the recommendations. What does a random app know about you and your body?

To fix it : here is what I suggest.
LIMIT CARBS TO AS NEAR ZERO AS POSSIBLE. certainly below 20 gm daily carbs. Eat real fatty foods to satiety. Use Jason Fungs holy trinity
1: Eat when hungry
2: Eat till full - satiated
3: DON’T eat when not hungry
Spoiler alert That third rule is the hardest: all mental

For the bulk of us obese, diabetic, metabolically deranged folks this works. Note there is no calorie counting, macro tracking or othe distracting nonsense.

Don’t chase ketones : if you are eating no carbs, AND you continue to be alive, you are in a lipolytic state - which guarantees ketosis
Don’t bother to track protein. Real fatty food come with sufficient protein

Once you start treating your body to the right nutrition, it will allow you to move towards healthy fat adaptation and then you’re home free. Your appetite will self regulate and your body will burn its easily accessible excess fatstores preferentially and not send you false hunger signals. I haven’t felt old style hunger in 11 months - not once since I went full on keto Oct 31, 2017

Good answer. Pretty much what I would say too. I was thinking that counting the calories is a challenge for a lot of people. They get stuck or focus too much on the numbers. It may be beneficial to track what you’re eating, just stopping when full – you just have to train yourself to STOP, regardless of how tasty the food actually is).

(Keto Victory) #8

FYI, OMAD may be counter-productive if you have issues with cortisol regulation. High cortisol levels will drive up BG and are not conducive to ketone production.

Chris Kresser (somewhere on chriskresser.com) noted that regular well-formulated low-carb small meals (“intermittent snacking”?) on a temporary basis were helpful for affected patients in getting their cortisol levels under control.

So your saying I should forget keto and go back to eating carbs

(Raj Seth) #10

No no no no!! Read again. Critical portion emphasized

Before I started keto I was still omad and I ate whatever I wanted to carbs, sugar I didn’t count anything i would have pb and j sandwiches chips pizza whatever. My wife thinks I should go back to that. Guess I should have clarified that better

(Raj Seth) #13

You started with

So I thought you were talking about going back to the beginning of Keto, before you started tracking
As you may guess, I am not a food tracking fan. Enough of that CICO, WW point count :poop:
I am a carb Nazi. Rest is as posted above

(Ellie) #14

I don’t really understand this bit. Does that mean that in the last couple of weeks you’ve been having cake and ice cream? If so that would explain the 10lbs gain!

In one of your threads a week ago, I posted:
Stick to
20g or less of carbs
Moderate protein
Fat to satiety.

Aim to eat fat in each meal so that you are full until the next proper meal with no snacking.

Did you try that? I wouldn’t worry about OMAD yet. Just eat a meal when you are hungry. You shouldn’t be hungry on keto.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #16

Every line looks straight at the beginning. My point is that if you look at your progress over the entire time you’ve been doing keto, you are still losing a lot of weight. There may be tweeks you can do to get things moving again. Not under-eating is an important one. But there are plenty of people who don’t lose at all in the first couple months. If they endure this discouraging time, and make needed adjustments, their success is inspiring and long lasting. It’s a psychological game most of us don’t enjoy playing. But you are doing great. I just wanted to help you see that.

I don’t track it before I eat. I still eat what I want. I just put it on the app so I can look at to see if macro’s and carbs are good

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #18

Once you get fat adapted your appetite will likely decrease. It does for most of us. I know it is scary to eat so much when you are overweight. But it works. And being used to OMAD is a great advantage many card burners don’t have. What I hear you saying is that you’ve already lost 80 pounds. That is fantastic! You’ve already greatly improved your health even if you never lose another ounce and maintain your loss. I hope that’s not the case, that you continue to lose till you meat* your goal. KCKO

*This was totally a typo… but I’m editing to keep it in.

(Chris) #19

I’d bump your calories up to 24-2600 at least for the next few weeks, then experiment with deficits. Your body gets used to requiring less calories when you restrict. Once you’ve established a higher limit for a few weeks, try dropping 500 calories. But keep undulating calories to keep your body guessing.

I was omad before starting keto and have not cheated once. May have gone over on carbs in first few weeks. Not knowing cause I wasn’t counting cheese as carbs, but since week 2-3 I was counting in my head. Then still not seeing any loss in a month I started with my fitness pal just so i can see the numbers and the pie chart helps me. I eat what I want and if I’m still hungry I eat pork rinds to help fill me up

(Ellie) #21

I agree with @Dread1840 's post above.
Also listen to the 2ketodudes podcast called Switching it up, you might find that helpful. We can get a but stuck in terms of routine and calories and our bodies adapt. We need to keep them guessing!

Also don’t forget that the close you get to goal weight, the slower it goes, and the more likely to are have tangible effects from water weight, lack of sleep, stress etc etc.

Man, I don’t think I can eat that much I had 4 burgers the other day with 3 hard boiled eggs and I couldn’t eat the last one. It got in 12 Oz’s I would’ve been sick if I ate anymore. What I’m eating now fills me up and I don’t want to start eating multiple times a day. Any ideas as how to get in more calories in one sitting?

Thanks for the link. Now I won’t look so stupid asking how to find it. Lol. Oh wait, I think I just did anyway