I'm new and confused

(Running from stupidity) #3

Really, all you have to do early on is keep your net carbs under 20g, eat plenty of good food, and make sure you’re getting enough salt/electrolytes.

Seriously, that’s it to start with. Ignore the numbers, someone just decided on them (and for athletes), weight will go up down and around, exercise will make basically no difference (although it is good for you it can be hard early on if you’re pushing it), no idea, my sleep is crap anyway.

Bottom line - it’s all fine, re-read first paragraph repeatedly :slight_smile:

(Claire) #4

Thank you for the reply, just needed a bit of reassurance its all expected. I think in the UK we do total carbs so do you know how I work out net? I’ve just read you subtract the fibre?

(Running from stupidity) #5

I think the UK uses net? Is the fibre on a completely different line? If so, prob net.

(Running from stupidity) #6

Yep, you are. So the carbs shown is net carbs. Too easy.

(Janice Lumsden) #7

Hi Claire, from what I understand, anything above .5 means you are in ketosis. From what I have read, unless you have a medical need, such as epilepsy or cancer, I don’t think you have to push it. What you are seeing is what I normally get, too, unless I am in a longer fast. Also, if you are following a keto diet for the purpose to heal a messed up metabolism such as IR, trust that it is working. You should see great results over time with lower I insulin and blood sugar levels. Relax about the weight loss. So much changes are occurring in your body, weight often is not a good measurement of your success. Likely you are losing inches, clothes fitting better, you have more energy, blood pressure and blood sugar returning to normal levels. The scale is a very crude measuring system and does not tell you how much is fat, water weight or lean body mass. All of these change and fluctuate regularly. Just because you see weight fluctuations, or no change, does not mean you are not losing or gaining fat. So, relax a bit on the weight, and look for other markers for progress. Weight is only one marker, and a very crude one at that. Some people on this journey stop weighing themselves, or do so only on occasion, as it can make one crazy and obsessed.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #8

First off, keep it at 20 grams of carbs or under, for the first few months - you can experiment later. I’m at seven months - and my ketones swing from 0.2 to 2.5. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. I eat perfect keto, my ketones tank. I have a cheat meal, they go way high. I check blood glucose and ketones, but I don’t panic - I just say to myself “noted.” Blood sugar is a more immediate measurement, it goes up after meals, or way up if you eat the wrong thing. Ketone levels reflect what you ate (Rosa’s tamales), did (exercise), or felt (stress) a day or two before. Keto is well worth it - I have lost the weight, improved my blood markers, and lowered my blood sugar. Keep at it! . A few weeks is too soon to gauge anything - most people’s ketone levels go up in the first few months (blood levels.) And yes, the insomnia passes - I am logging nine hours a night of blissful sleep.

In case you haven’t seen this - a very helpful link.

(Carl Keller) #9

Welcome to the forum. @Regina posted a link to the FAQ that should answer most of your questions and cronometer.com can help you with net and total carbs. Don’t be discouraged by a single week. A woman’s hormones can greatly influence losses and gains but if you stick to the plan @juice gave you, good results await you.

THis might be due to not getting enough salt. Make sure you get 2+ teaspoons per day… when we are fat-fueling our bodies, our bodies don’t hold on to excess sodium very well.

(less is more, more or less) #10

Not wishing to further confuse our new initiate, I’ve found that taking a magnesium supplement to be a wonderful sleep aid, in addition to helping with muscle cramps.

High salt is not a necessity. I am on a restricted salt, keto diet. I have as close to 1500 mg of salt every day.

I didn’t know insomnia was a part of adjusting. I was an insomniac prior to starting keto and now I have a much easier time falling asleep. ymmv

I do take magnesium, as I am also on a PPI.

Melatonin may also help :slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #12

And that would be me. I don’t even own a scale. Scales do not show body composition. I do, however, get a dexa scan periodically which shows me my exact lean mass and even visceral fat to the gram.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #13

That’s great that it’s working for you, but most of us will need between 3000 and 6000 mg of sodium a day in order to be comfortable and function properly.

It actually is rare that I come across anyone who can function well on less than 3000 if they are truly ketogenic with an accurate 20 net grams of carbohydrate a day.
Interestingly, when sodium is not on point neither is potassium.
Low-sodium can cause fatigue and constipation and worse- dehydration and headaches.

Sodium is the number one issue that I have with clients learning how to fast and eat low carb.

For anyone wanting to learn more about sodium, try reading The Salt Fix book by my friend
Dr. James DiNicolantonio

(Claire) #14

Thank you, although I think we are total as we have a separate fibre figure but that’s easy to calculate.

(Running from stupidity) #15

https://www.naturalketosis.co.uk/blog/2015/03/what-is-the-difference-between-total-carbs-and-net-carbs

Are there any web consumable truly scientific studies around salt consumption and keto? There is precious little true research on keto/low carb to begin with, and I would assume there is a dearth of information regarding sodium consumption when on keto.

I am sorry but I think it is dangerous to tell people with a blanket statement that they need to increase sodium intake due to X reason without some sort of proof.

I am low sodium because its a trigger for my meniers, there are others that have various reasons they need to be on a low sodium diet, and it isn’t necessarily a reason to not do Keto.

(Carl Keller) #17

No worries. A few sources suggested restlessness can be caused by low sodium, but I’ve never experienced this. I’m sure your suggestion is most likely the proper fix. It still won’t hurt to get your sodium quota too.

(Running from stupidity) #18

That’s probably why Brenda said the following:

but most of us will need between 3000 and 6000 mg of sodium a day in order to be comfortable and function properly.

It actually is rare that I come across anyone who can function well on less than 3000 if they are truly ketogenic with an accurate 20 net grams of carbohydrate a day.

Both of those statements indicate that it not always the case. (all emphasis mine) However, it is generally so.

(Running from stupidity) #19

Yup, and as Brenda pointed out, it does somewhat obvious/immediate things like help with dehydration and headaches, but also completely invisible things like help fix potassium in your system.

(Carl Keller) #20

Popular thinking (and research bias) would agree with you. Dr. Fung does not.

(Running from stupidity) #21

I reckon I could date these videos of Jason just by how he looks, I’ve watched so many of them :slight_smile:

“Oh yeah, that’s from about 2013, that one.”

:smiley:

Hypertension isn’t the only reason to restrict sodium.