I'm Diabetic

(Robin) #61

Nope. I rarely recommend anything specifically. It’s so individual.
I try to stick with heavy cream whenever possible.

Why the cream first? It’s an odd direction to me… But I LOVE cream and find sweetened black coffee quite odd. Even without cream (my SO and me tried a lactose free year or two at some point), I used some milk substitute and diligently reduced my sweetener until it reached zero. I never will really like black coffee but sweetened coffee? That is weird to me now and definitely not appreciated as much as an unsweetened one. Unless it’s lightly sweetened whipped cream with a little coffee in it but I probably am over that state too. Whipped cream is just pure perfection with its natural sugars (and a little vanilla and clove).

What I’m really asking Paul is if you believe one cup of coffee a day with 10 creamers from McDonal’ds is not a good idea on a keto diet.

I thought the fat content in the creamers would make it a good choice.

(Jane) #64

I have seen them pulse powder into their coffee, so that definitely is not “dairy” and should be avoided. Other McD’s they use half & half which is ok. I don’t get coffee at McD’s so I can’t answer that - just order a sausage McMuffin with egg and cheese sans the muffin. I usually am carrying my own coffee from home loaded with heavy cream and maybe even butter.

When I order a Starbucks I ask for whole milk, which isn’t as good as cream but an acceptable sub IMO.

Thank you but I know they use liquid creamers at the McDonald’s I go too but your choice is better to bring your own heavy cream.

(Jane) #66

Yes, and even “olive oil mayo” only has some olive oil in it and also soybean oil.

Occasionally I will buy regular mayo because I get lazy but only rarely. I make my own mayo with olive oil, an egg, salt and a bit of Dijon mustard.

For salad dressings I drizzle olive oil over my salad and add a splash of vinegar… or make my own - lots of recipes out there.

Yes very good choice olive oil and any vinegar

(Jane) #69

I bought this off Amazon (not sure which country you are in)

because it will make mayo from 1 cup of oilive oil with a small hole in the top to drizzle the olive oil in. I use it all the time for other dressings, marinades and anything that needs to be chopped/pulverized/blended in small batches.

Dang - I paid $35 for it 2 years ago… Now it is $54.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #70

I don’t know; that’s just the way it worked. I didn’t think about it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #71

I listed the ingredients, and you can look up the fat and carbs if you don’t already know. It’s up to you to do the arithmetic, check out the ingredients, and decide for yourself.

One of the reasons I drink my coffee black (apart from the fact that I really prefer it that way) is precisely not to have to worry about such things.

Indeed. Including DATEM. Weird stuff.

Can you explain why some of the cooking oils are not good on a keto diet plan? Sunflower, safflower, corn, vegetable, etc.I know Canola oil is a GMO product and soybean oil is also not a good choice. Thank you

Health reasons. Not all fats are healthy.
They don’t keep you from being in ketosis but most ketoers here want good health, not just being in ketosis. Sure, the latter may be a big improvement already but why to do things halfway?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #75

The industrial seed oils are mostly polyunsaturated fatty acids, and most of them are new to the human body. No one knows what effects they might have, but what little we do know is not good. They get into cell walls (which are mostly fat and cholesterol) and don’t work as well as the fatty acids that are supposed to be there. They are also unstable and oxidise readily at cooking temperatures, and those oxidised products have deleterious effects when consumed. Furthermore, polyunsaturated fatty acids, particularly the ω-6 types, tend to promote systemic inflammation.

Nina Teicholz goes into the manufacturing processes of these industrial seed oils and the effects of the oils on the body. She also points out that these oils leave a toxic buildup, which is very difficult to remove, in the kitchens of the restaurants that use them—not to mention that the workers’ uniforms sometimes spontaneously combust during laundering.

This is why we recommend using animal fats, which are mostly mono-unsaturated and saturated fatty acids. And what polyunsaturated fatty acids they do contain are ones we’ve evolved to deal with.

BTW, canola oil is, so far as I understand, not a GMO product. It is a variety of rape bred to yield an oil low in erucic acid (CAnada Oil, Low Acid), but it was bred by traditional means not produced by gene-splicing, which is the usual meaning of “GMO.” It is definitely corn, and also, I believe soy that have been genetically modified to make them more tolerant of the pesticide glyphosate (Roundup).

The glyphosate does not end up in the final product, but it is certainly deadly to the microbial life in the soil, and dead soil threatens the future of monocrop agriculture, and hence our food supply. Fortunately, regenerative farmers have found that techniques that restore the soil also allow them to grow crops without using herbicides and pesticides, and they therefore have no need of GMO corn or soy.

Animal fats, olive oil, avocado oil and butter. Are these the only safe oils to cook with?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #77

Of the oils, the fruit oils (avocado, coconut, and olive) have a reasonable polyunsaturated content, are minimally processed, and stand up reasonably well to cooking.

But, myself, I prefer to cook with animal fats: butter, bacon grease, lard, and tallow. They are mostly mono-unsaturated and saturated fatty acids, with a small percentage of polyunsaturated acids.

I consider coconut oil okay, I use it for the high-carber who (for some strange reason) hates lard in anything but pork dishes… And for desserts when the nowadays 3-4 times as expensive butter isn’t needed. Butter easily burns so I don’t use it for frying or it’s some super careful quick thing, it does goes well with many things and butter is tasty while coconut oil is tasteless. Good lard is tasty and cheap but I render it from my too fatty pork anyway so that’s the best for me :smiley:

I must be overdoing things the past few days I was feeling so good but my shoulders both of them are sore. However I’m continuing with the keto diet. I confess I did take a couple of NSAIDS.

(Bill) #80

Cream, single ingredient and as thick as possible .
Mine is 50% fat 1.6% carb. In the UK known as “double cream”.