I'm Diabetic

I just found out I’m diabetic, hba1c 7.2. I get up every two hours at night to pee. I’m hungry.every 3 to 4 hours. Honestly I must’ve been diabetic at least a year. I’m only 10 lbs over my ideal weight. I’ll be 69 years old this month. I’ve been on a keto diet plan for 5 weeks now which is a very good diet for diabetics. I don’t plan on taking dr prescribed meds for this. Any suggestions? Thank you

(Bob M) #2

Keep going and wait a while. It’ll take some time to recover, though your HbA1c should go down quite quickly. If you have to eat multiple times per day, do so. At some point, you should find you don’t get hungry and can extend times between eating, or even dropping some meals.

Don’t worry about rules: if you’re hungry right before bed, eat something. It’s not ideal (causes higher morning insulin, supposedly), but I do this all the time, while still losing weight.

(Bill) #3

Get yourself a blood glucose meter and start monitoring… when you wake up, before and then 1 and 2 hours after meals. Have a look at what those meals do to your blood sugar and then adjust accordingly (usually by removing more carbs).
For even greater impact try limiting your eating window too.

Great but 5 wks is still a youngin’ on an eating plan change. Body takes time to heal/repair, re-balance hormones etc. Time is key.

Yup, keep to what the Keto Plan is all about…around 20g carbs total per day and then it has to be life long change and you eat this way for life.

Time and no going back. the first gives reason why changes will never happen overnight, second says you gotta eat this way for life to hold all the changes you acquire from the first.

best of luck!!!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

If you get hungry quickly, try eating more fat and protein at your meals. Unlike most diet plans, a ketogenic diet relies on controlling what we eat, not how much we eat. Without elevated insulin interfering with just about every bodily process, the body can regulate itself much better.

Unlike Type I diabetes, which is an auto-immune disease, Type II diabetes is a disease of insulin resistance. You might even call it “carbohydrate intolerance,” as a number of researchers do. The key to lowering insulin is to stop stimulating the pancreas to keep secreting it. Since (except for sugars) carbohydrates are nothing more than glucose molecules bonded together in various ways, eating carbohydrate is a major stimulus to insulin secretion, which raises blood sugar and leads to fat storage and all kinds of other problems. So when we stop overloading our system with glucose, we are giving our body a chance to work to repair all the damage.

Five weeks is just the beginning of a ketogenic diet, since fat adaptation (the period during which muscles get better at metabolising fatty acids) generally takes from six to eight weeks. So stay the course, and eventually your blood sugar will drop low enough, long enough for your HbA1C to drop to a healthier level.

Don’t forget, this site was founded by two guys who both reversed their Type II diabetes by eating a ketogenic diet. So it can be done.

Paul if I ate any more fats and protein there wouldnt be enough left for the rest of us lol. I am continuing with the plan. Thank you

(Robin) #7

It’s all good news. You are so fortunate to find out about your T2D now, after you have a.ready begun the treatment.
I look forward to hearing your progress.

sorry probably got ya beat in my first year carnivore. I ATE SO much it would make anyone’s head spin LOL, it did mine and believe me I was ‘wondering’ about what I got into with an eating change, but ONLY the great came from eating more and more, so it IS the way forward if we allow it to be just that :sunny:

I saw people eating barely anything from my viewpoint talking about how much they eat… It’s not very informative… And anyway, we are individuals and not even with the same needs every day.
Just saying.

I don’t think there is anything even remotely getting hungry quickly, 3-4 hours is a long time from my viewpoint, I almost never last that long especially without much carbs (it’s about how much I eat in one sitting and that’s way easier with more carbs). Well I don’t start to eat early and stop getting hungry if I ate enough for the day, that changes things. Eating every 3-4 hours ALL day would annoy me like crazy… Unless I could pull it off with quick, tiny meals.

I didn’t write before as I can’t say anything smart regarding diabetes. But as the others say, 5 weeks is little time, continue keto and hope for the best! Good luck!

Now that I know I’m diabetic, I most certainly will stay keto.

Just following keto will do the trick, and at 7.2 that’s all you really need to do. But as far as the meds, for something like Metformin, really nothing wrong with that. That can be beneficial otherwise. That said, so is Berberine. There’s plenty of meds you don’t want any part of usually (like Statins) but they’re a different story.

Thank you for your input. I’ve been getting up to pee at night since my 30’s due to an enlarged prostate, never every two hours till recently.So I just thought things had progressed. The a1c test showed I am diabetic but hopefully a keto diet will reduce the 7.2 to a more acceptable number.

It will definitely knock a 7.2 down to normal levels, you on Finateride/Dutasteride or anything for the prostate? That’ll get that under control pretty quick, then the peeing stops. That’s the real use for it, although most take it for male pattern baldness, myself included! Works like a champ, don’t remember what my last PSA was, but I know it’s low as hell haha.

I used to take it years ago but stopped taking finasteride. I try to avoid medications as much as possible these days. Luckily I’m able to fall,back to sleep after the bathroom visits…

I’m going the natural route taking Canthex capsules 3 x daily. Contains alpha lipoic acid, biotin, chromium polynicotinate and zinc

(Scott) #15

You are not “just now type ll” You have likely been that way for ten years or more and your body was masking it. If you correct by keto or carivior diet you should do well. You are in the right place here.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

The problem, as Scott is alluding to, is that insulin-resistance begins long before glucose actually starts to get out of control. Unfortunately, the diagnostic standard relies on glucose level, so it can appear as though one has suddenly become diabetic, whereas the real problem is that insulin resistance has been increasing steadily over the last twenty years or so, but only now is the pancreas finding it difficult to pump out the vastly increased amount of insulin required to keep glucose under control.

The late Dr. Joesph Kraft, a diebetologist, used to maintain that it was possible to determine, from the pattern of the insulin response during an oral glucose tolerance test, that a patient is already a diabetic, even though it might take twenty more years for his or her glucose control to break. Dr. Kraft called this “occult diabetes” or “diabetes in situ.” He identified five standard patterns of insulin response, only one of which was healthy.

It’s my fault. The last few years my carbohydrate intake was way out of control. But because I never gained much weight, I never worried about it. However I can recall, even in my 30’s if I missed a meal, I would get shaky, dry eyed and have brain fog. But since I worked in a hospital I asked the house dr to check my glucose. He said it was fine so i took it for granted I was ok… This must’ve been a warning sign that I was pre diabetic and led to me becoming diabetic. Diabetes may even be contributing to my calcific shoulder tendonitis but I’m not sure. But I’m definitely sticking with the keto diet.

(J) #18

Be encouraged and keep up the good work. I was at the exact same in February 28th this year. 265lbs. Last time I weighed (late August) I was at 167.8lbs. My a1c by May had gone back down to 5.4. Had to ditch the BP meds (I usually average 105/65 these days, when I check). Also, have been sleeping without a CPAP, and am breaking dependency on it. I focused heavier on protein and got really good amounts of fat in. Before I knew it, I was naturally going 22-30 hours fasting, which is incredibly time and money convenient. It’s been a craaaaaazy ride.

As a former respiratory therapist I used to deliver and setup CPAP for my patients in home care. If the pt lost considerable weight the need for CPAP diminished greatly and the pressure settings would drop considerably as well. The weight loss reduces the constriction of their airway which now allows for the passage of air in and out. Good job.

Just a blurb from a post on zero carb health forum:

My A1C was 5.4, and I’ve only been doing strict Carnivore since July 1st. Down from 7.0 three months ago.

----------------just saying time is key on these changes and will never be the same for ALL of us at all…so hang in there! Your eating changes will give you great benefits and better health, but it is on a personal level for each of us, so hold strong!!!

I thought maybe reading another’s experience would give you some insight. but this is carnivore plan, which you do not have to do at all…Keto Plan can easily give the same benefits but again, time on plan, hold there and watch changes come :slight_smile: