I'm Diabetic

How do you feel about cold cuts and hard cheeses like swiss cheese on the keto diet, are they ok to eat ? What about goat cheese, yogurt and sour cream full fat no added flavorings? I get tired of just eating meat all the time. Thank you

(Bob M) #22

Those are all good.

And if you can handle vegetables, you can eat them too. (I personally don’t eat many now, but used to eat a lot of them.)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

The things you mentioned are all fine on a ketogenic diet. As for cheeses, the longer they’ve been aged, the less lactose and galactose they contain, apparently. I love pepperoni and Jarslberg cheese as snacks—Lord knows I eat enough at meals, but sometimes I just crave having something in my mouth, and better something keto than something carby! (Pork rinds are also good in that situation.)

The thing to watch with yoghurt is the added sugar. Anything full fat and unflavoured should be fine. If you live in the U.S., try the Cabot Creamery full-fat, unflavoured Greek yoghurt. It’s good on its own, and even better with a little heavy cream poured on it.

Thank you Paul. You mentioned all the foods I enjoy.Aged cheeses, I’l remember that one. I understand coffee with lots of creamers is good too

(Robin) #25

Everything is better with heavy cream. Period.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

And bacon. Don’t forget the bacon! :milk_glass: :bacon::milk_glass: :bacon::milk_glass: :bacon:

Everything is better with (more) egg yolks if you ask me (except seitan. odd but it got worse when I tried. I don’t think there is a dish where I didn’t try to add yolks at some point)… But each to their own I suppose.
(I love sour cream too, it suits so many dishes but it adds fat too easily and I trained myself out of using it much.)

I’d be careful with this one. I know we don’t count calories* on a ketogenic diet, but lots of (presumably heavy, not half-half) creamer may be zero-ish carb, but calorie dense. It’s amazing how those can add up over the course of a day with several cups of coffee.

*(we don’t count calories, but calories still count)

Agree! I forget about adding the coffee when HWC is around :joy:

I drink one cup of coffee in the morning. I thought the high fat content in creamers made it a good choice to add lots of it.

Any dressings, sauces or marinades that are keto friendly or should I just be mindful of their carb/sugar content? Thank you

Love the bacon

Explain why are we worried about fat content on keto?

Explain why are we worried about calories on keto?

It may be, it’s very individual. I am an extreme case, I should avoid or minimize everything that has much more fat than protein. While some people should add fat to things to get their calories.

WE aren’t. I should. And many others. We don’t want to overeat fat, it’s unhealthy, wasteful and one easily gains (or don’t lose fat in my case).
It may be not the problem for most people but it is for some of us who tend to overeat fat. At least in some items. Many people have fatty items they can eat too much of. Cream is that for some.

And calories matter too. Overeating fat is a problem for me as I overeat calories and stay fat, it’s wasteful and unhealthy etc.
Just eating a ton of fat is fine and dandy for me, I just rarely use it up.

But for a keto diet animal fat is a good thing, no? We shouldn’t be eating only lean meats and cutting away fat right?

Can somebody clarify please

I don’t worry about calories on a ketogenic diet because my higher-fat approach produces a satiety that results in eating fewer calories overall. All I indicated (in response to your reference to “lots of creamers”) was that calories do matter for weight loss due to the laws of thermodynamics. This is not to be confused with “worrying” about calories or even counting them.

However, that being said, given your statement you have cream with one coffee per day, then I certainly wouldn’t think twice about that much cream. It was the “lots of creamers” comment that sounded like you were drinking coffee (and creamers) all day, such that you’d be ingesting hundreds of extra calories, which would likely lead to no/slow weight loss. Just ask those folks who were adding tons of butter and coconut oil to their coffee.

Yes, animal fat (until you’re no longer hungry) is a good thing. No clarification needed. @Shinita was careful to note in her post that she was speaking about herself and her needs and what she’s figured out, not necessarily that it would be true for anyone else.

Since we’re talking about individual needs here if I don’t have a weight problem then there’d be no need to limit fat calories on a keto diet is that correct?

All the bacon, butter pork fat, full fat sour cream/yogurt, etc, I want correct?

My apologies. I missed the part about your weight being close to optimal in your first post. So you can ignore my calories observations. Again, I apologize for missing that.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #40

There are various issues with commercial products, but anything you make at home will likely be fine.

As Dr. Phinney points out, the main challenge of the standard American diet (SAD) is not to get enough ω-6 fatty acid, but to avoid getting wildly too much. Soy bean oil, which is the cheap ingredient at the base of most commercial dressings and sauces, is mostly ω-6 fatty acids. If you make your own mayonnaise, or stick to olive oil and vinegar on your salad, then you can avoid all that soy.

I don’t particularly worry about the cornstarch in the gravy I make, since it gets quite diluted by the time the gravy gets poured out of the pan. And I make it with heavy cream, which is mostly mono-unsaturated and saturated fat. (I suppose butter would do just as well for the roux, come to think of it.)

I don’t know of any marinade recipe that involves sugar, so that wouldn’t be a concern for me. But a quick marinade of vinegar or lemon juice, a bit of olive oil, and some Italian seasoning would certainly be low-carb enough not to cause concern.