I'm cold all the time!

(Richard Morris) #41

Yes good call. A shortfall in available energy can be hormonal as well as substrate driven.

In my case I am probably not iodine deficient because several times a week I’ll have 5 roasted Nori (seaweed) with cheese and vegemite on it as a snack :slight_smile:

(Kimberly O) #42

Thanks! Always learning. :slight_smile:

(Kathrine) #43

Hey Anna :slight_smile:

Is your objective to lose weight? If so, have you lost weight since January?
My body does the same. Sometimes I get cold hands and feet but if I eat some food they get warm again.

I also tend to be cold, and I’m scared that I have low thyroid…

What is your experience?

(AnnaLeeThal) #44

My initial objective was weight loss, but really overall health and diabetes prevention. You can listen to some of my journey on episode 107 of 2 Keto Dudes podcast.

I am almost 8 weeks postpartum with my Keto baby. The only time I have experienced the cold feeling recently is when I stopped dairy and lost 5 pounds in the process. I was eating more than sufficient fat, so I think my cold feeling was more due to active weight loss/fat burning. It’s hard to know though after just having a baby.

(Jane Lapointe) #45

This gives me encouragement that maybe I will stop being cold all the time, which has been my norm all my life, even though I have lost weight. I wonder if I had started this WOE when I was younger if I could have stood the cold better in the areas I was living in!

While I am no expert, the general recommendation I have seen are .8 - 1.5 grams per kilogram of lean body mass. Not per lb. A kilo is 2.2 lbs. So you are eating roughly double protein than what I am at half a foot taller. Ketogains is a ketogenic program but it is also based on calorie restricted eating. If that works for you, great. I have been on this for 11 months and I never count calories. I feel they are not relevant. Part of what makes this work for me is that I can let my body guide me as to how much I want to eat although I do limit eating windows to the extent possible Once a month or so I log a day into Cronometer to get a sense of whether I am meeting micronutrients. Interestingly one I am always deficient in is iodine. I have started supplementing a small amount but since I have Hashimotos when I did the research it was not clear whether this was a good idea for me. In my case I also needed to supplement with selenium if I was going to supplement with iodine

Also, having a higher level of protein may still spike insulin. Protein in excess of body needs will turn to sugar at about half the rate of a carb through the liver and gluconeogenisis

(Ron) #47

Keep in mind that Chronometer is not very accurate on iodine intake and even tells you that its food data base lacks data on iodine percentages.

Thank you! I had no idea. I was getting worried that I never eat iodine! What about Chromium that is the other one that is usually low

(Kimberly O) #49

Yes! I misspoke, .9 per kilo of lean. They use the same as keto gains. :slight_smile: Thank you for your advice! I’m still losing weight. And absolutely still learning. :heart:

(T DFDFFDF) #51

my keto meals consists of a lot of cruciferous veg, i done some quick research and found out that these types of veg lowers ur iodine levels effecting ur thyroid gland. this in turn leaves u feeling very cold. i bought iodised salt. now im not too cold to get out of bed in the morning or too cold to leave my house with jumpers, and jackets even tho its warm outside.

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #52

Since I started my hands get cold all the time. I also get chilled more often.

(L V) #53

Cold brr very cold today at day 6 but then i was hot earlier. I think my temps been fluctuating since day 3. I just eat more almonds and power thru. Let me know if youve had any improvements, since it would be something to look forward to :slight_smile:
lV

(Empress of the Unexpected) #54

I do tend to get colder when eating on a time restricted program. But then again, I’ve had cold hands my entire life, so I can’t really tell. I think the general advice is, if you are getting cold, eat more.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #55

Hypoglycemia can make you feel cold. This could happen while your body makes the switch from burning carbs to fat. I remember drinking hot beverages like tea and broth to warm me up but it didn’t last long, a couple of weeks, maybe. Now I appreciate an overall lowered body temp and find that hot flashes aren’t nearly as terrible.

(mole person) #56

I think at this early stage I’d recommend eating a bit more and even a bit more often until your fat burning ramps up a bit. This may temporarily negatively affect your weight loss, however both can be reduced again in a few weeks when you are suffering less.

The other option is what @PetaMarie suggested. Drink hot fluids. Also take hot baths. Even two a day. They will help for hours. The coldness is temporary and should dissipate by week four.