I'm at the "This Sucks" stage

(Montrell Carter) #1

Well, I’m on day 22. Or 23. My mood isn’t great, I’m tired all the time, my workouts are crap and my whole body is sore most of the time. I take all of the electrolytes, I eat enough fat, I certainly drink enough water and so far at least, it’s netted me feeling pretty crappy and being a few pounds heavier. The weight doesn’t bother me; I didn’t start this diet for weight loss; I started it to deal with SIBO. Frankly, at this point I’m sticking with this out of stubborness. All of the studies that have been done on carnivore and SIBO indicate that it takes an average of 30 days of following the diet to eradicate the bacteria. I also told myself that I would give it at least 30 days when I started this. The biggest negative for me at this point is the soreness and mood affecting my training. I’m a pro crossfitter and pretty much since I started this, my training has been wildly inconsistent. Some days I’m ok. Others I feel like hell. I’m pretty tired of eating just meat, but to be fair, because of my training, my diet pre carnivore was pretty monotonous as well, so this isn’t an essential issue for me. Other than my training being affected I guess it boils down to: I’m not feeling ANY better. It’s not like I felt really bad in week 1 and feel a little better in weeks 2 and 3. In fact I would say the opposite is true. I felt good at first, and now every successive day is worse. I don’t think I really even have a question, I think I’m just venting at this point.

Venting is valid.

If you share what you’re eating, maybe some of the carnivores can make some suggestions?

I know many recommend that new carnivores shouldn’t start carnivore and train heavily during adaptation - but I don’t know whether that advice is only aimed at those who were previously sedentary, rather than those who already had an active workout schedule.

Congrats on time on plan so far :slight_smile:

Adaption can be wild for each of us, very different for each of us also and alot of times 30 days is not enough…actual recommendation for this plan is 90 days. It got lowered down to try for 30 cause most people would never commit to 90 and actually so many won’t even make it 30!

Your body is healing/repairing/balancing hormones and detoxing off plant carbs.

And like S said above, big exercise is not good when one comes into this plan…it is take it more easy until one feels good enough to do more.

I hear ya on venting…omgosh did I vent when I started this plan :wink:
I did not get any big bad physical adaption, mine was lower since I was extreme lc coming into this way of eating plan…but my venting was mental. I rarely ate any plant carbs of any kind, but I did have it still in my sights IF I wanted something I had it, but very little, but on carnivore, heck I had to drop it all! Freaked me out that I was losing my carb crutch ya know. It was a mental hard darn time but I know many get big adaption physical issues to deal with too so…key is stay on plan, you will feel wonderful if you don’t push your body too much. If big exercise and the body hurts more, it is telling you something truly. Adaption time one wants to baby themselves just a tad to let the body repair and balance and get thru detoxing etc.

I feel ya tho…it is good to vent it out :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Scream all ya need :clown_face: but in the end, you hold plan, great benefits come your way!!

(Montrell Carter) #4

Well, at this point I’m all 73% ground beef and eggs. In addition to being a cheapskate, I’ve never really been a steak kind of guy. I’m going pretty light on the training, just enough to prevent completely wrecking my competition training schedule during adaptation.

(Marianne) #5

I’m sorry you aren’t feeling any better.

Did you have regular effects from SIBO that you are trying to eradicate? For someone who doesn’t know anything about this, how do those manifest?

I’ll leave the commenting to others, however, the only one suggestion I have is to cut back on you water consumption.

Good luck.

(Marianne) #6

I’m a big proponent of listening to my body. As you say, if it hurts, reassess and dial it back. Our bodies should have more of a say than just be subjected to our will and whims.

I guess ignorance can be bliss. I had no intention or plan of going carnivore, and just naturally morphed into it as that seemed to be my eating preference. I didn’t know virtually anything about it except for seeing some thread titles here and hearing that it was a thing through that. I was eating very minimal vegetables just to eat them. If they weren’t a conduit for salt and fat, I would have stopped long before I did. So, in my experience, I didn’t experience any detrimental effects to going full carnivore. The only thing I noticed was that I seemed to require way more food, which was confusing and somewhat alarming to me. Of course, I took my questions here and was told that that was normal. Another thing in my favor is that I am retired and don’t have a lot of the everyday stressors that many people have to navigate. I think that makes any adjustment easier.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

You’ve been eating however you were eating for years or decades (you don’t mention your age) and suddenly you’re giving your body and metabolism nothing but ground beef and eggs. You thought that would just be like putting on a pair of brown socks instead of blue socks? This stuff is biochemistry, not magic. Maybe your unwanted bacterial guests don’t like it either and are trying to convince you to stop and feed them again. Be patient. It’s going to be uncomfortable for a while, your ‘competition training’ is going to take a hit for a few weeks or months. You’re not only changing your fuel sources you’re also battling a serious bacterial infection. Stick with it and you will be glad you did so. Best wishes.

Great post!! you morphed into smart travel thru that journey, I fought dropping carbs mentally like there was no tomorrow on this planet LOL

I wanted any and all ways to ‘keep some carby foods’ in my life til the day I literally clicked to this is not me, I must abstain and then it was a fight for who won, crap carb food sugar intake or carnivore. ZC won!! cause literally I had to find a path for success forward and to this day my brain still says eat that other stuff and I have to say, nope, I can not be ‘one of those who can do it’ ya know and still I think, darn HAHA

I found also like you hitting retirement stage does help for sure. We have more time to make it all about our health and what we want vs. being discombulated thru life running at full speed and more where conveneince foods are so easy and our focus can be us. So agree on that for me too!!

(Montrell Carter) #9

I appreciate the response. My ‘competition training’ determines how well I do in competitions which puts food on the table for my family. It’s not a hobby, it’s a profession. My expectation is not and has never been ‘magic’. The die off period for SIBO treated with diet only and not antimicrobials is anywhere from 7-30 days. With no fiber as a fuel source for the bacteria, it’s more like 7-14 days. Complete eradication that is measurable on a breath test may take up to 30 days even with no fiber. Point being, I am beyond the die off stage. Any effects that I am currently experiencing are a result of diet. I will at least continue to 30 days to ensure eradication, but beyond that, we’ll see.

Also OP if you are only eating burger and eggs you are way too limiting. You will get very bored very fast and not get ‘overall nutrition’ thru more carnivore foods.

Not a fan of steak, but WHICH steak is the best you love? filet mignon? buy some on sale somewhere.

Chicken parts you love…eat them up. More fowl like duck ya love?
Seafood, scallops, shrimp, crab, clams and more, never leave out this resource.

Catfish, perch, flounder, cod, tuna, sardines, have at it!

It is go IN ALL meat seafood fish and fowl and do not limit now beginning into this lifestyle. Eggs and filet mignon brought me into this lifestyle actually. Cost me some bucks but the money I saved on health care and my well being now in this WOE is priceless literally, so…find you here please!

(Montrell Carter) #11

I eat organ meat as well. Honestly, I’m not a foodie; I haven’t enjoyed food in years, I just eat for fuel. Steak takes too long to chew, which makes the eating process longer than I care for it to be lol. I also monitor and track all of my nutrients to make sure I’m hitting them.

filet mignon and chuck roast so tender it is just a mushy tender intake is so fast to inhale…well for me HAHA

I can eat lbs of this in a split second :slight_smile:

(Montrell Carter) #13

Yeah, a good roast is pretty tender. My grandma would roll over in her grave watching me make a roast with no potatoes or anything.

HAHA so true but everyone hit the meat before the taters, the taters were that side food, nice thing is any seafood or chicken can be a side to your roast now.

open up the crockpot!! get a big roast and let’er rip in there. lbs and lbs of tender beef…come on, ya want it!

We must always cook and find ways to meet our taste on zc meat options. Tons of meat proteins out there, find them and take that initivative to make it work for you :slight_smile: I had to do it too LOL

(Marianne) #15

No judgement, but why? :cry: Aren’t there foods that you actually enjoy? If they fit into clean keto, I’d start there and try to add to the list. Food can be so pleasurable as well as sustaining. On keto, I love what I eat and enjoy every meal, and the beauty is I don’t have any compulsion to overeat or cravings to eat the former junk I used to binge on.

(Montrell Carter) #16

It’s just kind of my relationship with food I guess. Everything with me is numbers and training, so I just look at food as fuel and a necessary thing. I used to drive my mom crazy with how I would just wolf food down like I was trying to get it over with lol.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #17

Just curious. Was your foray into carnivore simply to eliminate your bacterial infection via diet? So when your breath tests negative you’re back to eating as before? If so, I’d be testing my breath multiple times per day until clear - and maybe you’re doing so.

I fully understand your concern about putting food on the table for your family. I’d also think about the longer term. Maybe this episode is just a one-time event in an otherwise healthy and long life. I hope so. Unfortunately, it might be only the first chapter. Taking a hit now when you’re younger and healthier has a much better potential outcome than waiting until you’re not so young and healthy.

PS: I’m also not a foodie and I think most folks on this forum would cringe at how I eat and how little time I spend doing so. I can relate to getting in, getting refueled and on the road again. The kitchen is not my destination.

(Laurie) #18

There are people who don’t care about food. I knew a person who said, “I wish I could just get all my nutrition from a pill.” Hard for me to imagine, but okay …

@milorc I hope you start to feel better soon, and that your performance will improve. Best wishes.

(Montrell Carter) #19

Correct, my primary goal was to deal with SIBO, which wasn’t caused by low motility or another underlying condition. It was caused by an unnecessary antibiotics prescription combined with an even more unnecessary PPI prescription. So, once the bacteria is gone, I should be ok. My normal diet is a “crossfit paleo” or Zone diet. Meat, vegetables and nuts basically. This is what I would return to UNLESS I just feel so fantastic on carnivore that I decide to keep on going. That’s the unknown right now. The fact is I’ve got 3 or 4 more years MAX of being young enough to continue to make a living (but certainly not millions or anything) from Crossfit. I can’t afford to have my performance suffer for long periods of time right now unfortunately. But, who knows what tomorrow brings?

(Montrell Carter) #20

Thank you. I think I’d go with a permanent IV rather than a pill…