I'm an idiot apparently

(Jason Christianson) #21

I’m going to try this recipe for making my own quinine syrup:

https://pinchandswirl.com/homemade-tonic-water-for-the-ultimate-gin-and-tonic/

But I’ll definitely be reducing the sweetness and using something other than sugar. Actually, I might leave it unsweetened entirely and mix on the go. Gives me the most flexibility.

I also like that it’s a syrup that gets mixed with carbonated water. That means easier to store, lasts longer and I have a soda stream because I love to make sparkling water already. Seems like a win-win for me.

(Gary Choate) #22

Hi Sue,

A dirty martini is a great option add in blue cheese olives for a bit of fat if you like. Or Vodka Soda with lime is always safe.

Gary

Red wine and champagne have very few carbs.

I do vodka with ice and squeezes of lemon and lime but I have stopped ordering this out as I went to a wedding recently and had a bad reaction to the food and I was the only one who did (I knew many of the other guests and H was with me and he is very sensitive to bad food) so I suspect it was the unclean lemon and limes I had at the bar

At home I have started making my own sloe gin fizzes. I take sloe gin (which I think has no more carbs than any other clear liquor), add seltzer, swerve and fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice

I also make white russians at home with vodka, cream and Tia Maria which may have some carbs

(Jason Christianson) #24

I did make the tonic recipe, making it about half sweet with erythritol rather than sugar. It turned out flipping awesome.

Bourbon on the rocks would kill a wine drinker

(Michelle) #26

I was a wine drinker. I converted slowly. You definitely can’t drink as much bourbon as you can wine.

(Hoteski) #27

Brandy and diet coke for me when I drink. I’m doing a stright keto right now so no alcohol for me as I am determined to get down to the next level (13st anthing) below 196lp for the Americans and 89kg for the rest of the world. I’m 7lp away or 3.1kg from reaching that goal. So I’ll stay away from the brandy for now as I don’t want to slow anything down. Going out in 2 weeks … I’ll drink then.

(Marc Colbeck) #28

I have an interesting point to add to this (as a paramedic) - there is an emergent medical condition called ‘alcoholic ketoacidosis’. Alcohol reduces the creation of sugars from fats and proteins in our body (a process called gluconeogenesis). It also suppresses the production of insulin. If you drink enough alcohol (so, for example, if you binge drink for a day or two) and you are already an alcoholic (and therefore already have depleted glycogen stores and are poorly nourished), then the alcohol forces you your body to rely on ketones in order to keep your brain working. Only, it’s not nutritional ketosis, like we have on the ketogenic diet, it’s ketoacidosis, which is not only dangerous, it’s potentially deadly.

(Chriscat7) #29

I’m in St. Louis. That’s my Go To. I usually laugh at the look on men at the bar when I ask for Jim on the Rockswith a Lemon twist! Very cool :sunglasses:
KETO cool

(Doug) #30

Marc - agreed - for the relatively few areas of the body that do have to have glucose, the liver has to supply that, given certain conditions - like being on a keto diet and being glycogen-depleted, as you said. I never worry about having one drink or two, but as far as “getting annihilated” without eating at least some little bit of carbohydrates beforehand, definitely don’t think it’s a good idea.

(Marc Colbeck) #31

Usually you have to be a chronic alcoholic, and then go on a one or two day bender to actually push yourself into AKA. You can also push yourself into atrial fibrillation with alcohol too, and that’s a bit easier to do. That’s a condition we call ‘holiday heart’.

There’s very little danger of someone who is not a chronic alcoholic pushing themselves into AKA. I certainly don’t mean to be alarmist - I just think it’s interesting in terms of understanding the effects that alcohol has on the body.

I know this is an old post but I make my margarita with La Croix orange soda to get that orange taste, a slice of lime and a little stevia if I want it sweet, and of course your tequila of choice!

(Jason Christianson) #33

I made my own orange liqueur from vodka, congac, orange peel, spices and erythritol. It’s flipping good. Still have to be real mindful of what the amount of sweetner is doing to your insulin.

(Ellen ) #34

2 beers last night and I’m out of ketosis with 2lb weight gain. :frowning:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #35

But even worse than the sugar, is the freaking alcohol ! Yuk ! What a nasty drug. Stick to weed. It has zero carbs, and its not at all dangerous like alcohol :slight_smile:

(Susan) #36

Except this:

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/substance-use-disorder/cannabis-induced-psychosis-review

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #37

Not doubting that in some rare instances, certain individuals have serious issues with weed. But I think it is completely harmless for most, and very beneficial for some, even as much as saving their lives ! We have one friend with cancer, who is in that latter boat !
As for the emergency room visits… Yes :slightly_smiling_face: If you have ever had too many edibles, you would certainly think you were going to die ! But Nobody ever has ! NONE of those emergency room visits were actually required…
Unlike with alcohol, which commonly kills people !

PS, understand that I have not used any weed for over 3 years, because my GF doesn’t, and so I refrain out of respect for her, but I am still 100% pro marijuana.

(Susan) #38

My brother in law developped Schizophrenia from it and took his own life; and so have others we know, including some friends of my kids, this is why I looked that article up to post that. There are just two sides to the debate is all, but I know it does help for some people in certain situations.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #39

Wow ! That is really extreme, and I’m sorry to hear that. To be quite honest, my GF is extremely intolerant to weed, or any THC containing products for that matter. We’ve tested this. And to that I would say, their are people who will die if they eat a peanut… So individuals need to do, or not do whatever they have to for maximum health.
I still try to remind my GF that I smoked (or ate) weed every single day during my 5yr back to fitness phase… But I still don’t think that would be okay with her now. That’s okay… as much as I enjoyed weed, I enjoy having her around MUCH more :wink:
Also, I really appreciate that she doesn’t drink any alcohol ! Because I would totally not be okay with my GF doing a hard core drug like that !

(Susan) #40

Well it is a good thing that the two of you have a honest, healthy relationship and have compromised on some important issues for each other. You seem like a strong, happy couple, and that is fantastic =).