I'm afraid I'm starting to stall - Advice please!

newbies

(Sam) #1

First time posting here! I’m afraid I have a stall coming on and I need some advice from people more experienced.

I started keto on November 27th 2017. Since day one I’ve fasted 16:8 or 19:5.

My current macros are: 25g carbs (I rarely reach up to like 18 daily), 119 fat, 96 protein, 1400 calories. I’ve lost 19 lbs so far.

Currently, my weight is fluctuating really strangely and its annoying me. I weigh every day (I know people say not to but it makes me more anxious to not weigh every morning), and I’ll go from 213, to 214, to 214.5, to 213, to 215. That’s how its been for almost 3 weeks. I’m experience a small amount of measurement changes, but not really enough to make a difference.

I don’t eat too much fat (I usually get to half my macro and I’m no longer hungry), I rarely go over 1300 calories, and I always meet my protein. I haven’t cheated, I weigh and count all my food, I’m dedicated to fasting. I’m starting to feel frustrated!

Any advice on what you think I should do is appreciated.

Keto is not low calorie. Too few calories and too little fat may be your “problem.” We all encounter weight loss plateaus. From what I have read, weighing and counting your food is not recommended for LCHF, Ketogenic or fasting protocols. Seems like you are in the typical ADM (American Diet Mode). If you are a slave to your scale, you will be anxious on this WOE. Have you read Dr. Fung’s books and or Dr. Herring’s books?

Stalling seems to be part of the process. I agree with https://www.ketogenicforums.com/u/steve_keto1; scale watching can drive you crazy. Be on the look out for NSV (non scale victories); looser clothes, slimmer face, more energy, loose rings, improved blood sugars etc. You may also be ready for some longer fasting (24,36, 42h etc) to shake things up. I am religious to this WOE - and still lose weight at a painfully slow pace. But I feel so darn good - I can’t think of doing anything different.
Hang in there - do lots of keto reading/video watching and things will come along :blush:

(Sam) #4

Weird, I’ve been told from the beginning (from the keto subreddit, which I don’t like because its full of condescending elitists) I need to have a significant calorie deficit and to count/weigh my every meal. I agree that I’m addicted to the scale, and I blame the initial water weight lose during my first 2 weeks. I keep expecting my progress to stay the same as it was then. I will try my absolute hardest to weigh only once a week! I’ve been trying, but failing lol.

I haven’t heard of Dr.Fung or Dr.Herring but I’ll definitely look them up.

(jilliangordona) #5

Being told that you need low calorie to lose weight is 100% false! If you are two low you will slow your metabolism and your body works to reach homeostasis.

My advice would be to eat more calories through eating more fat. Add more butter to your meals, choose fattier cuts of meat, etc.

In addition, your weight is going to going fluctuate, and measuring is a much better method of success. I lost a significant amount of inches in a year and my scale has JUST starting moving.

(Sam) #6

Health wise, I do have a lot of NSV. My stomach problems have minimized and my migraines have almost disappeared. I need to focus on that, but it’s really hard. I’ve never been able to lose weight before keto and its come into my life like a miracle so I guess I’m projecting my expectations onto it.

I’ve only been able to do 19:5 fasting a few times, I’m going to stick with it and try to move on to further ratios in the future.

(Sam) #7

I’m glad to hear some good advice for once! I appreciate the info, I’ll work on adjusting my meals accordingly. Frankly I’m glad I don’t have to worry about the calories, it was getting annoying on top of everything else lol.

(Karen) #8

I’ve only recently embraced the higher calorie eating mode. What a difference! Give it a try. Deficit is bunk.

K

In addition to the books, digital and paper on intermittent fasting, low carb high fat, keto, there is free info on YouTube. Dr Herring has a video where he explains the basics of Fast 5. Dr Fung has videos also. If you haven’t been reading, the videos are a good start for info. There are also podcasts you can subscribe. 2ketdudes, Dr Fung and Gin Calhoun Stephens have podcasts. Dr Eric Berg has great info on keto and fasting on his YouTube channel. Most important is not to worry. There are enough challenges and obstacles to this way of eating without adding in anxiety. As someone said in a forum, it’s a marathon, not a sprint. As for weighing yourself, you don’t need to struggle not to weigh yourself. I weigh myself almost daily, but I don’t record it but once a week or two weeks. I find reading helps me to understand why I am doing what I’m doing.

(Dan Dan) #10

Keto is about being ‘Fat Adapted’ using ‘Fat as fuel’ rather than ‘Carbs’ ergo the ‘Low Carb High Fat’. Calories only matter if its the wrong kind.

Examples of wrong calories:

1. Restricting Calories (‘Low Calorie’) - Keto is not ‘Calorie Restricted’. Eat until you are ‘Satiated’

2. Restricting Fat - Keto uses ‘Fat as Fuel’. ‘High Dietary Fat’ is necessary to become ‘Fat Adapted’.

3. High Carbs - Keto is ‘Low Net Carb’. 'High Dietary Carbs will delay or prevent ‘Fat adaptation’.

4. Lean Protein - Keto is ‘Moderate Protein’. Lean meat is high in Protein and low in fat. ‘Fatty Meat is Moderate in Protein and Moderate to High in Fat’ and preferable.

Keep it Simple :smile:

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Dan Dan) #11

If you need a place to start until you get the hang of it :grin:

Keto is keeping your Net Carbs under 20g , Moderate protein, and Fat to satiety.
Its a misconception that Keto is calorie restricted its not, You are switching your body’s fuel source from carbs to fat not cutting calories. :muscle:

Start here

For Men no lower than 2000 kcals

20g C / 125g P / 155g F Macros 5 / 25 / 70

16oz of fatty meat is 120g of Protein and 90g of Fat :grinning:
16oz (5 to 6 cups) low carb mixed veggies 15g to 20g net Carbs :grinning:
add 4 to 6 tablespoons Butter/Fat to Meals 48g to 72g Fat :heart:

For the Ladies no lower than 1500 kcals

20g C / 82g P / 122g F Macros 5 / 22 / 73

12oz of fatty meat is 80g of Protein and 70g of Fat :grinning:
16oz (5 to 6 cups) low carb mixed veggies 15g to 20g net Carbs :grinning:
add 4 to 6 tablespoons Butter/Fat to Meals 48g to 72g Fat :heart:

Just divide by number of meals :thinking:

Calories and Macros are guidelines don’t be strict they are to help you not hinder you :thinking:

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin: