I'm a brewer of Beer

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #1

…as well as some wines and ciders.

TBH, I rarely drink anymore (not a Keto choice, I just drifted away a few years ago) but I still brew anywhere from 30-100 gallons per year for friends and family.

After 15 years, it would be plain mean to stop now. :blush:

Any other active brewers here?
Any distillers? I’m moving in that direction.

Anybody spent any time working in VLC processes? I’ve made several low carb beers, ciders and wines over the years. I’m thinking about trying to make some that are traditionally NOT carb friendly (think more full bodied like a stout or an IIPA, but drying them out and then trying to enhance the flavor profile with keto friendly options.

No point reinventing the wheel if others have done some of the legwork. :grinning:

I brewed 20 gallons of a Blueberry wine last Summer that aged FANTASTICALLY and now tastes great! But I can’t drink due to the residual sugars…:persevere:

I want to make one for me now.

Oh, you and @Mnketo46 might have a lot in common.

(TJ Borden) #3

I used to home brew, but haven’t since starting keto. I actually gave up beer altogether for the first several months, which wasn’t easy; not because it was tough not to drink, because my social life is based on beer. I know most of the brewery and tap room owners in my area and it was weird to not make the rounds for so long.

I’ve added beer back in and I’m still trying to figure out if I’m better off having 1 or 2 several days a week, or just go wild once a week, or less.

IPAs and Stouts are my two styles of choice. Actually my favorite is Cascadian (Black IPA), so yeah, not exactly low carb varieties.

I’ve beem tempted to dust off my equipment and start playing with low(er) carb brews, but I feel like I need to get deeper into the chemistry than I am now to pull it off.

(Frank) #4

A fellow ketoer and I are going to dive into some low carb beer brewing next spring. The season is wrapping up here in northern mn and winters usually a low time for me anyway with brewing. It’s been a very low intake this summer for me. I actually have 8 full corny kegs lined up in my storage freezer/ferment chamber. Should probably have a blowout party before the snow flies or have a winter solstice party. Until then the equipment sits.

So, Frank, when are you going to get serious about this brewing thing. :wink:

(Frank) #6

Too late. :wink:

(TJ Borden) #7

I keep thinking the same thing about a party. I have about 250 bottles in my cellar, and I know I’m never going to drink all of them, but I want to taste them (I’m also an Untappd junkie), so I need to host some bottle shares… where no one else needs to bring bottles

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #8

This. Ive always taken a pretty easy, low-key approach to brewing. I take detailed notes, but then ignore them as I brew “just because.” I make great beers I’m told… Just not exactly the same ones in a repeated fashion.

I think to pull off some lower carb versions of a good stout or IPA I’ll need to get serious about the science: grain choice, mash, fermentation, additions, the whole shebang.

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #9

Your equipment looks like mine…lonely!

I’ve been thinking of going electric lately to make the process more “clean” for indoors, cutting the weather/seasonal aspect out…or down

(Frank) #10

Electric is a real game changer. So much control.

(Nicole) #11

We have taken 10 years off, but the laundry/workroom is now under renovation to make room for the brewing equipment - It won’t be long now. I planted hops several years ago and they have gone to waste all this time. Finally, this year the hops will give their lives for a good cause. I’m the gardener - he is the brewer - it’s a match made in heaven.

(Frank) #12

Hops never go to waste. Those roots grow bigger and stronger every year.

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #13

I don’t brew. I have a tiny kitchen. But I am interested in experimenting and always love to follow beer brewing topics! Especially low carb beers!

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #14

My wife grew hops for a couple of years and I ended up with several pounds of 2 varieties… Cascade and Hallertau. She got tired of those in a hurry. We need to start again, but find some people to trade so we can mix it up a little!

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #15

Some people brew small batches in little kitchens. Look up “brew in a bag” techniques… Or simpler yet, kit beers that include portable fermenters.

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #16

Yes. I thought about buying a kit. I don’t know the first thing about brewing beer, but I always had an interest.

(Frank) #17

It’s an addiction trust me.

(Frank) #18

The brewing that is.

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #19

It’s a surprisingly simple process. You’ll likely make a beer, even if you make a minor mistake.
You can even make good beer without much experience.

Doing the same one 2x? That takes a little more practice. :grinning:

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #20

Thanks Don. I’ll try this soon!