I'll Say One Thing for CICO

(back and doublin' down) #204

Do we know for certain that they did? Or were there some pudgy ancestors too?

(Alec) #205

That is such a great quote. I am so that second kid!!! :joy::joy:

(Adam Kirby) #206

Well I think we have enough evidence that there wasn’t mass obesity. Certainly there have been fat people for a long time… but we’ve also been eating grains for like 10,000 years. I’m thinking further back than agriculture to hunter-gatherers. You would gain weight in the fall as you gorged on fruit then lose it in the winter and spring as you ate mostly meat.

(Terence Dean) #207

I learned how to regulate my intake of 1 kg of Pork belly by cutting it into six pieces but then I’m a fast learner. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Karen) #208

Useful info. Good. For thought. K

(Karen) #209

I am interested in your journey as you have lost a great deal and appear to be in maintenance. While you were losing did you use a deficit? And how long have you kept weight off? Are you still largely keto??

K

(Jennifer Kleiman) #210

I’m close to maintenance but maintenance is a dynamic thing, it’s impossible and unrealistic to expect to hit a goal weight & then remain exactly at that weight every day, haha. I’ve gotten to know how my weight fluctuates due to time of the month, food volume, hydration etc and track scale weight daily along with how my clothes fit so I know if I’m up or down in terms of bodyfat. That’s my new goal, body recomposition - less bodyfat, more muscle, a sexier waist :slight_smile: I still struggle with using food to self-medicate when stressed and it’s been very stressful lately, so I have made some progress & then slipped some back. Anyway I still have some squishy bodyfat around my middle and I can’t do a chin-up. I think I’ll always have goals. But honestly I’m pretty happy with what I see in the mirror.

I started out losing weight from a strict CICO mindset, doing 1200 cals/day of SAD, but naturally gravitated to keto because I found 200 cals of eggs were a lot more satisfying than 200 cals of toast. Then I went full keto but still watched calories, did 1200… that went well. I discovered intermittent fasting and incorporated that, and that was awesome - did two meals a day, light lunch and larger dinner, and that was great. I stopped tracking calories so closely after that because the way I was eating, I just naturally hit the mark. I tried to eat 90% meat and veg with just a bit of dairy, nuts and treats to keep me happy, never did much added oils or fats.

I got to around 145 lbs and hit a ridiculously stable point that I maintained (± 5 lbs) for the past 1.5 years but that was a little higher than my original goal weight. I tried cutting down via increasingly extreme methods - rigorous alternate-day fasting, extended fasting, but every time I let up and ate more I regained back to 145. Finally realized i had all the symptoms of hypothyroidism (and also anemia) and started working with a functional medicine doctor who got my hormones dialed in & anemia fixed yay! That was just a couple months ago. I feel like now I have a lot more strength and energy and got down to 136 a few weeks ago but dealing with older relatives with severe medical issues, well, self-medicated with food a bit… back up to 141. Been home for a couple days now and I’ve gotten back enough mental equanimity, I think, to do PSMF next week to get some of this stress-fat off.

I still mainly do strict keto but my husband’s starting an allulose candy company and I’m helping him taste-test so my diet doesn’t feel very strict. And I have an orchard currently blessed with a great quantity of ripe peaches, blackberries, blueberries… I ate some peaches and felt good about it. Even more off the reservation, I did a potato hack diet a few weeks ago as an experiment to see how I could handle carbs so for 3 days I was wildly NOT keto haha. Still had some ketones though. Now I feel confident that I can handle carbs (at least fruit or potatoes) if/when I want to without glucose problems (I was severely diabetic 4 years ago, 12.1 a1c… all good now though) or getting insane cravings. I definitely have addictive tendencies around food and will avoid trigger foods (refined carbs, most keto imitations of refined carbs, roasted nuts, etc) out of caution and self-awareness. Quest bars are not my friends.

That’s where I’m at :slight_smile: That and weeping over the older relatives.

(Monica Piccirillo) #211

Allulose candy!! Excellent idea! Please keep me posted because I would be in line to order!! Monica

(Karen) #212

Reading your journey with interest. How long will you PSMF and have you done one before??

My father’s memorial service yesterday. I pray for peace and comfort for you. It will come.

K

(Jennifer Kleiman) #213

LET?

Thank you. I’m very sorry to hear about your father. May he live on in your and your family’s hearts forever.

(Karen) #214

PMSF :grinning:. Whoops

(Kaiden) #215

By the purist of coincidences, I did a Google Image Search for “ketogenic memes,” found an older post that mentioned this series of pie charts, and added my recent experience with high fat/low calorie eating.

(Jennifer Kleiman) #216

LOL autocorrect? I think that PSMF Monday-Friday lunch and eating TDEE Friday dinner-Sunday might be a stable pattern for me that results in fat loss without metabolism slowdown, and lets be social around food on the weekends – yay Ketofest soon! I want to cook off 10-15 lbs of fat or at least get my waist looking sprung & diminish the fat deposits around my middle. This is mostly vanity and not for health except that carrying extra weight puts stress on the joints. So it might be 2-3 months? I’ll back off and change things up if I see metabolism slow down or other negative signs. I just started a fitness course last night (“Training for Warriors”, wahoo!) and I’m wondering if that’s gonna increase my appetite but ugh, I still got so much trouble distinguishing real hunger from ‘mmmm food’.

(Karen) #217

Fasting today. What does a day of PSMF look like? Eat a chicken?

K

(Karen) #218

Link?

K

(Jennifer Kleiman) #219

The way I do it, lean meats amounting to 90-100g protein— tuna, lobster, crab, sardines, white fish in general, venison, beef jerky, liver, turkey breast or chicken breast, plus low-carb veg (but not including fatty veg), with condiments like hot sauce, mustard, vinegar, spices… And black coffee, tea and water of course, plus fish oil and regular supplements. So a lot of meat and veg, minimal fats & minimal carbs, idea being to maximally tap the fat from your body while still supplying the essential protein.

Yesterday dinner was venison steak with mustard and pickled chanterelles, and blistered shishito peppers on the side. Today, dinner will be seared ahi tuna steak with wasabi & soy sauce plus oat fiber-shirataki noodles in a Thai peanut sauce (will use PB2 powder). Lunch - leftovers.

May your fast today be easy :slight_smile:

(Karen) #220

Helpful!

I buy into keto,but my bone thin vegan cousin,clearly shows weigh loss results. I’ll try the PSM F after this fast.

K

(Jennifer Kleiman) #221

I love keto for hormone balancing, continuous physical and mental energy and the relief from cravings it’s given me. I absolutely believe that energy deficit is necessary for weight loss (acknowledging a few anecdotal exceptions). The trick is long-term maintenance though right? I can force weight loss through conscious PSMF but can I get my set-point adjusted to a lower level, or will I be fighting hunger/satiety signals? Right now PSMF is just as easy as fasting was, easier even, and I’m not really conscious of hunger or satiety signals so we’ll see.

(Kaiden) #222

I can no longer find the image on Google Image Search, but the forum post is Eating Fat to Satiety

@Paendora Were there voluptuously curved ancestors?

Hell yeah.
I would have been worshipped. :sunglasses: