If you don't have anything nice to say

(Candy Lind) #122

I SHOULD be congratulated when I :poop:, itā€™s so infrequent! :rofl:

(Terence Dean) #123

Wow thatā€™s going back.

We should get a computer geek thread going so we can reminisce about the good olā€™ days of Windows 3. I remember the Apple vs Windows wars well it was always a point of contention that you used Apple if you were a graphics designer but ā€œREALā€ programmers used Windows machines. I was lucky enough to work with both in the mid to late 1990s, it was a friggin nightmare having to deal with files generated on Apple and not being able to read them on Windows and vice versa.

(Kirk) #124

This pretty much describes my first computer.

(Running from stupidity) #125

Children.

What about those of us who started with Windows 2.0?

And yeah, I worked for a place that Apples and Windows machines, complete PITA using Apple stuff, which I see has turned into a long and proud traditionā€¦

(Terence Dean) #126

Thatā€™s stone age material Dad - you old fart!!!

(Running from stupidity) #127

Well, youā€™ve got me there!

(TJ Borden) #128

@CandyLindTX!!! Great to hear from you. How are you liking life back on the road?

(Candy Lind) #129

Remember the portable PCs? 35-40 pounds to lug around? My first one had a 32mb hard drive & 8 megs of ram, IIRC. Makes my head spin to think of that hot mess, compared to my phone that outperforms it exponentially and the solid state drive in my laptop thatā€™s 1TB & a little bigger than a credit card. And now weā€™re COMPLETELY off topic and showing our age ā€¦ :exploding_head:

(Candy Lind) #130

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

My hubbyā€™s best man (ā€˜83) still has and plays with his Atari!

(Candy Lind) #131

It doesnā€™t take an hour to eat an entire birthday cake - what else did you eat? Come on, ā€˜FESS UP! :smiling_imp:

(TJ Borden) #132

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Kirk) #133

DOS 3. And programmed in Dbase 3. Worked on LSI process computers. Programmed machinery with PLC 2. Hexidecimal coding.

We had 16 bits, and we were damn glad to have them.

And we walked to work uphill both ways.

(Candy Lind) #134

OUTSTANDING - never seen this! :clap: :clap: :clap:

(Candy Lind) #135

(Raising hand) Ah, the days of autoexec.bat and config.sys were just on the horizon!

(Candy Lind) #136

Well, I WAS enjoying it until my right thumb/wrist went FUBAR. Home for evaluation & possible surgery. :persevere:

(Candy Lind) #137

5 miles, in the snow. :joy:

(TJ Borden) #138

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. But nice to have you back on here while you have down time

Oh man, I had no idea this was directed at you, I didnā€™t get the Beethoven reference, Iā€™m slow that way.

There are a lot of very decent people on these forums, and Iā€™ve never known you to be anything but. Somehow you manage to be decent and also hilarious, but I guess humor may get lost sometimes. Iā€™ve never seen you be condescending to anyone, much less to women. In fact, I enjoy teasing you about your subservience to your wife because youā€™re such a good sport about it.

(Jane) #140

Windows 2.0 was just a shell, not an operating system. Computer still booted from DOS.

My first computer I owned was a PC. Not a PC-XT. The XT stood for extra slots as in 8. The original PC had either 4 or 6 slots. 8088 processor at a blinding 4.77 MHz. 8087 math co-processor plugged in.

(Running from stupidity) #141

Oh, come on! PACING! Itā€™s important to pace yourself and then you donā€™t fall out of ketosis (attribution: Reddit - r/ketoaustralia - probably. I bet itā€™s there, anyway).

Yeah, same here for the first PC. CRT had a switch on the back to choose between green or amber phosphor. #advanced