If the rule is "eat fat to satiety," then why do people drink BPC

…either when they’re not hungry or as part of a daily routine?

Don’t get me wrong, I love sipping on blended coconut oil, cinnamon, and fresh coffee. It’s heaven.

However, it would seem to me that sometimes people drink BPC for reasons other than hunger (i.e., they’re sated, but they drink it anyway because they feel they have to, should, or that’s “what I do” at 8:00am every day). Doesn’t approaching BPC in this way go against the rules of “listen to your body/hunger” and “eat fat to satiety”?

And, further complicating matters, fat is a upper limit, not a goal, so that further makes me wonder why BPC is consumed regularly, routinely, or when not hungry.

Maybe I’m overthinking it. Perhaps it is as simple as “It fits in my daily macros, I’m not overeating calories on a daily basis (i.e., past my TDEE) due to it, I’m still losing weight/healthy, and I enjoy it!” ?

Low(er) fat keto?
(bulkbiker) #2

I have one in the morning to replace breakfast/ lunch usually. I just have coffee with double cream (UK based) which is my version.
Maybe because people like them and they aren’t overly concerned about calories?

I break my fast with BPC every day at about 4pm. It’s a delightful treat that feels like splurging and helps me get through the busy late afternoon hours that go along with having four kids in the house.

Right. This is why I raised the TDEE/calorie point above. I suppose if BPC “fits” into one’s daily numbers and overall goals (and they don’t have weight to lose), I can see this. But, for those of us who have tons of kcals of fat stores to burn/use, it would seem that BPC would just temporarily derail that. Don’t I want my body eating its own fat stores instead of the BPC’s fat?

I’d suspect you’re in a caloric deficit/neutral situation if you’re OMAD’ing, or 23/1’ing each day. So, I can see how 300 fat calories might not be counterproductive.

P.S. I know my posts have a strong CICO/conventional wisdom sound to them. I don’t subscribe to CICO or conventional wisdom (look at my username!), but I do believe that long term energy deficits are necessary to lose weight, and I’m wondering/questioning whether BPC impedes those deficits over time.

I’m more of a 19/5 kind of guy.

I have it for breakfast, but breakfast is when I am hungry. I also eat within my daily allowance, but fully get that it isn’t nutrient dense.

Its also quick and easy on the washing up!

I’m really not a fan of BPC from a marketing point of view. It’s really marketing to sell overpriced MCT oil and coffee. The entire world of coffee maker and this guy happen to invent a method to process it with less ‘toxin’ than the rest and it’s not even certified organic. The claim that Europe have the better coffee while US gets the low quality coffee makes zero sense whatsoever, especially when you can order organic equal exchange coffee online and even get organic fair trade at wholefoods. His idea of making a health blog and latch onto various researchers in the keto field also help the brand image and other health boost products are doing the same like Nootrobox. Personally, I like the idea of natural digestion, so I’m not a fan of abusing MCT, exogenous ketones, energy drink or green juicing. I can see those things have a place if you are athletic and wants need to boost performance.

I think the end of the day it’s a lot to do with getting your caffeine fix.

(John) #9

I drink one every morning for a few reasons, first it helps keep me sated and gives me energy first thing in the morning. Ignoring carbs the rest of it typically goes, meet your protein goals, eat fat to satiety. This does not mean you eat pure protein and then only if and when you get hungry eat nothing but fat until you aren’t hungry, it means mix protein and fat at appropriate times and amounts throughout the day to keep full.

I know from eating many different ways of keto over the last year that having some fat first thing in the morning gets me through the next 8 hours or so with plenty of energy and no hunger. If I eat fat and protein combined like sausage and eggs and bacon I don’t feel the same, I feel ‘heavy’ and sluggish.

There is a lot to say for routine too, my old routine was having a giant bowl of cereal, driving to work and getting the sweats and shakes as my BG crashed, then going for fast food to try to balance it out and be starving a few hours later. Now I can have some fat in my coffee and I don’t even think about food again until I get hungry around 2, no desire to snack or anything.

Thanks, John - this quote makes a lot of sense to me. You view BPC as a MEANS of eating fat to satiety - in other words, you consume it to satisfy yourself for the 8+ hours ahead, and ensure that you’re not hungry in that timeframe in which you might be tempted to eat something non-keto. Got it. I see that.

I’ve never looked at it from that perspective. I am from the school of thought of “if you’re not hungry, don’t eat,” which is why I never understood the “pre-emptive” (in your case) BPC approach each morning. But, I can see how that would fit in a larger, overall strategy for the day, especially once you know yourself and where you might fall down later in the day (i.e., normally ravenous at lunch, but an early morning BPC might ward that off).

(Tim W) #11

I would suggest that if you are focusing on IF for weight loss, skip the BPC.

In my experience (and that’s all I’m talking about here, not saying this rule works for all) the longer your IF window, the better your fat loss/weight loss.

For those of us using keto as a long term WOE/lifestyle and not actively trying to lose weight/reverse type II diabetes etc… then BPC can help us get enough calories, even if we are not hungry.

For example, I’ve been doing IF for over a year and keto for all of this year. I often don’t experience ANY hunger until 15/1600 each day, and then I have to cram in 2,500-3,000 cals (I work outside a lot and do a lot of exercise) in a short period of time because I don’t want to eat too close to bedtime. I could move up my eating window but, if I’m just not hungry, it’s hard to force… enter BPC or a shot of coconut oil etc, things that can be easily ingested and don’t slow me down.

That’s just one POV, a snapshot of what works for me, which truly is the real lesson here. Do what works for YOU, don’t sweat what folks are doing on facebook/instagram/this forum, do what works for you… I’m off my soap box now, time for a quick snack!

Cheers,

Tim

(Tim W) #12

100% agree, it’s all marketing.

I love vodka (what’s not to love about it?) and I’m always amused when I go into the package store to pick up a bottle. By definition vodka should be clear and odorless. How does that allow for so many different brands then… all marketing. I admit, some vodkas are smoother than others but I think temperature may have more do with that… I can’t taste a difference in them and the “you won’t get a hang-over from this brand” just strikes me as BS.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #13

Nope, I have mine because my body wants it, period. I tried the matcha thing for a while but I learned that the first cup of the day has to be a high-octane mug of strong java with HWC. Just one. I’ve been doing a-cuppa-day for 25 years now and as long as I don’t fuck with that system, I’m golden. Two or more cups and things go wrong, zero cups and I want to kick schoolchildren.

The following meal must be a fat/protein combo but it comes whenever I feel I need it–could be an hour later, could be eight hours later. I don’t have coffee to stave off hunger, I have coffee because it’s delightful and happens to work for me.

But those schoolchildren…Geez, when do classes start, already?

Oh, @Aqua_chonk, I totally am with you on the coffee thing. If you gave me a choice between pants or coffee each morning, I’m pretty sure I’d have trouble holding down a job. :smiley:

This isn’t bulletproof coffee in the traditional sense, though, is it?

100% agree, which is why I wanted to draw that distinction above and limit my observation/inquiry to those who have weight to lose. I can more readily understand incorporating BPC now and then when you don’t need to lose fat and assuming you get adequate nutrition elsewhere throughout the day.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #16

Honestly, I think if you have dozens of pounds of fat left to drop, it probably makes little difference whether you have a bpc or not. For me, just cutting out sugar and starches was sufficient to drop me over 20 pounds in 2 months, and I was drinking cappuccinos with stevia all day long.

The game seems to be different, as I’m sure we all know, when you have only a few pounds left. I’ve got to drop about 15 more pounds of fat, and it’s brutal. I’m now reevaluating all superfluous calories (yep, I said calories!) which means severely reducing cream etc, and not gratuitously cooking in huge amounts of fats and oils.

Bpc may be nice for some ppl but imho it is just totally unnecessary: black coffee by itself will satiate you. Recently I’ve been IFing till as late in the arvo as possible, and if I have any hunger at all in the morning (I don’t if I wake up naturally, but waking up for work for some reason makes me slightly peckish in the mid-morning) it is killed by 1 cup of coffee once I get to the office. Butter or cream might improve the taste but I’d say it’s superfluous calories.

Once again, having said that, if people are shedding pounds while enjoying a bpc every day, have at it! But if you’ve plateaued like me, bpc ain’t gonna help your cause.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #17

You’re lucky it’s late in the day or you would’ve made me spit out my coffee.

Hell, no. Butter and oil ain’t got no place in coffee. I tried that when I was still pondering keto and it about put me off the whole thing. My HWC version has about half the calories and fat which is why I often eat soon after it.

Plus, it tastes like hot coffee ice cream. Oh, baby.

Ha, I know what you mean. Did you use a stick blender to froth it or just put in some butter and stir it in? Stick blending makes all the difference…

That all being said, I can count on one hand the number of BPC’s I’ve had. I’m actually trying to kick the HWC routine so that when I’m fasting w/ black coffee I don’t feel mental anxiety about “missing out” on something.

(bulkbiker) #19

It may or may not impede weight loss over time but you don’t have to have it if you don’t want to.
Your post above is completely contradictory and its not easy to go against what we have been taught so I can see where you are coming from and I have such thoughts myself when I have a stall in weight loss but… I do think that caloric restriction leads to metabolic slowdown so would rather feast and fast. My feasting includes coffee with cream so I’ll continue to have it daily(sometime 2 or 3 per day). If it slows further weight loss then fine because I won’t be hungry which is far more important to me as maintaining a way of eating than loosing a couple of recalcitrant pounds…

(Doug) #20

Brian, on the “daily routine” deal - I think that even if it’s not aimed at the worthy goal of forestalling hunger, there may be positive value just in the habitual nature of it.

It’s something to do, perhaps it makes us feel less deprived, subconsciously; it takes up a little time during the day, the fat content making it more of a “treat” than just plain coffee.

All other things being equal, I agree with you that if fat burning and weight loss are the aim, then adding fat “when not really needed” (if that could be truly identified) would be a negative.