IF question: is 18:6 Ok to do daily?

(Laura) #21

Does anyone skip days in between their fasting days?? If your doing 18:6 or 20:4 or OMAD Do you have a feeding day in between? Like OMAD MWF and Sunday ???

(Bob M) #22

I’ve been trying to do a 36 hour fast then 2MAD other days, with one other 22 hour fast (basically, OMAD) per week. I may try for two 36 hour fasts next week. I’ve tried that a lot in the past, though, can can’t do it. We’ll see.

Oh yeah, I should mention that I have a hard time with OMAD, as the days I exercise, I can’t make it for OMAD, and I often get home too late (and go to bed too early) to eat OMAD. So, I have to select a day at which I can eat before/end by 7pm or earlier.

(Susan) #23

@Laserrell

@monsterjuice and I are doing the following protocol until the end of November -we started the last week of October -It is from IDM (Dr. Jason Fung) and @Ilana_Rose told us about it:

IF%20Schedule%20-%20Copy

I am planning to go back to my regular TMAD -20:4 1:00 Lunch and 4:30 pm Supper for December. The only scheduled fast I intend to do for December is the Zornfast (although I might do that fast this time with MCT oil to make it more of a Fat Fast). I have also not used any dairy since Oct 18 (except for butter as it breaks down differently) and on my birthday (Nov.4) I made a Keto pizza so I used some cheese for that. I don’t know how long I will do the no dairy for, but I will probably use some in December, maybe just limited amounts from then on.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #24

You got that right fellow sufferer! :joy::joy::cowboy_hat_face:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #25

I usually eat 3 meal days the day after 3 day fasts. I break my fasts late afternoon and then eat a protein heavy breakfast the first full refeed day. This also lines up when I am doing lower body resistance to failure training. Lately I have been pushing the failure point, telling myself it is in my head, and that gets me further.

I’m told this sort of training dumps glycogen out of muscles really well. I know I can get hungry the day after fasting with this type of training.

I then try to get back to IF days before extended fasting again.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #26

Sorry to hear that Randy. I hope the new hip helps much.

I like eating the same every day, it’s natural and easiest to me. If I can do OMAD a few times a week, I can do it very nearly every day (there are rare exceptions, usually not planned ones) and I reinforce the new order every day, it gets easier. If one can’t eat enough in one sitting, that’s different, I had that problem in the beginning and I did TMAD when I felt the need but it became a much smaller problem as I learned to choose my food better. I barely can afford 7-8 meals a week to lose fat slowly, I need OMAD as default.
Nearly every day is feeding day as I have a meal. Occasionally I need a high-calorie day though, it may be OMAD (possibly with a slightly bigger eating window) or TMAD, whatever floats my boat.

Longer fasts (43-48 hours) are very rare and they might interfere as I rarely can eat a big enough meal afterwards. I do TMAD then but I continue OMAD afterwards.

But if I would plan different days, that would be OMAD weekdays and TMAD weekends (it’s often a good idea to put my single higher-calorie/TMAD day of the week there anyway, for different reasons).

(Laura) #28

I like the visual. I’m a visual person… It makes so much sense!! Thank you Momof5😍

(Susan) #29

You are welcome, =) I am like you too, visual images help me as well =). Ashley and I have been tracking our progression for the month on my accountability thread, if you want to get an idea of what we are eating, etc =).

(Sky) #30

is it ok to have cream whilst fasting ? I am so very new and am frightened I will break the fast unknowly by having cream - I know they say no lemon juice in water as that will break my fast but never thought to ask about cream- it would be wonderful if I could thats for sure

(Jennibc) #31

In the Obesity Code, Fung says heavy cream is fine in small amounts. I am just offering up what I eat daily and what has worked for me. My loss has been slow but it’s been steady. I lost 54 in a year and half doing it this way. Other people lose faster but they also have a lot more to lose than I did when I started. I’d already taken off quite a bit before I found this so I didn’t get to have the big initial drop that so many people do.

Small amounts of heavy cream are generally considered fine on a fast but will probably interfere with autophagy so it depends on why you’re fasting.

Personally I did my first several 3-5 day fasts with lots of cream and even a spoonful of mayonnaise here and there because I was more interested in getting into the habit and making it sustainable at first. Then I dropped the fats altogether - just water and salt or an electrolyte mix - and actually found it much easier.

(Laura) #33

54 pounds in a year sounds great to me! I can only hope for those results!!! Congrats​:+1:t2:Keep up the great work :blush:

Fasting is not consuming calories and it’s not clear what is the tiny amount that doesn’t interferes with autophagy, I never read a definite answer. I keep my kcals very low (like, 1 kcal in my 23-26 hour long fasting window and if it’s, like, 12 kcal, it must be very close to my eating window), it’s super easy but absolutely zero isn’t my thing yet, it’s significantly harder in some situations. It’s understandable to consume more in the beginning, I don’t like to make my life harder than needed and if the goal is simpleness and/or fat-loss and not autophagy to the max (while keeping the same long fasting window), even a bit more calories should be perfectly fine as long as they don’t interfere with your goals. If I ate 40 kcal, that would make me hungry but a few drops of coconut milk, heavy cream or butter is fine even if it’s more than my usual 1-2 kcal, it can’t affect my fat-loss or getting used to eating in a small eating window again. Many people have cream and like the results. But much cream easily interferes and it’s not true fasting. So the amount matters a lot longer term.
So I basically only consume water, plain tea and black or almost black coffee. I consider this good enough. If autophagy would be super important for me, I would do 72 hour water fasts now and then but I’m not there yet and my main goal is different right now. Autophagy is a nice side effect.

If lemon juice breaks autophagy, cream surely does IMO (unless there’s some very odd things at work I don’t know about). Lemon juice has very little carbs and cream has carbs too and way more calories even if you use a little amount (unless you drink lemon juice galore vs drops of heavy cream).

(Jennibc) #35

That was in over a year - about a year and half, but still, I am pleased!

(Troy) #36

My body each day tells what’s best
Always start off w black coffee
Then snack on pink salt rocks😄

By 1130am or so, my body will let me know
Mind over Food
Food over Mind
Sometimes I will just push right through to dinner
No biggie either way
Eat dinner maybe around 4pm, as late as 6

Then rinse, cycle and repeat :sweat_smile:
OMAD or Tmad the next day