If Keto were a food…

(Mike W.) #1

In my opinion, if keto were one food it would be pork belly. It’s the perfect ration of protein and fat and zero carbs. Also, it’s delicious and satiating! Does anyone have any others to throw in the ring?

(Robin) #2

Oh, gosh yes!

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #3

No need to go any further … One food only - Pork Belly is the winner :grin: Though I do like peppered beef steak cooked in garlic butter and cream.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Pork picnic (shoulder joint). Yum!

It’s a HORRIBLE ratio to me - but well, pork belly surely have a very wide fat/protein ratio. In my country, it’s usually mostly fat. It has a decent amount of meat, sure but way, way, way more meat. But there are meatier slabs - still way too fatty for me to eat it more than in tiny amounts but it’s fine.

It’s highly individual how fatty meat we can afford. I need the leanest ones possible (but I love fatty eat and have other items, I don’t live on meat alone).
My fav is pork chuck, it has the perfect fat/protein ratio according to my taste (if it’s average. sometimes I find it too lean or waaaaay too fatty) and it may work for me in a world where I eat almost only meat… But as I eat otherwise, my best item is fresh ham. That is too lean to live on it but I have my other, fattier items… I am doomed without fresh ham and overeat fat all the time.

But yep, pork belly (if it’s really meaty) is nice. I only buy it cured though. I just can’t justify to spend all the money on it when I could buy a lot of proper meat for it, not fat tissue with a little meat. We really have very fatty pork belly here.
(Google says 53g fat, 9g protein, yeah I am sure it’s not the ideal fat:protein ratio for most of us but of course, not all pork belly is even remotely like that. I badly need meat with significantly more protein than fat.)

The photo looks nice. Lots of meat, lots of fat, yum, not for fat-loss at all if one has my energy and protein needs but may be perfect for you, I can believe that!

(Mike W.) #6

Even better when it’s smoked and swimming in Kerrygold. Yum!

(Jenna Ericson) #7

I think chia seeds :slight_smile:

Deep fried chicken thighs, skin on. (I don’t eat pork, so, this is my nom nom.)

(KM) #9

I have a question. Is “pork belly” called something else in the US? I’ve found bacon galore, including unsliced bacon, but not pork belly (which appears to be similar to unsliced bacon??) Should I be looking for something else? I’ve looked in the fresh pork and the bacon areas and found nothing.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #10

I think an explanation can be found here.

https://beardedbutchers.com/blogs/news/pork-belly-vs-bacon-whats-the-difference

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Must be a regional issue. My local supermarket sells pork belly and salt pork, both.

(KM) #12

It’s sold with the skin on??? Oh I think I died and went to heaven. There is nothing better than pork crackling. I really must track this down.

(KM) #13

What section do you find it in / near what other products? I am very sure I’ve never seen it with bacon. Maybe I’m just not looking deeply enough in the belly of the butcher’s case beast, so to speak.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #14

Wasteful energy wise but I do triple cooked pork scratching …… btw I love the US term ‘chitterlings’ …… is that cooked skin?

Thanks for the link, @Pjam! I probably never will learn what bacon means elsewhere but I am trying! Meat cuts are so complicated and confusing sometimes.

We almost only call the thin sliced cured super salty thing in small packages “bacon” as we have our own Hungarian words for pig parts. In the case of pork belly, we have the raw cut, a smoked salted raw version (we used to fry that over open fire as kids… it usually had zero meat but it’s better with meat streaks, it’s still mostly fat tissue as it’s pork belly…) and the very common smoked cooked one, I like that (if there is enough meat). Most are usually sold with skin on but not always.

I looked it up and apparently we have salt pork too, somewhere. It’s quite unusual here not to smoke a salted pork here… Or it seems to me, maybe I live in my own little world and not notice things, I can imagine that. I only remember smoked salted pork.

That’s good stuff indeed :wink: As I never deep fry things, I have a hard time to make pork skin properly so I just make my “scratchings” (once I looked up the differences and maybe it’s not the right word but I don’t know a better one) from skinless meat (almost any pork cut that isn’t lean :smiley: but I can’t eat lean pork anyway), that is good too :slight_smile: Fat tissue fried into crunchiness, often with a tiny bit of meat? Lovely.
But when the skin puffs up and the pieces retain a lot of fat, it’s crispy but not super crunchy due to the fat, oh that is great… Mine is more crunchy and less fatty, it’s different but both are really good.

I went to some nice shopping, I only bought a tiny bit of cured cooked pork belly but I have plenty of fresh pork and I roasted 3 different cuts :smiley: Food will be quite nice tomorrow.

Never heard about that one but sounds cute :wink:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

Well, the supermarket I frequent the most is re-organising, so who knows where everything will end up, but right now, there’s one long refrigerator case with beef and pork, then another with chicken, sausage, hot dogs, and so forth. The pork belly is between the chicken and the hot dogs.

(KM) #17

No, chitlins (chitterlings) is cooked intestine of pigs. Not crispy that I’ve ever known. Crackling is roasted skin. My mom used to get pork roast with the skin on - you could crack a tooth on it, but ooooohhh … And menudo is a spicy Mexican dish of cow stomach. The extent of my knowledge about digestive tract dinner.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

Chitterlings is a 13th-century word, apparently derived from an unrecorded Old English word meaning “entrails” and related to the Old English for “womb.” “Chitlins” and “chitlings” are spellings found in the U.S. in the 19th century, which reflect the pronunciation–though I’ve seen it written as “chitterlings” by someone who pronounced it as “chitlins.” Any way you slice it, however, it’s considered a delicacy in many places. I don’t know; I bought some tripe last year to make menudo, and eventually ended up chucking it. Just couldn’t stomach it, lol!

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #19

Londons Nigerian community enjoy tripe. I have tried it and they make some very spicy hot food. Brilliant :grin:

Doesn’t sound good (just the name). Wow, I have heard about a wide variety of pork things, all things pork is a big thing here, after all, if not in supermarkets, when people butcher a home-raised pig (I never attended such a happening - just read about it, it was a huge feast and basically a mini festival with many people in the past. some items only appeared there! - but our neighbour did it once and gave us sausage and after 3 days I broke my vegetarianism… :smiley: I have my limits, you see. good pork is the best)… But we just use intestines to make all kinds of sausages. Or at least I never heard about cooked (or fried) intestine. Surely someone did or does it. Probably the frying, cooked intestine, why would anyone want that?! But tripe stew is a popular dish too (and I managed not to try it all my life. I prefer meat in my stew or eggs or in the worst case, only vegs, definitely not tripe) so yep, someone must like cooked intestine.

I can’t seem to do it right, I get off the skin and fry it in a pan in the end and it’s still a bit too hard here and there… But when I roasted a tiny piglet, that had the best crunchy skin ever (and way more fat than what a piglet should have, I still don’t understand, isn’t its job to get bigger first?).

I looked it up, seems much, much nicer than tripe stew :smiley:
We use the stomach for head cheese, that’s a wonderful thing if done right. Cheap supermarket versions often aren’t worth it.

@PaulL: Oh, little etymology lesson, I like those! :smiley: Thanks.