Ideas for food banks/food drives

(melinda) #1

My community service group recently hosted a food drive for the regional food bank.

We went to visit the food bank and the quality of the food was TERRIBLE. Sugar cereals, rice Krispy treats, crackers, skim milk boxes, etc.

Does anyone have ideas for good shelf stable foods to donate to food drives and soup drives?

My mom is the executive director of the food bank in my hometown, she is always trying to get peanut butter.

Lard is room temperature shelf stable for months and years, and very adaptable to be used in any meal involving cooking in oven or stove.

Canned meats, like tuna, salmon, sardines, kippers, chicken, seafood, ham, beef, SPAM, liver pate …so many choices. When you see a sale, buy lots, put aside and donate when the occasion pops up.

Canned vegetables, like tomato, string beans, mushrooms, pumpkin, etc.

Vegetable preserves, like olives, pickles, sauerkraut, etc.

Any form of nut, whether in shell, de-shelled or buttered.

Soup cubes, bouillon concentrates. Coconut milk, coconut cream.

This might sound crazy, but I also like to donate dried spices along with the food stuffs listed above. The reason is because I picture a parent struggling to feed their family, and if they have access to the materials listed above, with a few spices (dried thyme, rosemary, oregano, cayenne, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, etc…) they can make themselves a large pot of delicious and hearty stew, and have lots for leftovers or filling their kid’s school lunchbox next day.

(Dustin Cade) #4

Coconut oil, olive oil…

(melinda) #5

They were specifically asking for soup and things of that sort because they are a meal in themselves. I think all of these are great ideas especially the canned meats.

(Stephanie Hanson) #6

I recently saw an article written about donating to food banks. The point of the article was that most food donations are cans (heavy) and other foods that are not very useful for the populations they serve. A monetary donation stretches much further for them b/c they have buying power with select vendors and they can use any extra to meet special dietary needs.

Just my thoughts on it.