Ice Cream Sub - Arctic Zero

(Simon L Smith) #1

I know a lot of people swear by Halo Top. Full disclosure, I have never tried it. The carb count is just not worth it to me.

Tonight I bought Arctic Zero. I got the chocolate and peanut butter one: 5 carbs per serving, 4 servings per container.

I ate half, which was only 10 carbs. Not bad.

Certainly not as creamy as “real” ice cream, but tasty none the less. Again, I have not tried Halo Top to know how it compares.

Worth a shot if you miss ice cream.

(eat more) #2

oh…i recommend trying the halotop or even Enlightened…1000x better than arctic zero and don’t contain whey…there’s something in the AZ that wrecks my stomach…maybe the whey lol

the enlightened is only 3g if you don’t count sugar alcohols
i think most halo top are around 5g if you don’t count sugar alcohols

but…honestly when i was eating any of those it was pre keto so who knows if i’d still like the halotop or enlightened :joy:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #3

Not bad, but try heavy whipping cream. (1 cup has 8 grams carbohydrate) add sweetener and flavoring, maybe even egg yolk, whip that shit up and freeze, stirring every now and then till it reaches a consistency you like.

damned creamy shit right there

Though, buying it ready-made is much faster and simpler

I plan to REWARD myself with an ice cream maker this summer. Stay tuned :blue_heart:

(Dustin Cade) #4

Halo top is good, it’s too expensive to get all the time, though Walmart in my area carries it now and it’s about a buck cheaper than anywhere else…

(eat more) #5

ok now i’m gonna have to bust out my in-the-very-top-cabinet-above-the-fridge-mostly-forgotten-about ice cream maker

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #6

Oh FUCK yeah. There are about exactly one million keto ice cream recipes online BTW

(eat more) #7

/me puts cannister in freezer before leaving for work :blush:

(John) #8

Halo top is close to real ice cream, Arctic Zero is like eating what you scrape off your windshield. It is expensive though and more carbs than I like most of the time. Even though I don’t crave sweets a lot, when I do have some it triggers the desire to binge on it pretty bad.

(jketoscribe) #9

I stole (and adapted) this coffee ice cream recipe from Peter Attia.

Peter’s Original Recipe is here (scroll down to the last FAQ) http://eatingacademy.com/quick-faq

My adaptation is here:

INGREDIENTS
3 cups of heavy cream or full fat canned coconut milk
2 egg yolks *
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp. Instant coffee granules (I suggest decaf if you’re going to have this in the evening!)
3 Tbsp of granulated xylitol or other sweetener of choice to taste

(I like to add about 1 tsp of cinnamon)

Mix the ingredients together in a blender. Chill.
Add to ice cream maker and process until a thick ice cream is made.

I get about 15 servings from this recipe.

*Note: These egg yolks are RAW. Don’t use them if you are immunocompromised or will be feeding the ice cream to a baby or a frail elderly person. Be sure your eggs come from a trustworthy local source. If you are concerned, used pasteurized egg yolks or cook the ingredients into a custard and then chill before putting the mixture in the ice cream maker. Use raw egg yolks at your own risk.

I tried an Arctic Zero cake batter. It was good, and I was more able to portion it out to 4 nights. Then I tried Halo Top, vanilla bean last night. OMG it was fantabulous. I had to put it away after eating a third of the container. I may or may not have bought another pint today… :blush:

(Simon L Smith) #11

I did a quick search here… but didn’t see anything…

Why would we not count Sugar Alcohols?

I get why we don’t’ count fiber… but why not SA?

Thanks,

(Simon L Smith) #12

Thanks, this is saved.

Yeah, buying is “easier,” And this was because my youngest daughter and I had a “daddy/daughter” date. She wanted ice cream, I heard about Halo Top, so decided to try.

TBH, I don’t miss ice cream. This was a one off. The Arctic Zero had fewer carbs, so I played it safe.

What I miss is POPCORN!

Yesterday was SO low carb that I managed to fit in a small serving of homemade popcorn… yum…

(eat more) #13

some ppl count them as it affects their glucose and some ppl it doesn’t :slight_smile:

Some people on ketogenic diets use sugar alcohols to sweeten yogurt or low carb cheesecakes. Sugar alcohols are are sugar molecules which have been designed to be undigestible. (Examples include erythritol, mannitol, sorbitol and the like.) Many people in the low carb world feel that sugar alcohol carbs do have an impact on ketosis and blood sugar, and so they count them in when totaling up usable carbs. Other people are able to eat them without any effect on weight loss or ketosis. You’ll have to learn what works for you by trial and error.

from

(gooeykablooey) #14

I love my counter top cuisinart ice cream maker. Sounds expensive BUT i got it on Amazon warehouse deals for $19 (the original price was I think $60? But the item had been returned unused and the packaging was clearly opened and taped back shut but other than that. Perfect) always check warehouse deals before buying something pricey :smiley: you might find exactly what you want for cheaper

(gooeykablooey) #15

Omg I just made italics and didn’t even know how. Surprise surprise surprise

(Simon L Smith) #16

Awesome. Thank you, Mikki.

I used to eat Arctic Zero when I was trying low cal for the tenth time, but there’s barely any flavor and is still 5g of carbs per serving. Better than no ice cream I suppose.

I just tried the peanut butter Enlightened. Indistinguishable from the real thing and 40% fat. 6g of net carbs per serving. I’m not sure I’ll buy it often though. I may be tempted to bring the whole pint to the couch! It’s so good!

If you can control yourself and erythritol doesn’t affect you, this stuff is the best!

(Arlene) #18

I used to make ice cream all the time. HWC, egg yolks, vanilla, stevia. I have one of those ice cream makers where you just keep the container in the freezer, so it’s ready when you want ice cream anytime. Problem; I just kept eating it. Really yummy stuff. My sweet tooth doesn’t honor any satiety signals. I had to stop making it. I will have it occasionally though.
I hope you enjoy your ice cream maker when you get one.

(Jacquie) #19

@farmgirl. That was me, too! :smile: I used coconut milk and almond butter along with the eggs, vanilla and stevia. I’ve got to be careful of sweet, creamy combos.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #20

I never had an issue with ice cream. Not concerned. After 3+ years successfully ketogenic, I am incredibly relaxed about everything.

I love this keto life.