I wonder how many of us have unknowingly drifted into an Atkins Diet

Edited and added to my initial post with my conclusion to this discussion.

So the conclusion I’ve come to after this interesting discussion is…

- it doesn’t matter if we drift from Keto to Atkins because Phase One of the Atkins Diet is by definition, the Keto Diet.
- if we do increase our carb intake beyond 20g yet still maintain ketone production, we are still Keto.

- only once we increase our carbs to benefit maintaining our weight but we are no longer in ketosis, have we truly shifted from Keto to the later phases of an Atkins Diet.

(Running from stupidity) #42

The best kind of distinction.

And what about the New Atkins For A New You?

Authored by Eric Westman MD, Stephen Phinney MD, and Jeff Volek PhD - who are all LCHF/keto super scholars and who are all avid fans of Dr. Atkins’ pioneering work in the western world.

I haven’t read it, but apparently it focuses on maintenance from the beginning - and includes 50 scientific study references on the benefits of the low carb way of life.

(Running from stupidity) #44

And is written like an advertising pamphlet.

(Scott) #45

I just say I drift between keto and LCHF WOE. I leave Atkins out of it.

(Laura) #46

Atkins is low carb, high fat and moderate protein. You measure your ketones to make sure you are burning fat.

To me, Keto is Atkins induction, but is less strict. For example, Atkins induction does not allow nuts or seeds. Dairy is limited and no fruit or alcohol of any kind. Only non starchy low carb vegetables. When I started Atkins, there was no discussion of any kind of fasting. And, you are supposed to stay in nutritional ketosis while adding back carbs.

So, I think Keto developed out of Atkins in a way and makes staying at induction levels much easier.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #47

The Atkins diet came along when everyone was fat free and blowing up
I personally like Atkins and am thankful it was an option when Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig dominated the weight loss landscape. It didn’t cost anything to join, I didn’t have to go to meet up’s and I didn’t have to weigh in!

Also, it’s more fun to tell folks I’m doing Atkins when they ask me if I’m “Doing Keto”. They don’t care anymore and I don’t have to talk about it.

(Jenny) #48

have you all asked which Atkins you’re referring to? the 1970’s version is what I figured you meant. I dont see any difference between induction and keto. other than restrictions on cheese and cream, I think its 3 ounces. ugh he was so ahead of his time.

but later versions really jumped the shark imo

I see a lot of FB group people listening to a doctor (Berg maybe?) that says don’t count carbs in vegetables.
Personally I don’t think that’s great advice because you can easily throw yourself out of ketosis if you eat a lot of veggies.
Even Atkins (since this is the comparable in this thread)never suggested unlimited vegetables.
His program may have, after his death when “corporate” took over, but the man himself never did.

(Running from stupidity) #50

He’s a good match for FB keto groups, I reckon.

(Laura) #51

I started on Atkins with the New Atkins New You book and vegetables were not unlimited. Net Carbs in induction are 20 g. Basically, in induction, you eat meat, fat and veggies. It was tough, so I am glad that Keto offers more variety and no restrictions on nuts, berries or dairy.

Atkins also has a thing called the ‘fat fast’ if you were really having issues shedding weight. I have been tempted to look into that from time to time.

(Janet) #52

From the two people who knew Dr Atkins and carry on his work at the Heal Clinic. His nurse Jackie Eberstein (she had most of the patient interaction for 30 years) and Dr Eric Westman who worked with them to publish the clinical research. https://healclinics.com/the-atkins-diet-is-the-foundation-of-the-healcare-plan/ The Atkins Diet is the foundation of the HEALcare plan.

The short answer is that the HEAL care eating recommendation is modeled after the Atkins diet. Both plans are very low carbohydrate, moderate protein and liberal but not excessive consumption of natural fats. The induction phase of the Atkins diet consists of eating 20 grams of total daily carbohydrates, which is the same as the HEAL care recommendation. Consuming less than about 50 grams of daily carbohydrates causes the body to utilize both dietary fat and stored body fat for fuel, which is “being in ketosis”. For this reason, both the Atkins and HEAL care diets are ketogenic.

(Jenny) #53

this is from the 70’s book, dr.Atkins diet revolution. I had taken pics so I could look on my phone :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #54

I’ve read Atkin’s ver. 2 book, spent hours on the Atkins website, no where in those locales is there anything to indicate it is low fat. Using the Atkins 20 meal plan is how I got over my fear of eating fats. Depending on how broken you are, you can eat more carbs. I don’t have diabetes, so I can go up to around 50 grams. (as long as it isn’t grains!!) and have no issues (weight gain, etc.). Heck my DH who is controlling his T2D can eat up to that level as well, he measures his blood sugars and has eaten oatmeal and some other things I would never touch now, and his BS nos. will be in the 90s.

I don’t care what anyone calls it, as long as it works.

Completely agree with you.

I corrected myself after that comment, acknowledging that Atkins was also higher fat, that keto was basically the same as Atkins Phase 1, and that as long as you’re still producing ketones, you can up your carbs and still be considered keto.

(Robert C) #56

HA! That is an easy mistake to make - once you are keto - EVERYTHING looks low fat.

Well, there are two entirely different books with different publishers - “The New Atkins Diet” by an Atkins employee, and “The New Atkins Diet For A New You” by Westman/Phinney/Volek.

Are you referring to both, or just the short one by the Atkins employee? My impression is that Westman/Phinney/Volek attempted to repair the damage done to Dr. Atkins work by the present company. But the similar titles drive me bonkers.

(Running from stupidity) #58

Ahhh, righty.

No, it was latter I tried to read.