I wonder how many of us have unknowingly drifted into an Atkins Diet

I mean, they are pretty similar. If some of us are reducing our fat intake (because we’re fat adapted), increasing our protein and being a bit more liberal with our carb intake i.e. >50g (because it hasn’t affected our ketone production etc), are we technically even keto any more?

Is Atkins just basically a less restrictive/more relaxed version of keto?

Is there anything wrong with that?

Is Atkins actually what the keto diet transforms into when we reach the maintenance stage?

EDIT : So the conclusion I’ve come to after this interesting discussion is…

- it doesn’t matter if we drift from Keto to Atkins because Phase One of the Atkins Diet is by definition, the Keto Diet.
- if we do increase our carb intake beyond 20g yet still maintain ketone production, we are still Keto.

- only once we increase our carbs to benefit maintaining our weight but we are no longer in ketosis, have we truly shifted from Keto to the later phases of an Atkins Diet.

(Running from stupidity) #2

Heh, I mentioned this in a thread about protein this morning, suggesting I was prob more Atkins than keto. My carbs are still very low, but my protein levels are generally quite high with resulting lower fat.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #3

I think I started in Atkins induction and never left. I can’t eat all the recommended fat and ate a lot of protein out of the gates. Now that I don’t eat much in general (compared to before), I’m probably eating the right amount but not the recommended fat, that’s for sure. Still under 20 g carb daily, though.

If we spend much of our time in nutritional ketosis then I would say we are

I think that’s the main difference. Atkins promoted gradually increasing carbs for maintenance (between 50-100g). I think if people on keto gradually increase carbs because their body can take it, they’re drifting into Atkins. If you’re still 20g, you’re still keto.

But even if it wasn’t a conscious goal, wouldn’t being on an Atkins diet achieve ketosis as well?

Unless you’re in the final phases, is there even a definitive difference between Keto and Atkins?

Compared to the strict definition of Keto, Atkins promoted less fat, more protein and a gradual increase in carbs.

I guess it depends if you stay at induction or move your way back up to a carb level that suits your weight but doesn’t keep you in ketosis.

I guess my point is though is that some ketoers can safely increase their carbs up to Atkins levels and still maintain ketosis.

(Running from stupidity) #11

Oh, no doubt. But I still want to punch the buggers when they announce that idea repeatedly in noob threads without bothering to also say they’ve been fat-adapted for two years.

In which case I’d say they’re keto :smiley:

(Running from stupidity) #13

But are these things mutually exclusive? Or is it a Venn diagram type situation?

It’s a Venn :slightly_smiling_face: IMHO

(Running from stupidity) #15

Mine too.

But don’t use that as an excuse to confuse noobs just so you can strut around. (not YOU, just generally).

I’ve been maintaining this opinion since I started Keto but never said it in fear of being branded a heretic on this forum, which I have become dependent on for knowledge and support.

When I started Keto I found it very similar to what I’ve been doing since the early 2000s of Atkins.

The main differences I found were a lower restriction of carbs – Atkins wanted you below 40 during its induction phase and lower that 50-60 after a few weeks. And Keto encourages more eating of fat. I also seem to remember Atkins allowing some, but only a little, fruit. Still more than Keto.

Atkins was successful for me but I found little to no support out there beyond the original book and it was easy to drift off course. It also did not come with the option of Intermittent and Extended Fasting which I have found to be a wonder adjunct to Keto. Fasting would also probably work as well with Atkins.

Currently, I am Keto in carbs and Atkins on protein/fats when I’m not EF-ing it. And my weight is plunging and my health soaring.

The best of three worlds.

Strictly speaking.

Keto- High fat, moderate protein, low carbs.

Atkins- Low fat, high protein, moderate carbs.

For me it all hinges on the increase in carbs. If you’re keto diet has evolved into less fat and more protein, in my opinion you’re still keto. But if that also includes a carb increase, you’re in Atkins territory.

BTW I’m not judging anyone who is, not trying to revoke your ketogenic forum credentials, just thought it was interesting. To me they’re similar enough and for the large part mutually exclusive for it not to be that big a deal.

If anything, Atkins was consciously just a more marketable/user friendly version of the keto diet.

(Carl Keller) #18

I’ve been leaning more toward eating Atkins of late, but my pee still smells like ketones, not Atkins, so by default, I am still keto.

I know you were half joking and I don’t want to repeat myself too much, but people on Atkins can (unknowingly) achieve ketosis as well, correct?

So, once fat-adapted, are we really becoming “Ketokins”? Or, Atkoes? … Or, maybe, just Assholes?

n=A0K maybe??