I was frustrated till:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1

Yesterday I got unusually frustrated. Now understand, I’m pretty easy going and don’t get flustered or frustrated easily. And I’m in this WOE as a way of life. I’m In it for the long haul.

• 65yo male
  • Strict keto since June 17 2018
  • Easy keto since June 2015 (but did deviate from keto frequently the last year of those 3 years).
  • Metabolic Syndrome and Prediabetic ~ June 2015 - reversed within 2 months A1c 5.9-5.2
  • 4xCABG when I was 48. Post CABG, stent, post stent had to have stent cleaned and irradiated because of scare tissue occluding the stent
  • Recently (June) did a nuclear stress test, pumped 14 METS and cardiologist declared that he does not see people my age pumping 14 METS. No blockage detected and perfect EKG.
  • HBP since 26, on 3 meds. Some improvements in BP since going keto but not enough yet to get off any meds. Long term goal is to reduce BP meds.
  • Weekly some IF, OMAD and a few EF in total but also love to cook and eat. Confident that I stay under 20g cabs 90% of the time and under 30g 100% of the time.
  • Exercise 5 times a week or more most weeks. Since June 17 focus on strength of lower and upper body. I have muscles in places I have never had them. I’m not buff, just better and good for this old man.

I have an annual physical coming up in late Febraruy and was thinking about progress and I looked up my PCP dr visits in the last year.

• April 2 , 2018 237.4 lbs
  • June 15, 2018 248 lbs (boy did I slip)
  • June 17, 2018 – start strict keto. Never looking back.
  • Sept 24, 2018 232.8 lbs

Current weight varying between 219.0 and 222.8 – Recent 53 hour water fast did not budget the weight. 3 days after fast weight was 222.8. Pre fast it was 221.6 or so. I did have some red wine twice for the two days post fast.

I was frustrated, almost depressed and complaining to my wife about my weight and she reminded me that I’m “swimming in my pants now” and look a lot smaller in the belly. I tried on my favorite winter coat, which was just snug a year ago and I have a lot of spare room in the coat. NSVs

I have to remind myself that since June net ~26 lbs and probably lost more like 50 lbs of fat since I am gaining muscles.

Yes – many NSV that I don’t need to go into. I love this WOE/WOL. But darn weight.

So my plan getting to my annual dr visit on Feb 24th is to have at least one EF / week of 42 hrs or more. And I will throw in some IF 18/6 and OMAD in there. I have a plan for the blood tests to:

• Fast only for 12 to 14 hour prior (water only)
  • Reduce coffee (that is done already) 1 to .5 cups a day. Usual coffee is 6+ / day
  • No EF within 5 days of the blood draw

My wife is very supportive and @Hopeoftheflame s as well. Sometimes my mind is not so supportive. I just have to remind myself about the amount of metabolic debit that I have collected over 45 years or more and that I just need to be patient.

Damn this weight loss. Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead.
KCKO

(John) #2

Congratulations on your epic age-reversal! You need to update the profile pic to reflect the younger you. :smiley:

(Jessica) #3

25 years old, huh? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I know what you mean. I’ve lost 25lbs since August but things are kind of stuck right now. You start thinking something is wrong if the number doesn’t move because those NSV aren’t as quantifiable.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #4

Duh 65. Will fix later

(Annzie) #5

So from what I am reading, scales don’t count, but inches do!

Sorry this is my second post and some message is blocking my view. I can’t reach the xout button either. Very frustrating!!!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Eric—Which do you want to lose, weight or fat? You could easily reduce your body weight by having an arm or leg amputated . . . :grin:

If your clothing is looser, it means you’ve lost fat. So if your weight is still more or less the same, it means that you’ve put on some muscle and increased your bone density. But you don’t like that, because it prevents the scale from showing a lower number? What am I missing here? :confused:

Yesssss!!! ^^

@daddyoh I know that scales can be helpful, but don’t confuse the tool with the actual goal.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

I’m sure Eric understands this, actually, it’s just that his subconscious needs to grow up and stop messing with him, lol! :grin:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #9

That is it.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #10

I heard Dr Boz on Keto Woman podcast talk about improvements in bone density. I hadn’t even considered that. I’m hopeful that my bone density is also improving since I’m not 65yo+.