I want to try fasting for the first time

(Mike Glasbrener) #21

Sounds all completely normal. People expect hunger signals to be overwhelming. Once you learn they are waves that come and go it becomes easier and easier to relax and ignore them and go on with your day rather than obsess.

Thanks Mike- thatā€™s cool!

Good job!! Sounds good!

(Carpe salata!) #24

Itā€™s great to realise thereā€™s a difference between crashing and just being in a holding pattern.

(Ryan Tuttle) #25

So i succeded in fasting for about 30 hours or so.

I drank seltzer water, tea, and maybe 5 bullion throughout the day.

It was no where near as difficult as it would have been when i was carb fed.

This morning i weighed myself and i was 2lb heavier than normal :sweat_smile: wtf. Iā€™m assuming i retained some water due to drinking all that bullion.

I think, but it could be my imagination, that i look slightly leaner aswell.

Anyways i consider it a success!

Way to go!! :+1:

(Carpe salata!) #27

Thanks for being a trailblazer for me. Iā€™m still doing 20:4 one day Iā€™ll just skip dinner and see what happensā€¦

(Sjur GjĆøstein Karevoll) #28

Well done on your first fast!

The majority of your weight change is water and food weight so donā€™t be too hung up on it. Fun fact, after every fast Iā€™ve done longer than 72 hours my lowest weight has been on the morning of the third day after the fast. Presumably it has something to do with the digestive system slowing down then getting started again.

I think itā€™s really common to lean out a bit due to decreased hydration even on short fasts, so itā€™s no surprise that you would notice that.

(Mike Glasbrener) #29

Way to go! Donā€™t sweat the weightā€¦ Fasting should help lower your basal insulin level and if thatā€™s contributing to your weight ā€œset pointā€ your weight will trend lower.

(Doug) #30

Sounds very plausible - salty old bullion making for some water retention. Iā€™ve read that 4 ounces of cottage cheese has enough salt to make one retain 2 lbs. in water weight.

(Ryan Tuttle) #31

This morning (24 hours after the fast ended) i hit a new all time low of 172. My prior all time low was 172.4.

Im curious to see what tomorrow brings aswell. I want to break into the 160s! Iā€™m excited.

(Mike Glasbrener) #32

Be prepared for your weight to go up a little bit for a couple of days. It should be lower than the start of your fast though.

(Mike W.) #33

How tall are you?

(Ryan Tuttle) #34

5ā€™11"