I swam my first mile in decades last week

(Cranford Coulter) #1

When I was a teenager I would swim 2 miles a day, 7 days a week all summer long. Once a summer, I would swim the 3 mile circumference of Loveless Lake, in Wisconsin, where our cabin was. Now I am 64. I had a heart valve replacement in 2013, multiple strokes, dozens of TIAs, gained 100 pounds, and had a hell of a winter and spring with 4 hospitalizations and two surgeries. I have lost over 40 pounds this year so far. I started water walking, against the current, in our community pool for an hour each morning since the second week of June.
Last week I started swimming laps before the water walking. I made my goal of completing a mile during the course of the week. It doesn’t sound like much to those of you who are doing 30 to 60 laps or more at a time, but I am finding it is a long, hard slog. I find the biggest challenge is building up my lung capacity.
It’s a real kick, though. They reserve one lane for lap swimming next to the swim team practice from 6:30 to 7:30am. I know a number of the high school kids on the team as they are staff at the pool. They are so encouraging.
My goal is to routinely swim a mile straight by next summer. My next hurdle will be to find a pool to use starting in September when the public pool closes for the season.
Oh, and my swim trunks have started to slide down a little too far in the back when I get out of the pool, because my butt has gotten smaller.

(Susan) #2

Awesome, Cranford! Your swimming trunks being loose is a very good thing, I know it means you need to buy a new pair, but is a positive accomplishment. Best wishes for your swimming goals and your continued Keto successes =).

(Heather Meyer) #3

Wahoo another 1/2 fish…nice to meet you!
Im just getting back into swimming too. Sadly my swim time has to be from 6 am to 8 am to get it into my day. I start tommorow. My goal is to complete a 4KM swim…so im working up to it. I usually swim 32 laps(there and back) or 64 lengths. I would do this in 50 minutes. But im trying to build my endurance up to 2 hours…see how many more laps i can do. A mile is how many Kms? 2.2??

Anyway…let me know it goes!

(Cranford Coulter) #4

These are the smaller trunks I just bought the end of last month.

(Susan) #5

Wow, well I am happy for you that they are too big, I have lost 41 pounds and still wearing all the same clothes. My body has lost the weight but I don’t see it, still 130 or more to go, and I have clothes that I want to get into.

(Cranford Coulter) #6

I have lost 45 pounds. I have 25 to go for my target. We’ll see. At times the weight loss has stalled, but the fat loss has not. I have added muscle, while losing fat. I had been walking miles around town. Then I started walking miles in the pool against the current.

(Susan) #7

That is awesome.