I suspect this is true for us all: sleep and carbs

(PJ) #1

Sleep issues, mean energy issues, mean a tendency to eat more energy-food

(UsedToBeT2D) #2

I sleep much better on Keto, and I need about 2 hours less than my pre Keto life.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

There’s lots of evidence - just google/duckduck/yandex ‘fat burn during sleep’ - that the time we spend sleeping is just as important for utilizing energy as the time we don’t, that in fact sleep time is necessary for our metabolism to ‘reset’ in prep for the next day. For comparison, while sleeping we burn just as much energy as we do while awake engaged in low-moderate activity. Our bodies don’t go into suspended animation while we’re asleep. Getting a ‘good nights sleep’ is essential to anyone wanting to lose weight/fat. Bad sleep habits can sabotage otherwise good efforts while awake. It’s not just adolescents who undermine their own health by insufficient sleep. :bed:

(Bob M) #4

Not to mention an increase in hormones, such as cortisol.

(Traci Simpson) #5

I sleep like crap and I’m carnivore. When I got into my 50’s my sleep began to suffer.

(Richard M) #6

Me too. I am about to say screw it and I get what I get.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

IDK if I have a bad sleep but I definitely wake up a low-energy zombie with no mood to do anything… Whatever I do, it doesn’t change, I had this all my life. I am not a morning person, I couldn’t even work before noon ever, my brain just wasn’t up to the task most of the time (already started simple things were exceptions).
I think I do everything right except going to bed early (like, at 1am). I just can’t change that, 100% failure rate even if I try.

But I almost never wake up and always get my 6-9 hours in my nice, silent, big comfy bed, all alone. It’s something. I never knew so many people wake up at night!
(I couldn’t neglect sleep, I fall asleep if I lack even a bit.)

(Traci Simpson) #9

those tips do nothing to help my sleep.

(Laurie) #10

Sorry to read that, @DIYGURL. I had insomnia since childhood. It was torture, lying in bed awake for hours, aware that I had to get up and go to school or work in 3 … 2 … 1 hours. I tried many things (including those on the list), to no avail. Doctors just said I should go for an evening walk or drink warm milk.

(Now that I’m almost 70, my sleep problems are different.)

(Judith) #11

My sister was given this website on how to deal with sleep problems by her cardiologist as she has to have open heart surgery.
https://bpac.org.nz/2017/insomnia-1.aspx