I should be burning fat, right? Three questions

(Kirk Wolak) #41

LOL. BTW, if you still have 20-30 lbs to lose, I would definitely remove one meal a day.
My brother made ONLY this change, doesn’t really do Keto, but does better. And lost 30 lbs. He is happy with his weight, and wont go full Keto because he likes his alcohol and is pretty active, wasn’t too heavy.

This was the first tax season he barely gained any weight in 20+ years!

But YMMV… but it is SO WORTH the change. Today is a fasting day for me. I love having the ability to go DAYS without eating. It’s empowering.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #42

Thanks for the tip. I understand keto has become synonymous with fasting which sort of bums me out because I have a disordered eating history so I choose not to fast. My weight loss, although slow, is a wonderful bonus added to the reasons I started keto which include feeling better physically and mentally. I tried fasting a little in the beginning and it triggered the negative self-talk and feeling of failure I thought I was free from so it’s a nope for me.

(Susan) #43

@PetaMarie

It is way better to be feeling good about what you are doing and remembering that slow and steady wins the race. Even if it takes a little longer for the weight to come off, you are still having all the amazing benefits of Keto. I always try to remind myself that we didn’t gain the weight in a short time, and we are re-establishing our metabolisms and rebuilding our bodies, so it is a process and a life style, not a diet! =).

(Jeremy Wheatley) #44

I definitely wasn’t trying to be offensive with my opinions. And certainly didn’t mean to sound as if I was saying exercise is mandatory… only disagreeing with the statement that exercise doesn’t work…

(Wendy) #45

You may find this YouTube very helpful. It’s in 2 parts. I found the discussion about sprinting to be very interesting and other things Dr brought up about health benefits he’s seen from Keto in his patients.
17 pounds is a great start and at our ages (I’m 54) that is not a bad rate. Especially if you factor in that you may be increasing muscle mass as you are losing visceral fat.

https://youtu.be/QbcV0l3zlLc and https://youtu.be/ntEXJtPCEy0
I really liked these videos and can attest to seeing many of the changes in my own body. I am also motivated to do a bit of sprinting myself.

(Kirk Wolak) #46

Sorry, everyone has different issues. Disordered eating is real. I would NOT try fasting with your past experience, WITHOUT being under supervision from a coach/therapist who is WELL TRAINED in these things, and arms you with the appropriate tools.

I was so afraid of fasting, I hired a coach. It made all of the difference to know what to expect BEFORE it happened, and have a plan for dealing with it.

In the end, I have learned… THIS IS A MENTAL GAME! Hunger pangs, etc. etc. are all easily overridden. So much of my eating was “Rewards Based”. When I did well as a kid, I got a “Soda Pop”. When times were good, we had dessert. Normally I was on the free lunch program. Cheap Food is better!!! (OMG, I really had all of those things wired up in my brain. No wonder… I still remember binging one day, and I was comparing prices/servings on the sizes of the little Debbie boxes to determine which one to get.
Lets just say I was making more than 60K/yr at the time, and it never crossed my mind
how much I was making. Just the old program to get the cheapest POISON to fill the void. MIND YOU, I was going to eat the ENTIRE BOX!)

This is why I always say YMMV…
What’s right for me may never be right for you.
What worked for Joe (or how joe remembers it), wont work for everyone, etc…

(Kirk Wolak) #47

Jeremy,
I did not mean to attack. Your message had a ring of “Just Move More” to it.

And MOST of us are probably here after FAILING. I spent 2 years at the gym, AVERAGING 5+ days/week. I had personal trainers, and a nutritionist. I was FLAT for 2 years of all of this work. Many weeks, I would go in on saturday and get an extra day in.
I usually used saturday to catch up if I missed a day during the week.

I was doing cardio EVERY day, and weights 3x/wk. I developed joint issues, and despite being in “better” shape, I was not improving.

My underlying cause was INFLAMMATION, not calories. Food Allergies. Now that
those are out of the way, I am far more enjoying and responding to exercise. It aint bad.
But it depends on what part of the journey you are on.

Just starting… WAIT… Wait until your body says “Hey, I have some extra energy, you wanna go outside?” That’s what mine did! And based on my research, that tends to be the norm. A Healthy body doesn’t choose between: Couch an Kitchen at every choice!