I See Fat People

The 1% are always talking about how the world is overpopulated. Death by sugar!

(Arlene) #62

The obese are definitely in the majority now, and the numbers of obese people are growing by the day. It’s definitely about processed food availability and addiction. I have struggled mightily for years, actively trying to beat my addiction to processed foods, specifically the sweet, fatty, salty, crunchy snack foods. Many, many are completely ignorant of the dangers of processed foods, and the profit-makers will promote these foods for as long as they can get away with it. It’s going to get worse before it gets better, I fear.

(Brian) #63

Going to the grocery store is definitely a different experience than it was before I started this WOE.

Other than non-food items, I usually find myself in the produce section of the store or the dairy/cheese section of the store, and sometimes the meat/fish section of the store. Occasional excursions down an aisle to get stuff like salt, coconut or olive oil, or some spices happen, but there is an awful lot of the store I just don’t go into anymore other than when I feel like walking more.

Nothing in the cereal aisle I want. Nothing in the candy aisleS I want (the large S wasn’t a typo). Nothing in the soda isle I want. Nothing down the cracker aisle I want.

Yup, most of the time, it’s a wide path around the outside with only the occasional excursion into the belly of the beast. LOL!

My wife makes fun of me because I don’t even like walking through the hi-carb aisles, like I am going to be contaminated by the carbs or something.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #65

It’s like second hand smoke. Second hand carbs. Carbs by proxy.

Additives/Fructose too!

As a child I could eat sweets and know when to stop, or I’d feel really sick. As an adult I could bake a 5lb Bundt cake containing 4 cups of sugar and eat the lot in one sitting. What happened, why doesn’t food make people sick anymore when they overdo it?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #67

Hey–I don’t browse in liquor stores either. If you keep hanging around the barbershop, sooner or later you’re going to get a haircut. Why risk triggering a binge? I prefer being free of my addictions. Your wife, with all due respect to her, is obviously not a food addict, lol!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #68

I smoked cigarettes—briefly—in colllege, till one night I chainsmoked three packs and got violently sick. I never smoked again. On the other hand, I would regularly binge-drink to the point of vomiting, and it never stopped me from doing it again. Hey, once you’ve vomited, you have room for more, right? Guess I’m not a nicotine addict, lol!

(VLC.MD) #69

I’ve been called a zealot for my LCHF ways.
I said I couldn’t refute that … but I pointed out I was a skinny zealot.

Concentrate on you. Your journey.

(VLC.MD) #70

Genius.

(MooBoom) #71

That’s what I’ve found too! The middle of the supermarket used to be my haunt, now I skirt the edges. And am much the better for it!

(Sophie) #72

Agreed! The middle isles of the grocery are just a WaistLand. :laughing:

(Carpe salata!) #73

WaistLand. Just brilliant!

(VLC.MD) #74

They’re all wa(i)sted !

“They’re all wasted”

(Stickin' with mammoth) #75

It just came to me. After 47 years.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #76

(stops drinking HWC coffee just long enough to high five JustPeachy)

(Candace Broadway) #77

I actually dream about telling people about keto… I preach the keto gospel in my sleep. My husband and I will look at one another and say “he/she needs keto”.

I am surprised all of the liquor stores in my area didn’t go out of business when I quit. With the food (carb) addiction, I think now I no longer have cravings but I have an aversion. The same is true for alcohol.

(VLC.MD) #79

So kicking one addiction helped with the other ? Interesting ! Maybe there is only one “craving” center in the brain. Fruitloops (and other crappy carbs) are gateway addictions to other addictions :stuck_out_tongue:

I do know that thorough drinkers stop eating food or only eat one meal a day. :frowning_face:

If glucose is bad for the brain, and I believe it is (new sources of proof seem to occur daily), I can see how ending a person’s Glycated Brain Syndrome could help their brain / life / mood / emotions / addictions / mental health / outlook / will to live / struggles / etc.

Can I get some likes for my new diagnostic label ? Glycated Brain Syndrome

haha ! :sunglasses:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #80

It’s well-known among recovering alcoholics that eating sugar helps prevent cravings for alcohol. As well it should, the fructose moiety of sucrose is metabolized by the same pathway the liver uses to metabolize ethanol. (And of course it’s why non-alcholic fatty liver disease is now a thing.)

Dr. Lustig points out, as well, that fructose stimulates the nucleus accumbens in the same manner as ethanol, cocaine, and other drugs of addiction.