I prefer to get my nutrition advice from engineers not dietitians

(Jason) #1

Saw this in my news feed today. This person is the owner of a crossfit gym and has a strong belief in CICO and carbing up for strength. Thoughts?

"There’s a difference between giving nutrition advise to a healthy individual and someone with a medically diagnosed condition. A smart professional knows their scope of practice.

That means if you aren’t a dietitian, you don’t go around giving a meal suggestion or dietary guidance to someone who’s a Type I/Type II diabetic or has hypo/hyperthyroidism just to name a couple (a lot more than this).

To be frank, unless you are a dietitian it’s generally better to stray away from actually giving some a meal list vs saying “shoot for these calories/macros” and allowing the individual to make the food choices with reasonable guidance.

Don’t know what you’re talking about or are unsure? Refer them to an appropriate professional that does. You aren’t ‘stupid,’ you’re actually making the intelligent decision to refer to someone that does know. You’re ensuring the health and safety of another person rather than risking it by being cocky."

(eat more) #2

you might want to put quote tags around what was said…i thought you were saying it…or maybe the gym owner was…or maybe you were :joy:

disclaimer: i’m not currently in my right mind and it may be perfectly clear to others lol

(Jason) #3

fixed it!

(eat more) #4

i think he’s putting far too much faith in “dietitians” and gym “professionals”.
it generally takes like a minute to become a “certified personal trainer/nutritionist”.
you can’t tell a person’s health by looking at them…yet most “professionals” (in this context) see extra weight as extra calories, and dole out nutritional plans without asking for blood work…

maybe he’s never been on Pinterest or any fitness forum to see all of the food lists/meal plans? :joy:

(David Driver) #5

I think dietitians are the high school guidance counselors of the adult world.

Dieticians generally know only what they were taught in school, and if that was wrong information, then that’s what you’ll get out of them. GIGO. Doctors often fall into the same category, unfortunately. Trusting the existing authorities has gotten us fatter and sicker.
I’m looking at you ADA and AHA.

(Jo Lo) #7

The gym person may be filtering this through his/her lawyer.

I believe that there are laws that say that only Registered Dieticians can give dietary advice in a medical setting. This is partly why doctors rarely talk about diet. There is a structure to who can give out certain info. Mainly guarantees job security and a piece of the medical pie, as it were.

Personally I get my dietary advice from journalists (Taubes, Teicholz), engineers (Cummings), and a few carefully selected docs (Noaks, Naiman, Rhonda Patrick, Zoe Harcomb, etc).