I plan to break carnivoire for a day

(Louis) #1

I will be breaking carnivore diet for a day. Its my daughter birthday and I plan to have some of her cake and lasagne, which she loves. Please do not judge. This will be only time I have broken carnivore in 5 weeks. What will I expect? Sluggish. Will it completely take me out of fat burning? how long will it take to get back to the same point, setback? Thanks in advance.

It’s very individual…
It’s better if you are already fat adapted but as far as I know, it just set back that a little, one doesn’t need to start all over again.

How do you feel after the carbs? VERY individual. Even I can’t know such things for myself as they vary and its usually not the type of the carbs but they matter a bit too. Many people are sensitive to certain things, type of carbs may matter way more then.

I hope you like the food as it makes very little sense to me to eat something someone else loves but if your daughter is very small, I may understand to some extent (not fully as I have no children) :). Enjoy the birthday, both of you and everyone else :slight_smile:
I would be careful. Just a taste if it’s really need to have done. You don’t know how your body will react. It can be very unpleasant if you overdo it but what is overdoing? Super individual. Some people suffer for days just because they touched vegetables and others eat 400g simple sugar without a problem (this is for ketoers, I have no info about carnivores eating lots of carbs, they probably don’t do it. I only flirt with carnivore when I manage to get enough meat and I have carby days but not that very serious ones. my body dislikes even my old keto, too carby but no serious problems. but a high-carb day, well that wouldn’t feel right, to put it lightly. it can ruin several days. no pain but insane barely satiable hunger, low energy, bad enough. nope, not that. and I can handle carbs way, way better than many people, I’ve read stories about cramps all night and other problems, again, only ketoers and usually silly ones eating tons of carbs suddenly).

You get back into ketosis quickly, I wouldn’t worry about that part. Especially if you are fat adapted. But it really can shock your body and cause unpleasantness. It matters why do you do carnivore. If you are a very healthy one and especially if you were very used to lots of carbs… I still don’t know, my body always hated to go back to more carbs, it happened quickly. But if you had problems with plants, you obviously shouldn’t eat them again. But I guess it’s not the case if you ask this.
Whatever is the case, keep the carbs low as much as possible. It always was a good idea for me.

I hope the real carnivores can say more useful things. But it IS individual, you risk bad things if you aren’t careful, it is certain.

Congratulations on not being an idiot! WAY to many people turn their WOE into a religion. Not eating your daughters birthday cake and enjoying a normal meal with her would be insane. I came close to that a couple times back when I was new to keto and was a full fledged kool aid drinking keto cult member, never again! If you’re WOE can’t allow you to be NORMAL, then somethings wrong.

Why would you care what other people you don’t know think to begin with? Easy way to avoid that is to not announce it to the internet! You’ll burn off what you eat, then you’ll go back. That simple. Eating Carnivore for only 5 weeks I doubt you’ll have any real fallout from going off. Enjoy your daughters birthday and don’t worry about stupid stuff like this.

(Elizabeth ) #4

Yep you will probably pay a price. I have seen very few people mention that there weren’t consequences for 24 hours to as much as a week, the exceptions I can remember was where they had a small slice of cake, but if you’re going face down into carbs for the day I don’t think you’re going to overall damage your metabolism, but your gut will probably not be real happy for some time. And don’t be surprised if you get a headache from the sugar.

Agree with Elizedge. You will probably feel it in the gut and bathroom mostly LOL but if one wants to go for it, then go for it.

Will it destroy all your progress on healing and more…no. Just delay the changes kinda thing.

For me zc is a lifestyle and I am not using it as a means to an end and wanna cheat while doing it kind of approach. I do not want to eat plants, or crap anymore so I go all in zc cause it is my lifestyle and choice…if you are different in your approach then it is your choice :slight_smile: But if you feel you want this food then eat it. We aren’t the ones eating sugar, you are HAHA but yea, it is cool, you do you anyway you want in the end of it all of course.

plus when ya do eat off, you will know what it will physically do to you. might make ya crave more? make ya icky for a day or 2 or even you might get NO effects kinda……so just doing it and see what goes down is all you can do.

Happy birthday to your daughter!!!

No it wouldn’t… People may have a nice time together without eating the same food… I surely wouldn’t eat a sugary birthday cake… It would be insane to carb poison myself with some not even edible/enjoyable stuff…
The OP surely have this differently and I respect that and see no problem with it.
But not everyone considers keto a religion or does it wrong just because they avoid harmful substances almost or totally ALL the time. It’s a logical thing to live a healthy lifestyle and I see no sacrifice in it in general. Keto all the time would be a sacrifice for me so I don’t do it but even I wouldn’t eat a birthday cake under normal circumstances… It’s so bad, doesn’t worth it at all. No positive part of it.
But I don’t have a lovely daughter who would love me to eat it and wouldn’t understand no. (If I had, we would eat keto cake made by me. And I probably would eat it only if I wanted, it’s part of teaching the kid that we needn’t to eat the same. But it’s my personal attitude, others may have drastically different ones, it’s cool.)

People do care about opinion of strangers. I don’t know why but they do. But I don’t think anyone has any right to judge the OP :slight_smile: And there are really no need to worry about it at all.
Our woe is our decision, I agree, I don’t like keto snobs either. Some people DO NEED burn the bridges and never going into close to carby food if possible… Many of us don’t. I trust the OP to decide things like these, no one else can say what to do, what is worth it… Because what we have and experience, that’s only for ourselves and not even for all our life. Others may need something different.

Not everyone can stop at 1-2 slices of cake, by the way… And not everyone can enjoy tons of carbs without pain or unpleasantness, not even 5 weeks into low-carb. As far as I know, it’s normal to have problems after some time if we just cut out sugar and flour. Most paleoers experience that. I did too.

(Not a cow) #7

Since it is unlikely that you are carnivore adapted yet, similar to me, you won’t feel that bad the next day. I usually have a barely noticeable feeling of soreness, but not enough to stop me from indulging in more carbs. My weight would be the same after one day, would be up a little the second day, and then up a lot after the 3rd day.

Yup, usually a 1 day carb cheat for me becomes a 3 day carb eating event, even though I try to remind myself afterward that it was only a one meal cheat. Cravings are a powerful thing, just be mindful about that.

Like everyone says after knocking yourself out of ketosis, get back on the horse, and start burning fat again no matter how long it takes. For me it takes about 5 days to recover from a 3 day binge.

yea this is so true. we usually pay for days to get back what the carb crap did to us if we go off. I sure understand that and it is that way for most people. Indulge one meal and pay for days later. Kinda stinks doesn’t it LOL
When one is longer and tighter and more in tune with their lifestyle they can maybe do a 1 day, 1 simple food item and get back on track very fast and not get big effects…but when newer to any big change, the earlier on we eat junkier the more we pay in many ways for that early on going back to SAD.
I know, I been there LOL

I don’t recall saying they couldn’t.

“Carb poison”? Don’t be dramatic. Not enjoyable? Was that your viewpoint of cake, ice cream and cookies before keto?

I got sick of explaining to my kid why I wouldn’t eat his birthday cake, why I wouldn’t eat the Christmas cookies that he made me. Why when we brought him out for a treat I wouldn’t get anything with them. “Sorry, Daddy eats weird and I can’t eat awesome things because I’ll curl up and die if it do”… oh yeah, that’s right… I WON’T! I’ll burn it off and go right back where I was.

funny cause all I did was tell my kid mom doesn’t eat that for personal reasons and I don’t like it, and IF she went further I would take 1 lick. 1 nibble and say OH SO GOOD and that would satisfy her ‘wanting to feed me’ when she was younger. Now older she knows I eat different and has no qualms about it. You don’t have think your kids are not up to the task of understanding why you do what you do ya know. Not saying this about your kids, I am saying that in general to all about kids and what they know and learn and understand. I say tell the kids the truths of what life is for us as we need it and all should be fine with a ‘little lick or nibble’ now and then if required LOL

It is cool tho everyone rolls how they gotta in their household…it is what it is for each of us. Your decision is just that and I always choose to put my healthy eating plan over anything else which I always felt was a plus to my kid, in that she is very low carb now and understands it vs. being a raging carboholic junk food eater. How it works for us here.

Why? I like to be dramatic. But I wasn’t unnecessarily so. Carb posioning isn’t a nice thing and it’s a very fitting expression for that experience.

Who cares what was my opinion of things before keto? I loved cakes ON keto too, by the way, ate a ton of it, they helped me a lot. I eat ice cream on carnivore…
BUT not sugary ones. My hate towards added sugar is way older than my keto but it doesn’t matter what is my personal experience. I am against the thinking that avoiding sugar is an insane thing. It isn’t. It’s a very wise thing for many people, even ALL the time.

No, an insanely (normally) sugary thing isn’t enjoyable to me and many others. If someone still can enjoy it and it even feels good enough for them, it’s their decision… I did that whenever I wanted but not every cake is worth it on any point of our journey. Suffering twice (when eating the cake and afterwards) is clearly a bad idea. It’s very individual, it depends on us and the cake alike.

I think I wrote I understand that people behave differently with their kids. I never would tell my kid I eat weird. I eat totally normal from my viewpoint. And not wanting cake is so simple. And cake isn’t equals awesome to me. I ate a very good cake this week (I made it and my family loves it) and I had to eat some proper meat right afterwards to get rid of the taste I can’t enjoy anymore…
I won’t die even if I eat 1 kg of dried dates let alone some cakes and pasta. I would potentially suffer and go crazy with hunger for days on carnivore due to some cake. Or not, it varies. But some people would get a harder time than me, even after a single time. And suffering for eating worse food than normal? Clearly, this is the insane to me and I gladly would explain things zillion times to my kid. I explained things zillion time on the internet and well, that is a silly idea, my kid would be a better investment of my time. So many interesting things could be mentioned…
In your stead, I would eat the awesome food that cause no problem for me… I always eat whatever I fancy, I think, or very close to it… But not everyone can do it without “punishment”. I respect them and their avoiding ways.

Your and less lucky people’s life is different. Eating a cake may be an insanely destructive idea for someone else, no matter what is the reason for it.
I am in-between, I just eat great food that doesn’t harm me and I don’t miss anything. If I do, very rarely, I decide how I can maximize my joy and try to do that. Joy from food (and the knowledge I ate that, freedom, rebelliousness, convenience, and so on) vs joy from feeling well afterwards. It works pretty well. Most birthday cakes are easy, bad idea, forget it.

You do your best thing, hopefully, I do mine and others do theirs.

(Susan) #12

No one should judge you for enjoying a day off plan with your darling daughter --she is adorable --I hope that she has a lovely birthday.

You at least hinted eating the same meal is very important as not doing it is “insane”.
I never saw the point, it’s being together the important for me and many of us so not eating the same food is not insane to us. It is to you, fine, don’t do it. But you shouldn’t force your ideals to others. Well, you can’t, you just seem to think only your approach is right. Well, it isn’t. THIS IS the religion. Only One True Way exists and that is mine… If people do it different, they are wrong. No, they may be just different.

And carnivore can be totally NORMAL.
The usual, average person normal is actually quite bad. I don’t even consider it “normal” as that’s a positive thing in my dictionary (tough but this is life, we use words a tad differently), just the usual way.

(Ken) #14

Mmmmm, yesterday I had a couple of potatoes fried crispy in bacon fat. Then, I decided to have French Toast, six pieces also fried in bacon fat. I finished it up with chocolate Easter candy, an entire seven ounce bag. I had had a 2 lb. Ribeye for lunch. This was obvious carb day for me, I usually have one once per week. And yes, I’ve lost 20 lbs. in the last four months.

Keto pizza on the menu today, by not until I’m hungry.