I need help, please!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #41

Whatever it is about coffee, it’s not the caffeine. After all, no one ever worries about tea and keto, and the problem with colas and keto is not the caffeine, but the sugar content.

In my years on this forum, I have learned two very important facts about coffee: (1) it is very bad for a ketogenic diet, because it kicks us out of ketosis, and (2) it is excellent for a ketogenic diet, because it enhances ketosis.

Just to declare how I come down on the issue, you can pry my coffee mug out of my cold, dead hands. :coffee:

I avoid tea and all caffeine because an espresso would cause my lower back muscles to tighten up and low doses over a period of time leads to light sensitivity. Chocolate also does cause light sensitivity when I consumed a lot to the point where I felt amazing… stimulated. Plus the withdrawal headaches from not drinking caffeine or eating chocolate for a day aren’t worth it.

You forgot mine. 3) It is very bad for a ketogenic diet because it artificially enhances ketosis by increasing growth hormone and well… it causes a dependency.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #43

I’m not sure what growth hormone has to do with ketogenesis, which is stimulated by glucagon and inhibited by insulin. I don’t think even IGF gets a look-in, and in any case, it is more common in an anabolic dietary milieu, whereas ketogenesis is more of a catabolic phenomenon. At least, according to Prof. Bikman.

https://www.google.com/search?q=growth+hormone+lipolysis
https://www.google.com/search?q=growth+hormone+caffeine

In the context of this Review, it is important to note that GH is lipolytic whereas IGF1 is not. Thus, the role of IGF1 in lipolysis is not discussed; however, an indirect role of IGF1 on lipolysis is possible via an influence on adipose tissue structure and function (for example, adipokine expression, senescence, fibrosis and depot differences). Future studies are necessary to delineate the specific molecular targets affected by either GH or IGF1 actions in adipose tissue.
10.1038s41574-019-0280-9_compressed.pdf (770.8 KB)

Ketogenesis can be anabolic when adipose tissue is low since free fatty acids released while loosing weight will prevent growth hormone release.

i don’t doubt IGF is anabolic but I’ve never had it released in appreciable quantity without pushing myself or holding a heavy object over my head.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

Growth factor builds up tissue, which is the definition of anabolism. Catabolism is the breaking down of tissue, of course. Prof. Benjamin Bikman, whose specialty is insulin and glucagon and their roles in metabolism, explains that ketogenesis and autophagy are primarily functions of a catabolic dietary milieu, i.e., when the insulin/glucagon ratio is low, and tissue growth is primarily a function of an anabolic dietary milieu, when the insulin/glucagon ratio is high. Though of course they are all occurring to some extent, regardless of what we are eating, or we’d never survive.

(Kirk Wolak) #46

I am curious if you are sensitive to lectins (like in tomatoes, etc)?

Because you are talking about symptoms I get when I consume things I am sensitive to!

1. It helps us read through all the discussion on the Ketogenic Forums.

(Bunny) #48

Growth hormone is also artificially suppressed by a high sugar diet or over-eating which in turn lowers DHEA (pituitary-hypothalamus-adrenal-gonad-axis; causes impotence or lowers sex drive and inhibits the ability to burn body fat)…refined sugar dependency?

I am sensitive to unripe tomatoes because the tomatoes don’t want to be eaten when they aren’t ready to be eaten but those symptoms are due to caffeine/theobromine overstimulation of my serotonergic system.

(Kirk Wolak) #50

Forgive me, but I might be learning something useful from you…

How is your blood pressure? In general, and after you have had something that affects your serotonergic system?

Thanks in advance!

My blood pressure is normal now but I’ve never tested it after consuming coffee or chocolate. Caffeine does also raise dopamine. Dopamine regulates blood pressure. So either too much or even withdrawal from caffeine/chocolate will cause symptoms associated with a lack of dopamine… such as shaking.

Bananas for instance contain norepenephrine, dopamine and serotonin. These molecules raise blood pressure and hence eating too many bananas is deadly for someone with heart disease.