I need a Brit! Clotted Cream question

So after having my fill of hearing about how beyond amazing clotted cream is I figured I’d head to an uppity grocery store to see if they had it, they did, but it seems WAY overpriced for what you get. Not sure if this is because it’s “international” or not but it seems legit enough, is this stuff normally so expensive? Or should I just try to make my own?

(bulkbiker) #2

In the UK I buy this

Which for 225 g is $2.68

So your looks pretty pricey… then again it has travelled from rural Devon to the USA which I guess probably costs a fortune too…
Interestingly when I put that website into google I get a link to here.https://www.coombecastle.com
which has a slightly different address and would imply a certain amount of inaccuracy in the labelling of your product…

(Allie) #3

I’ve never had it, the idea doesn’t appeal…

I’ve never had it (I’m in the US) but when I looked it up, it sounds almost like the very dense layer of almost solid cream that I find at the top of some of the organic HWC I buy. Does that sound about like what it is? If so, I’m already in love. I saw several recipes claiming it’s pretty easy to make at home, so maybe at 8 bucks per 6 oz it’s worth trying to make it myself? Has anyone tried it?

Clotted cream is fantastic but I can’t say I’ve ever had it out of a jar so can’t comment on whether it’s any good. I normally buy the fresh Rodda’s stuff as well. I’m always suspicious of cream based products that don’t need to be in the fridge…

To answer your question yes, that is expensive, but it’s imported and a niche product for you guys. I’m sure if I wanted to buy grape nuts here I’d pay through the nose, thankfully I don’t :slight_smile:

I think we are spoiled for cream products here in the UK, from what I can gather it’s harder to find good, fresh high fat creams in the US - the ‘heavy cream’ most mentioned on the show and forums is lower in fat than what we’d use here.

Double cream is my standard that I use for everything cream related e.g. in coffee, or to make sauces, to luxurify scrambled egg or just pour over berries (classic strawberries and double cream is a winner).

This link seems to nicely explain the differences https://whatscookingamerica.net/Sauces_Condiments/CreamDefinitions.htm

Thanks, that chart was cool. Seems we start off more or less the same then get beat in the end. If normal heavy cream is about 10% less fat than your guys double cream I’d say the stuff I’ve been buying lately is probably right in line with it. REAL heavy! I’ll probably grab that thing of clotted cream as an experiment if nothing else.

(Sarah Slancauskas) #7

I’ve never known clotted cream to be kept out of the fridge! And I’m from Penzance in Cornwall so am very well versed in clotted cream. The price is definitley very high, too. I’d avoid, personally.

That stuff was refrigerated, I just figured it may be worth getting screwed in price once to see if it was something I wanted to attempt making or not. Being a dairy / cream junkie it’s probably better if I don’t but I get things in my head and run with them!

(R L) #9

I thought about trying to make it myself using this technique.
Any Brits know if this is right?

Yup.
Clotted cream is basically cream that is gently ‘cooked’ for a very long time (used to be left in a wide flat pan on top of the banked range all night).

That vid looks legit.

My concern about the stuff in jars is basicly that it wouldn’t have the best bit - the dry almost crunchy top. Heaven.
Clotted cream is, IMHO la creme de la creme of all creams. No contest.

And it should be as thick and solid as a blamange or set desert, like a jelly. :stuck_out_tongue:

(R L) #11

Thanks Brunneria!:slight_smile:
I’m definitely going to try it now!

(Jamie Marie ) #12

I’m American, but I’m married to an Englishman, and he introduced me to real clotted cream. Before I met him, I once bought a little jar of clotted cream that I found at World Market. It was also rather pricey and, frankly, kind of gross.

My husband looked horrified when I told him about it and immediately started talking about the real stuff. He made it sound so good that I looked for a recipe, as we sadly cannot buy it here. Fortunately, it’s crazy easy to make for yourself. The video Coldcynic posted is pretty much how I make it. It takes ages, but it’s so worth it.

This stuff is delicious, and cannot compare to that little jar of stuff being called clotted cream. That was my experience, anyway. If you can get grassfed cream the taste is even more incredible, and has more of that amazing yellow crust, according to my husband. I’ve only made it with regular cream, as it’s the only thing I can get in my area. Next time I might melt down some Kerrygold and add it to the cream.

(bulkbiker) #13

Kermit makes cream?

(Anne) #14

Clotted cream is amazing, but is such a bother to make that its not really worth it. I had a tea party about a month ago (I served mostly carby stuff because i was cohosting with a friend and all our friends dont do keto) and I thought about making my own clotted cream.
In the end, I just whipped heavy cream till it was juuust past whipped cream but hadn’t totally gone butter yet. With a pinch of cream of tartar. It tasted amazing, held up through three hours of party, and people thought it was really clotted cream. So… clotted cream hack? Haha

(KCKO, KCFO) #15

I thought clotted cream was usually served with scones and jam. Not very keto. Are there other things it goes well with, that might fit into keto WOE? When in England, I loved the stuff, but I could still eat scones, etc. back in the day.

(bulkbiker) #16

All you need is a teaspoon… nothing else required. Mmmmmm heaven.

Clotted cream goes with ANYTHING. So long as there is more cream than whever you are having it with. Fruit, cake, desserts, mousse, brownies (all LC/keto options, of course :wink: ), also on top of meat instead of butter or mayo.

I’ve just had a moment imagining it as a dip for crispy bacon… mmm… mmm!

Putting it in cooking would be sacrilege though.

(Norma Laming) #18

Just eat it with a spoon!

(bulkbiker) #19

Finger if spoon not available…

And don’t forget to lick the plate or bowl!

:rofl: