I miss popcorn

(Karla Sykes) #1

I swear I get random thought some things that I miss and there’s no keto alternative for popcorn. I really miss this stuff

(Bob M) #2

If you’re far enough along, you can have some popcorn. I make 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn, which is about 52 g carbs:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/generic-unpopped-popcorn-kernels-1-2-cup-179752289

We add butter and salt to that and divide by four people, so about 13 grams of carbs per serving. I’ve seen zero blood sugar rise from this and have been able to stay in ketosis.

(Failed) #3

I know it’s pretty low carb, but isn’t the fact that it’s corn a big negative?

(Dan Dan) #4

PopCorn is one of the best low carb treats and can even be keto, a serving of popcorn is 2 tbsp unpopped and 4 to 5 cups popped at 15 to 20 net carbs depending on the type/brand.:thinking::astonished::heart_eyes:

My problem is most bags of microwave popcorn is 2 to 2.5 servings per bag and who can stop at just one serving. :thinking::crazy_face:

I would buy the single serving bags but I’m just too darn cheap (they charge the same price as the bigger bags). :money_mouth_face::crazy_face:

If it fits in your carb count and you can control yourself go for it. :grinning:

Disclaimer: I am one of the lucky ones who can have up to 50 net carbs a day and stay in ketosis and lose weight. :astonished::crazy_face:

(Karla Sykes) #6

Wait! Are you saying that I can actually eat popcorn. First of all I never liked that microwave ***** but I’m more of a air popped popcorn person. I always thought popcorn was a no on the keto diet

(Karla Sykes) #7

I had no clue that popcorn was even permitted on the keto diet

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

Popcorn flavoured butter?

(Karla Sykes) #9

The only popcorn I ever loved was air popcorn

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #10

@Karla_Sykes Not popcorn unless I missed it but, you’d probably like some of this:

(Karla Sykes) #11

Thanks I’ll look into it

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #12

Yea, me too. I was just getting into this stuff before I went keto…

Peas, corn, beans, lentils and quinoa are relatively high in carbs, and so are not good options on a keto low-carb diet. On a more moderate or liberal low-carb diet, you may be able to include some peas and lentils.

How about cheese crisps or puffed cheese (like Moon cheese)? I’ve not tried it myself, but I hear when you make Moon Cheese at home, it actually pops. :slight_smile:

(Dan Dan) #15

LOL …The Truth will set you free :thinking::crazy_face:

PopCorn if you choose the right type/brand is low Carb and if it fits in your carb count can be Keto :astonished::crazy_face:

5 cups of Air popped (2 tbsp unpopped) has a GI of 55 and 15 net carbs and a GL of 8.25

(Karla Sykes) #16

Thank you so much I am going to go and buy some popcorn tomorrow and make two tablespoons oh. I love air popcorn

(Dan Dan) #17

Bob’s red mill is 15 net carbs and a GL of 8.25 for 2 tbsp but expensive $7.77 for 30 oz
Orville redenbacher is 17 net carbs a GL of 9.35 for 2 tbsp at half the price $4.98 for 45oz
JollyTime is the least expensive at 1.94 for 32 oz but has 20 net carbs a GL of 11 for 2 tbsp

(all are non-gmo - prices from walmart.com )

FYI - To lower the Glycemic Load and carb count have a smaller serving size. For example have 1 tbsp (2.5 cups popped) instead of 2 tbsp (5 cups popped) it will lower your GL and carb count by half :astonished::thinking::crazy_face:

(Bob M) #18

That is a possibility. For me, I eat it so rarely (maybe 1-2 times per month) that it’s likely not a big deal. My kids will eat it more often, but I’ll make it sometimes and not eat it. It depends.

(Failed) #19

For me, as much as I used to live on popcorn before keto, it’s eating as recreation, not nutrition, so I can’t chance it.

(Jane) #20

I didn’t eat any while trying to lose weight (they fatten grass fed cows on corn before they butcher them) but my husband and I will split a bowl occasionally. I used to worry about the butter we poured over it, not the corn LOL.

We buy the bags of plain popcorn and use the microwave. Used to pop 1/3 cup but reduced it to 1/4 cup unpopped and cut back on the time a bit. Works out to 2 Tbl unpopped each, 19 net carbs so definitely a treat on a day we’ve even pretty strict keto.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #21

In case anyone’s interested.