I miss fruit!

newbies
food

(Alix Thomas) #1

So i miss fruit. A lot. I can do without potatoes (who knew i could say goodbye to some fries?!) and breads and even chocolate… but i miss peaches and bananas and cherries! And we have so many amazing local farms that i would get all my fruits from! I know its my body trying to trick me into getting more sugar, but what can a girl do when all she wants is a juicy peach and some watermelon?? Tiny handfuls of berries just dont cut it… Any advice???

(Tammy) #2

I like Hint water. It has a “hint” of fruit and I love it. My favorites are cherry, peppermint, pineapple, apple. Only found one flavor I don’t like so far.

(Robert C) #3

According to Google…

1. A peach a day would be fine
  2. Half a peach and 100 grams of watermelon would be fine
  3. 1.5 cups of watermelon would be fine

All three of those options are under 20 grams of carbs.

You’d just have to stay away from other sources of carbs you might be having now.

Of course, after a few days of dealing with your craving, you might find you prefer cheese or broccoli or whatever else you had to discontinue to keep under 20 grams of carbs a day. You also might simply find that fruit doesn’t work the way it did before. Those smaller amounts aren’t going to send you on a sugar high like the consumption of half a watermelon in one sitting did before (if that is what you were doing before).

Your other option is to test your blood ketones.

50 grams of carbs from a couple of Quest bars might (i.e. will probably) affect you very differently than 50 grams of carbs from peaches and watermelon. You might stay well within ketosis with the fruit where the 50 grams of carbs in processed candy ah…, I mean “energy” bar might throw you right out.

(Robert C) #4

The other thing to keep in mind is how you handle eating fruit.

Doritos are Keto - a single serving of 12 chips is 18 grams of carbs (if you stick with meat and leafy greens for the rest of the day).
But, once the bag is open and those 12 chips go down - most people won’t stop there.

So, if your history of peach eating was always 5 to 10 at a sitting.
If you shopped for larger watermelons because finishing an entire small one didn’t satiate.
Then, just as most people would agree about trying to stick with 12 Dorito chips, it might not be good to even start eating any of your favorite fruits to find out.

(Scott) #5

I haven’t had fruit in over a year. I am thinking that between meat and good fresh produce I am getting what I need. I would love to hear if anyone disagrees. Things that I have had this week are Okra, Asparagus, Green Beans and Spaghetti Squash. This along with pork tenderloin, ribeye steak, salmon and ground beef w/ sauce on the squash to make it spaghetti. That is all dinner, for lunch I often have leftovers or add the protein to a salad.

(Bob M) #6

My mother is recovering from pancreatic cancer surgery, and rather than feed her those (complete garbage) Ensures to get her weight up, we’ve been using Keto Chow. You add your fat to it, which we’ve been using cream. They have banana and strawberry. They smell great, although I’ve not had any (I make them for her in the morning, and I don’t eat breakfast).

They are, however, ridiculously expensive ($5/each). But if you needed something that tasted good, I’m sure these would be OK.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

@Silentlnsanity You’ve been on keto for less than 2 months. Lots of stuff you ‘miss’ you will not miss eventually. If you cater to the stuff you ‘miss’ now, you will fight a losing battle for a very long time. To put it into perspective think of ‘fruit’ as carbon sacks of sugar. Except avocado, which is a carbon sack of fat.

(Scott) #8

I agree. When I look at a pile of sugar and a piece of fruit I now see the same thing.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #9

I agree but I understand it’s the season for ripe fruit and along with your body’s craving for sugars it’s probably a mental thing as well. I never really liked fruit and two months into this way of eating I would have devoured a table full of fruit so if you already like it, I can imagine the craving is tough.

I would ask if you’re actually hungry or just want to taste it? It’s easier to manage cravings when your tummy is full and you’re eating meals that leave you sated.

(Erin Macfarland ) #10

@amwassil lol…carbon sack of fat!! Hilarious! I have been LCHF for over 5 years now and initially I wouldn’t let myself eat so much as s baby carrot because I was freaked out it had too many carbs…so for a very long time I stayed away from vegetables, and of course fruit, that had a higher sugar content. No tomatoes, red peppers, that sort of thing. But after going through many iterations of eating this way, I have thankfully become more flexible and realized that for me, having some fruit or carrots or peppers or squash (in smaller amounts obviously ) is very beneficial psychologically and for promoting longevity in eating this way. When I have cold, locally grown melon in the fridge that I’ve cut up for my kids, having a few chunks of it on a hot day is incredibly satisfying. That being said, I am lean, very active and insulin sensitive, so I can easily handle a little fruit or carrots or spaghetti squash without experiencing negative metabolic effects. My suggestion here would be to try small amounts of lower sugar fruits IF diabetes or IR aren’t issues that are being addressed by eating keto. And physical activity can be beneficial for mitigating the slight increase in carbs. I would balance this by lowering fat in the diet when fruit is consumed. So, maybe don’t put half a stick of butter on your broccoli if you’re also going to eat some berries…then you don’t have all that extra energy circulating on top of the liver having to process the fructose in the fruit…