I made him a believer

(Tessy M.) #1

My husband and I are both working on losing weight. Between the two of us, we have a whole 'big boned" human to lose.
We both did quite well following low glycemic. But, we fell off the wagon and wound up near where we started. He started with the MWL and I started Keto. The difference between the two is primarily restriction. It didn’t take long for him to see all the food I was eating and enjoying and not being hungry while losing more pounds than he was. He got on board, but still struggles to really buy-in. He sticks to chicken breast (so dry and fatless) but does add plenty of cheese and avocado. Not a battle I’m ready to fight with him yet. He is still trying to shake the years of ingrained dogmas that fat is is going to give him a heart attack and is generally unhealthy, and that you should eat many small meals throughout the day to keep the metabolism up.
He hasn’t fought me on my fasting (OMAD, 48, 36), but I can see in his face that he is uncomfortable with it and the large amount of food I eat when I’m feasting.
I have convinced him to try IF. One week ago he began 18:6. It was really hard for him. But his usual two pound weekly weight loss jumped up to 8. He was blown away.

Today was the real victory. He decided, all on his own, that he will try to incorporate a 36 hour fast, weekly!

(Sophie) #2

Rock On!!! :clap::clap::clap:

(What The Fast?!) #3

what is MWL?

(Vladaar Malane) #4

I think it’s the McDougal Plan right OP?
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/free-mcdougall-program/10-day-meal-plan/

Awesome that your husband is now fasting too. The word fast, literally scares the crap of most people.

(Tessy M.) #5

Medical Weight Loss Diet.
It also aims to remove carbs and get you into ketosis, but doesn’t let you eat dairy and only allows you to each so much during a meal. It definitely does not tell you to eat to satiety. It’s effective, just not sustainable IMO.

(Tessy M.) #6

It’s not the McDougall plan. On a side note, I clicked the link just to see what it was and the first thing I read was
“Starches are the Key to Discovering Health
The secret of the McDougall Program is to make starches the centerpiece of your diet with various fruits and vegetables added to the mix.”
Sure Dr. M., I’ll take your word for it!