I’m hungry?!

Hi, this will be my 3rd week on Keto. I’m a breastfeeding mama so started at 50g net carbs but since last week am averaging about 20-30g net carbs with no milk supply issue or hunger.

However for the past 3 days I’ve been HUNGRY! Like really hungry! I eat fat until satiety and moderate amounts of protein. I’m having plenty of water and electrolytes also.

In the first week I lost 6lbs but since then just another 3lbs.

I started my menstrual cycle yesterday, could that be why I’m feeling so hungry? But I also discovered some protein bars on Friday - pulsin peanut choc -5g net carbs, could something in this be making me feel hungry?

I was using ketone urine strips which confirmed I was in Ketosis but they ran out a few days ago so I have no way of confirming that I’m in Ketosis.

What do you think?

It’s perfectly normal for hunger to ramp up as you adapt & breastfeeding will also contribute. The hunger that comes with my cycle changes is still there after 5 years too - it’s more muted but it’s there. As to the protein bar - some people do find that artificial sweeteners make them hungrier. I’d probably ditch the bar, stick to whole, unprocessed foods & eat as much as you need to :slightly_smiling_face: Your appetite will regulate the longer you go on.

(Failed) #3

I am not an expert, so I will leave that to the people on here who do know what they’re talking about. I’m just posting the ingredients for others to comment on.

Peanut Choc Bars

INGREDIENTS

Peanuts (27%)
Brown Rice Malt
Pea Protein
Chicory Fibre
Chocolate Chips (Cocoa Mass, Sweetener (Xylitol)
Cocoa Butter
Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin)) (8%)
Peanut Butter (6%)
Cacao Butter
Agave Nectar
Rice Protein
Natural Flavouring
Peanut Flour (2%)
Cacao Powder
Grape Juice Concentrate
Rice Starch
Cacao Extract
Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin)
Green Tea Extract
Sea Salt
Antioxidant (Vitamin E)

(Susan) #4

If the new bars you found have artificial sweeteners in them (which I am guessing they do) then they can certainly trigger hunger. I cannot eat any artificial sweeteners personally, this being one of the reasons. They also make me gain weight…

Just eat more calories, from more fats and proteins if you need more food, and try to get it from real whole foods =).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

Nope. According to the nutrition label above, they contain real sugar to the tune of 7.6 grams per bar.

:woman_facepalming:t2: I was so focussed on the carbs I didn’t pay attention to the sugars…I’m guessing those sugars are from natural sources though, like the grapes maybe? It doesn’t have sugar or glucose etc listed.

Either way I shall not be eating them again!

The second ingredient listed is ‘brown rice malt’ which is basically a sugar syrup - it’s one of those health halo tricks that food processors like to use :roll_eyes: It’s remarkable how many names they’ve come up with for sugar & no great surprise that people get confused. It’s best just to look at the carb number :slightly_smiling_face:

:fearful::rage: ah I’m so annoyed with myself! I really hope I haven’t knocked myself out of Ketosis!

I wouldn’t worry too much - we all learn as we go along :slightly_smiling_face: You’ll get the hang of it.

Thank you x

You are just one clean keto meal away from being back on track. In addition to the malt, I would avoid Peanuts, Peanut butter, Agave (sugar), Rice protein, Peanut flour, Grape Juice Concentrate (sugar) Rice starch…