I’m a Keto newbie(and a baker)

(Crystal Garcia) #1

I’m new to Keto, have lost 20lbs in two months and having been feeling really good. I’m a baker and work from home, I have to experiment with new recipes and find my self having to test just a bit of whatever I’m cooking, I try to spit out the most of it because I don’t want the sugar in my body. Do you think try and tasting my recipes could affect my Keto life style???

(Karen) #2

Yes, it will trigger insulin, but not sure if it will be a huge hit.

K

I feel for you- I do some cake decorating myself… trouble is after 3 months Keto, stuff tastes so horribly sweet to me it’s hard to judge! That might affect your new recipes…
Can’t say about the tasting & insulin etc., but what you’re doing is obviously working, well done on the weight loss so far!

(Crystal Garcia) #4

Your so right on that, yesterday I had to make a triple chocolate cake and I made it the same way as always, tried the chocolate buttercream and i felt it was over the top extremely sugary but my husband (non Keto) said it was fine. Thank you for your feedback!!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

Sugar disolves in the mouth, so spitting it out will not prevent you from consuming all of it. Depending on how much you do it, I wouldn’t be surprised if it could kick you out of ketosis. But if only done a little, you might be okay.

(Mother of Puppies ) #6

I had to give up baking, all my cookbooks and implements. :weary::weary::weary: #WorthIt

(Rob) #7

This is a good thread to read (pro baker going keto)…

@youngcj190 's other posts may also give more guidance.

(icky) #8

There you go - you might HAVE to get others to do the tasting for you, because your sugar taste sense will be affected by Keto.

Then it’s them having the carbs while testing/ tasting, not you! :blush:

(CJ Young) #9

Hey, baker here. Yeah, Capnbob linked my post from a bit ago where I brought up some of this stuff and got some interesting responses. I’m 3 months in now and a lot of my worries and concerns from then have sort of ironed themselves out. Now that I’ve been in ketosis for so long I can taste a crumb of cake or a bit of frosting here or there as necessary without it messing me up.

I’ve also gotten really comfortable with spitting things out which initially I was resistant to doing. A fellow up above mentioned that digestion does start in the mouth and you do absorb some stuff through your tongue. That’s true but I personally haven’t felt any sugar/flour effects from anything I’ve chewed and then spit out.

In regards to trying new products and your palate mine has changed a lot. Everything tastes very sweet to me now. I had to try a new pumpernickel recipe last week and I thought it was overly sugared. My co-baker said she thought it wasn’t particularly sweet for a bread. It’s been a bit problematic honestly. I’ve been lately, now that I’m more comfortable with keto, trying things more often and trying to gauge my sugar response so I can more accurately determine if things are the right level of sweetness. I don’t have the best palate anymore though which honestly, is a bit of a blow to the ego. I was the go to, “eh this isn’t quite right. Taste this and tell me what’s wrong.” person. I am still the top decorator though, don’t need to taste the cakes to be killer at that.

Sorry this got kind of long. To answer your initial question. yup. Baking conventionally is hard when Keto. No two ways about it. But Keep Calm and Keto on as they say. Once you’re Keto for long enough saying no to all that baking around you becomes easy. My co-workers still try to “tempt” me from time to time but It’s not as tempting as they seem to think.

(Crystal Garcia) #10

Thank you soooo much, will definitely look into it !! :smiley:
Even though I love baking and left my job to take on baking two years ago, I have never felt so good since I took on my new lifestyle (Keto)

(Crystal Garcia) #11

I have many of my own creations that I have written down so for now I will stick to what I have and make the best of it. Life is about adapting to the circumstance you have in front of you, and I have begun on taking baking Keto so when one door closes another opens :smiley: thank you for your feedback !

(CJ Young) #12

It’s certainly becoming a more popular diet. At our bakery we’ve had a few customers inquire about keto options. My boss is still not into it but it does look like there will be a larger and larger market for keto goodies.

(Brian) #13

I’m liking the sound of that! :slight_smile: