I have just started my Keto journey

(Anthony Renolds) #1

I have just started my Keto journey and finding it not as easy as it looks.
After googling around, I have just found this guy, Dr Steven Gundry.
He released a book “Unlocking the Keto Code”, he also has a very large u tube podcast site.
After looking at a good ten vids of his, he sort of reckons counting grams of food daily is the wrong way to go about it all. And the type of fats (I think most people use) are not the ones he recommends.
Has anyone on this forum got any experience in his approach, and if so, how did or does it work out?

(Robin) #2

Yes, folks on here are very familiar with him. But your question is huge… I would suggest you go to our newbie section and take a look around… there is. Treasure trove of general information about a keto lifestyle and how best to begin.
Best of luck!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Strictly limited carbohydrate intake, a goodly amount of protein, and fat enough to satisfy hunger—that’s a good recipe for metabolic health.

And it turns out that the best fats are saturated and mono-unsaturated; we don’t need much in the way of polyunsaturated fats.

(Anthony Renolds) #4

From what I can gather so far from looking at Dr Gundry approach is more to do with quality of carb (which are not that limited). The proteins are quite limited, and the fats are very specialized, mostly Olive Oil. This guy drinks 1 litre a week of it. As I’ve been finding it hard to get into Ketosis I found him out. What is more important to his approach to Keto is 18 hours of no food intake. He recommends MCT oil or goats milk/cheese.

(Marianne) #5

I’m sorry, I don’t have any experience with his approach, however, keto - to me - boils down to what @PaulL said (keep the fats clean and eat fat and protein to satiety), and limit your total carbs to less than 20g/day. I’d stick with clean foods (usually one-ingredient, which you can certainly combine to make a meal), and don’t worry about counting your fat and protein macros - just the carbs. That’s it in a nutshell.

Welcome and good luck to you!