I have a question about bacon

(Karnivore) #33

YUM! I’m glad to hear you had a positive experience with it :smile:

I KNOW. Why…how would it even cross one’s MIND to put the serving size for ONE. PIECE. OF. BACON.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #34

As noted previously.

(Karnivore) #35

Can I get any brand of bacon if I find a cheaper one, as long as it isn’t purposely sweet (ie maple bacon)?

Edit: also, are these: “Cured with water, salt, sugar, sodium phosphate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite” problems? idk what they are lol. from the brand “jimmy dean”

(Edith) #36

The thing I don’t like about articles like this is they use the words may and might. That says to me that the evidence didn’t really prove the point. Maybe correlations from epidemiological studies?

The other problem with the article was this:

Diet soda mixed with alcohol makes you more intoxicated

That would probably not be a negative for many people. :joy:

Diet soda makes your brain experience effects similar to chemical addiction

I do believe this point.

yes of course.

bacon is buy any one you love and can afford. Bacon is a great ‘crutch’ for us zc people :slight_smile: I ate lb after lb and did fab on it iwth no issues, but again, some people find eating bacon doesn’t set well with them and they drop it but those who love it, eat it up :slight_smile:

yea no flavored ones with maple or whatever. Just get regular old bacon ya love!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #38

Precisely. To find out just what the research actually says, we need to look at the actual journal article. In general, the effect noticed is quite small and, while it may be statistically significant, it is often not clinically significant. A correlation from an epidemiological study, as we all know, is no indication of causality, just something that needs to be followed up with a randomised, controlled trial to verify that the correlation is at all a sign of something going on.

(Karnivore) #39

Great, thank you :slight_smile:

(Ideom) #40

:heart: One of the greatest thread titles ever. :heart:

(Karnivore) #41

It’s perfect, am I right? It’s straight to the point. “I have a question, about the one, the only, bacon!”

(Vic) #42

I have bacon ones a week as a side dish or some candy.
It is junkfood in my book. I still eat it. My diet doesnt need to be perfect.

(Karnivore) #43

Hello fellow Carnivore! I love how similar our usernames are :laughing:
This is a good idea/point. Thank you for your input :slight_smile:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #44

Curious, why so?

(Vic) #45

Its carnivore spelled in my native language :grin:

(Vic) #46

Bacon is processed with refined sugar, thus, junk food. I sometimes add it to a meal because it tastes good. Guess that makes me a more Relaxed Carnivore. :wink:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #47

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #48

Because it gets washed off at the end?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #49

Because there are sugar-eating bacteria involved in the curing process that get washed off at the end?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #50

Actually, sugar (and honey) has anti-bacterial properties. There is medicinal sugar used for packing wounds to help them heal.

I am more relaxed also when it comes to eating some processed stuff but I watch it very closely on what I will eat.

I consider carnivore junkfood to be pork rinds, beef sticks, jerky and deli meats etc. Bacon I never put there in that category tho LOL

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #52

When I brewed beer and braggot I learned this. Sugar, aka barley malt, is the preferred food of brewing yeasts. It’s also the preferred food for a host of other micro organisms we don’t want in our beer. Honey, which is used in addition to malt to make braggot, is indeed an antiseptic. It requires careful use to convince yeast to eat it. With honey in the mix, it’s lots easier to keep the undesirables out.