I got out there today

(AnnaLeeThal) #1

Felt like running. So I did. 3.6 miles. I run very slowly, but a much faster pace than sitting on the couch.

(Kelly Gallagher) #2

Awesome job! I donā€™t know how you can do it in this cold lol. I hate being outside just to get in my car in the winter lol.

(Guardian of the bacon) #3

Wow, Obviously youā€™re over nearer the snow belt. We have virtually no snow on the ground over here.

Great job and getting out. Iā€™ll never be a runner but I am looking froward to getting on the bike more.

(Guardian of the bacon) #4

Obviously AnnaLee is a true Michigander. :white_sun_cloud::thunder_cloud_rain::cloud_snow:

(David K) #5

I could do the cold, I hate running. I donā€™t how you people do it.

(AnnaLeeThal) #6

This is what I wore:
Thick smart wool socks
Nike thermal compression leggings and long sleeve shirt.
Cotton pants.
Running skirt.
Insulated windbreaker zip up.
Windbreaker running vest.
Fleece scarf that I could pull up over my face.
Knit earwarmer.
Gloves

Layers and more layers are the key when doing winter running. The compression gear really makes a difference. I have found combatting the wind is really the key to keeping warm, hence the windbreakers.

(Guardian of the bacon) #7

How in the hell did you move?

(AnnaLeeThal) #8

Lol. Very slowly.

My daughter went to Ann Arbor to get her Masterā€™s (UMich). She never moved back. :frowning: Now all of my grandbabies are hearty little Wisconsinites (is that a word, haha?)

(Guardian of the bacon) #10

Now wait a minute Ann Arbor, sadly is in Michigan. (Iā€™m a MSU Spartan) We in Michigan proudly call ourselves Michiganders. Iā€™m not sure how Wisconsin became involved but we call them critters Badgers.

Guess I left out some details. haha After she graduated, her then boyfriend got a job in Wisconsin. She decided it was a good idea to marry him and move another 350 miles further away.
Now Michigan seems so close. I do not enjoy the drive through/around Chicago. Ahh, but itā€™s only a thousand miles from here. :open_mouth:

(Guardian of the bacon) #12

Ah ok. We have kids & Grandkids in Iowa. Chicago driving sucks. Fortunately they are moving back home in June.

Happy for you that they will be closer.

:anguished::worried:
Just got a text message regarding the ā€œoldestā€. The five year old had a seizure at school and may have hit her head. Now in ER.
So hard being so far away. This poor child has a zillion medical problemsā€¦and her Dad doesnā€™t believe nutrition is important. yeah. right.

(Guardian of the bacon) #14

:sob: Iā€™m sorry. Yes being at a distance is hard.

Thatā€™s a real shame. Ketones can be so good for brain disorders. Get @richard to help you show him the science.

(Jacquie) #15

You look terrific! :slight_smile:

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #16

Your trail looks like mine!

Thank you. She had to move to a larger hospital, stopped breathing at one point and is in NICU. Neurologist had hoped she could stop taking the anti-seizure meds, started reducing them last week.

Would love to see this kid on keto diet. She loves coconut oil by the spoonfuls, btw.
So difficult just keeping her on ā€œreal foodsā€ outside of home. School and O.T./P.T. etc are aware of her nutritional needs, yet send her home with candy and other junk food.
Her mother feeds the family more of a Whole 30 Paleo/Primal type of diet. Yeah, her mother and I are both very aware of benefits of ketones. Wish her father would help outā€¦he doesnā€™t even think gluten is an issueā€¦and this kid has auto-immune issues (diagnosed with Hashimotoā€™s at 18 mos old). I know how terrible I sound dissing my son-in-law; he is a very educated man; just wish heā€™d get on board and do what is best for his special needs child. I think part of the problem is that she appears normal physically, except for tiring due to ataxia, etc, and ā€¦I donā€™t knowā€¦anywayā€¦hope she is home soon.

(AnnaLeeThal) #18

Debby that sounds so scary! I am wishing for the best outcome.

Thank you so much!
Just wish my daughter could get some sleep and food at the hospital.

Hi Debby, by chance I saw you mentioned that your grandchild has ataxia in your post. I have episodic ataxia/ hemiplegic migraine of late onset with each attack lasting minutes-hours to days. I am trialling this diet all by myself as thereā€™s no documentation that this diet works for ataxia (other than Glut1 ataxia). I am one month into my keto diet and I have to say my brain is a lot more stable. The frequency of my attack is reduced from 1/week (2-3 day for recovery) to only 1 significant episode so far. So far I believe it is helpful for my disorder and I hope your son-in-law will be willing to try it out on your grandchild as well. My ataxia triggers are stress, exercise (but not swimming) and fatigue. I also look ā€˜normalā€™ on the outside but I know thereā€™s something really wrong with my brain. My partner is a doctor and he was very suspicious of my dietary changes as well. But even now he is convinced that this diet is doing something. Hopefully I will get referred to a dietitian by my neurologist. All the best to your grandchild.