I GAINED weight :(

One week in. I ate a lot the first couple days but within my macros. I did not cheat whatsoever. No sweeteners except stevia. No dairy. No grains. Never over 50g protein and 20g carbs. No possibility of hidden carbs. I measure and calculate everything. Exercised. Drank stupid amounts of lemon water.

The only ideas I have are lemon juice upping my carbs, water retention, muscle gain (I trained), or plain ol fat gain.

So discouraged.

(Carpe salata!) #2

post some more info ā€¦ height, weight, BMI, why you are trying ketoā€¦

Regardless, obvious answer is obvious

ā€”> Keep Calm and Keto On :smile:

5ā€™10", now 178lbs (I used to be 145lbs, but gained over six months after a difficult life situation).

Iā€™m trying keto to lose weight and control my diet.

Obvious?

(Carpe salata!) #4

(The obvious was the KCKO)

Thanks. Iā€™m around 5/10 and maybe 220lb at presentā€¦ thing is, I like feeling so much better on keto. No constant headaches, feeling ravenous, joint pain, vasculitis, BP, doc said i was on the verge of diabetes ā€¦

At some time, I know it will happen, i will get big into fasting and dropping that last 40-50lb . But currently Iā€™m just chilling , enjoying being much more healthy on keto.

I know what you mean. I do feel better. No more ravenous hunger. I actually reach a point when Iā€™ve had enough, which used to be rare for me.

Chilling on keto, however, is not enough for me. No offence to your own experience. I want to lose. The last 5-6 days, Iā€™ve been making sure thereā€™s a deficit of anywhere from 100-400 calories/day, while still feeling full and nourished.

I should be losing. :frowning:

(Carpe salata!) #6

Iā€™d say you are losing - but probably in the sense of ā€˜reconfiguringā€™. I found I lost a lot of gut ā€˜fatā€™ in the way of needing to use way different holes in my belt before the weight actually showed much on the scales. Stick with it.

Hi! Your writing seems incredibly down and incredibly discouraged.

How many calories a day have you been eating? What are you eating?

Keto adaption and changes at the cellular level takes time, months even. Youā€™re in the first week? What results were you wanting or what do you think it was supposed to be?

(James storie) #8

I think you need to watch the lemon juice. Youā€™re probably getting a lot more carbs than you realize. It could be enough to keep insulin up.

I agree with James on the lemon juice. But I would encourage you to also take measurements and photos. If you are gaining muscle, you are losing weight without knowing it. How are your clothes fitting? I would not worry about having a calorie deficit either, but that probably isnā€™t an issue since youā€™re eating until full.

Can you post what you eat in a day?

@KetoPICUrn

I didnā€™t expect to lose the first week, but I also didnā€™t expect to gain 4 lbs.

Here are a few sample days of food:

I read that drinking lemon juice is a good idea while on a ketogenic diet because of an alkalinity issue. But, I will dial it down or stop and see if it isnā€™t raising my carbs.

It looks like youā€™re intermittent fasting dinner.

Itā€™s interesting you gained. I basically eat the same as what youā€™ve listed. I initially lost a ton of water weight then cruised at the same weight but clothes fit differently.

Stress and cortisol levels can effect it too. Your writing is intense.

I do hope you feel better and keep at it. It does get better and the weight does come off.

Iā€™m curious why you write ā€œincrediblyā€ and why you think my writing is intense? Is it because I wrote that I went through a difficult life situation? Itā€™s true that Iā€™m under a lot of emotional stress, recovering from something, but I donā€™t see the intensity in my writing that you see.

Yes, Iā€™m intermittent fasting dinner.

Itā€™s good to get feedback that what Iā€™m eating is on target, minus the lemon, which Iā€™ve now cut out. Thanks for your feedback!

(John) #15

It may be nothing, but iā€™m a little confused by your MFP. This looks like way more fat than I ever ate even at 255, but the math isnā€™t working out in your totals which is a little concerning, for example your last day shows 183 grams of fat which is 1,647 calories which is higher than your total shows. If those numbers are off iā€™m wondering how accurate it all is.

This leads me to another possibility which is you eating fat to try to hit a macro number? That last day I see you ate olive oil at breakfast along with quite a lot of bacon fat. The prep for bacon and eggs doesnā€™t require what 7 tablespoons of fat.

Then at lunch more oil for seemingly no reason, maybe it goes with Avocados?

Just curious if you are thinking you need to hit a goal number for fat everyday and are eating fat purposely to reach it. Looking back at my MFP I see my fat was rarely over my protein which is why yours stood out.

(James storie) #16

I donā€™t know anything about alkalinity, Iā€™ve been keto for almost 3 years and havenā€™t worried about anything like that. All I know is the lemon juice is technically fruit juice, it has carbs, if you are consuming a lot in your water just to manage taste it will add up.

(Adam Kirby) #17

First of all you literally have to train your body to burn fat if youā€™re coming from a lifetime of glucose powered eating, and that can take time. Getting frustrated this early on is not a recipe for long-term success. Also it doesnā€™t sound like you have overly much to lose, so you need patience. Now for dietary changes I personally think an all meat and eggs diet for people like us who donā€™t have too much to lose, is a very powerful approach. I am getting off doing it for 2 weeks and dropped 5-6 pounds of fat, frankly more than I anticipated. And I was stalled for 6 months on a normal low carb diet. I wouldnā€™t worry about too much protein at all. So basically KCKO, and if youā€™re in the same boat after a month or more try all meat. But you gotta take a more long term attitude here.

+also, this is why itā€™s crucial to take waist measurements. So if you DO gain weight you can quickly guess whether itā€™s fat or not.

(Candice) #18

I looked up the amount of carbohydrates in lemon juice - 5g in one 2 1/8" lemon. Thanks for bringing up carbs in lemon juice, never crossed my mind.

My advice, give your scale to someone you dislike. If you insist on weighing yourself do it next on this day in 2018 and report back. I think youā€™ll be pleased.

On a serious note, you canā€™t expect your body to burn fat before you train your body to burn fat. As obvious as that sounds I feel like we keep circling back to the same solution: KCKO.

Oh dear, I never even considered that I might be overeating. Iā€™ll be sure to check the entries against nutrition info to see if theyā€™re accurate.

Iā€™ve read a lot on this forum to ā€œeat more fatā€, especially in the beginning. Iā€™m trying to eat 80% fat, no more than 20g of carbs, and protein to make up the difference. Admittedly, Iā€™m not sure how much protein to eat.

I donā€™t use fat only for prep. I add it on top.