I feel myself slipping

(Janet Smith) #1

I’m about 75 days in. And I feel myself starting/wanting to slip. Scale hasn’t moved in over a week. I know throw it away. I dont know what’s going on. I’ve used my salt intake and electrolytes I think are ok. Is there something I can do to get out of this funk?

(Short224) #2

Well I did give in when it was about 3 weeks and the scale didn’t move and guess what ? Nothing tasted as I remember it tasting I immediately was in a food coma sleeping and I haven’t napped since I started this woe so I wouldn’t do it trust me you will be right back and regret the way you feel screw the scale keep going .

(Frank) #3

Life can just be “funky” sometimes. A week of no weight loss is nothing in the grand scheme. Hang in there. It’ll assuredly get better. Keep your eye on the prize and know that we “all” have and still go through the funk from time to time.

Fasting can break your “funk”. Fasting almost always results in weight loss, the only question is dosage. And controlling regain.

During my body recomposition journey, seeing the scale move in the right direction was essential to maintaining my motivation. I need feedback, that’s just how I’m wired. I fasted a lot, and the numbers trended down a lot. YMMV.

(Janet Smith) #5

Which do I go by total or net carbs? Stating to track…also if fasting. What can I drink? 8 usually drink my water with mio sport…is that allowed while fasting.?

(Sheri Knauer) #6

If you want to be honest about your carb intake, go by total carb, with the exception of say avocado and vegetables you eat (unless you go really crazy on veggies and eat a boat load, which I wouldn’t suggest doing anyway). Keep in mind that when you do fast, you may lose some weight during the fast, but then you will put some back on when you start eating again. That is normal. Fasting has cumulative benefits. When I was doing some extended fasting (2-3 days tops for me), I would actually gain a few pounds during the fast then drop a few pounds after I started eating again. Everyone is different.

I personally would not use the Mio Sport. It has AceK plus 2 different dyes in it. If you do a search on the forum for keto-aid, there is a recipe to make it yourself. I like using Ultima.

Think about all the other benefits you are experiencing eating keto. There is so much more than just weight loss. Are you feeling more energetic? Are there any health issues that you had that you no longer have? Think about all those non scale victories you are experiencing. Write them down and hang them up on your bathroom mirror or wherever your scale is (unless of course you decide to throw your scale away, which is the best way to make it move, lol) so when you are feeling discouraged, you can see all your non scale victories.

Think about how you would feel if you decided to eat the way you used to eat because “keto wasn’t working for you anymore”. Keto for most of us is for life. In a year from now, where would you be if you stayed keto and where would you be if you went back to your old diet? Just keep calm and keto on.

(Lonnie Hedley) #7

Why? If you’re tracking, and you put it in your body, it’s probably a good idea to track everything.

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #8

I’m going on over 2 months with no weight loss. I’m not really that worried about it. I’m losing clothing sizes and my weight lifting performance is improving by leaps and bounds. It’s to the point that I have absolutely no doubt that I’m exchanging fat for muscle, which is much preferable to simply losing weight in my opinion.

Weight does that, a week or two is ignorable, at some point you’ll hit stalls way worse than that, and then it just starts going again. I hit I think 10 weeks at one point? Been a while. In either case a sample days diet can be telling if you wanna list what your eating, When troubleshooting I’d say go by actual carbs minus veggies or something that has NATURAL fiber in it, and not as an ingredient and if that doesn’t seem to be enough start adding back in half the carbs from sugar alcohols. Remember, you can bake a loaf of bread, and “erase” the carbs with a couple scoops of Metamucil… or CAN you? Answer obviously is no, but that’s the level we’re starting to get to with all the processed crap and (their) version of net carbs.

(Sheri Knauer) #10

I don’t mean you shouldn’t track them but track their net carbs instead of total carbs. Like today I had a whole avocado for lunch. Total carbs were 12 and if i were keeping total carbs 20 or less, then that wouldn’t leave much room for veggies at dinner. If I counted it as net carbs, then that would be 2.5 net leaving you a lot more options for veggies at dinner. Everything else I would count total carbs. If your not a huge veggie eater anyway or doing more carnivore style of keto, then count total carbs for everything.

(Lonnie Hedley) #11

Sounds like that’s a convenient way to say you kept your carb count low. A donut is a lot of carbs. But if I don’t count donut carbs because I don’t want my total carbs to be high, I can get away with it? If someone is working through a stall, maybe they should t pick and choose what to track. Just an opinion.

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #12

That doesn’t sound like a great analogy for what she was saying though. There’s a concrete reason for the existence of the term “net carbs”. Some carbs aren’t digestible, or they’re digestible to such a small degree that the number can be safely discounted. Clearly these aren’t the carbs we should concern ourselves with. The fiber in an avocado (or other food) is one such item. I can see why a delineation could be made between highly processed foods as well. Manufacturers will flat out lie about the content of a processed food, or at least the effects that content will have on your body.

(Shirley) #13

I track net carbs for everything, not just veggies: total carbs - fiber = net carbs.
Keeps my tracking consistent too, not just a convenient way to keep my carb count low (though I don’t think that’s what @Sheri_Knauer is doing!).
If you’re trying to stay under 20g of carbs it’s meant to be net carbs, otherwise you’d likely never be under 20g if you were counting total carbs.

(Sheri Knauer) #14

Im talking vegetable, not crappy carbage. I did not in any way in my original reply say it was ok to eat whatever she wants and not track it. Im saying she should track her daily food intake and use total carbs with the exception of keto approved veggies, in which she can choose to use net carbs for those. Not really sure how you extrapolated out of that me telling her its ok to eat donuts.

(Janet Smith) #15

(Janet Smith) #16

So this is what it should look like roughly?

(karen) #17

Don’t know if this will be helpful or just a rabbit hole. It’s soluble fiber that has some potential, because it can be used by the gut bacteria, if I understand this right. So if you are ‘picking and choosing’ and you have a breakdown of fiber types, insoluble fiber really doesn’t count any more than eating a rock counts, it’s 100% legitimate to subtract insoluble fiber from your carb count. Soluble fiber you might want to include, just in case, but from reading this, soluble fiber processed through bacteria produces short chain fatty acids, not glucose. So … sigh. If anything, this implies that soluble fiber should be counted as fat (4.5 grams of soluble fiber producing 1 gram of usable fat? This is wandering into the land of “just not worth it”, personally I think net carbs is fine.)

"Determining whether or not fiber calories should “count” depends on context and requires some background. Calories are a basic unit of energy that measure, among other things, how much burning power they provide to the body. Fats, proteins, carbohydrates and alcohol provide the body with energy or calories. The traditional estimates are that 1 gram of fat provides 9 calories, each gram of either proteins and carbohydrates provide 4 calories, and a gram of alcohol provides 7 calories. However, this doesn’t account for differences in how well food is digested and the nutrients available to the body. Poorly digested foods may not release as much energy for the body to use. This is particularly important in the case of fibers.

Dietary fibers are complex carbohydrates, so some people estimate that they provide 4 calories per gram just like any other carbohydrate. However, others say that calories from fiber don’t count since your body’s digestive enzymes can’t break down fiber. However, fibers differ in how well they are digested or how much energy is available to the body. Some fibers, called soluble fibers, either absorb water and become gels or dissolve in water and reach the intestine where they are digested by bacteria. As they are digested by bacteria, soluble fibers produce short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs) that provide your body energy. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) estimates that fibers fermented by bacteria provide about 2 calories per gram of fiber. Insoluble fibers travel to the intestine with very little change. Instead of being digested, insoluble fibers increase bulk, soften stool, and shorten transit time through the gastro-intestinal tract. Because these fibers are not digested at all, the FDA estimates that insoluble fibers do not contribute any calories."

(Lonnie Hedley) #18

@Roy_D_Rushing_Jr @K.I.S.S.35 @Sheri_Knauer

I’m playing Devils advocate. If it’s clear to @Janet_Smith when to count total vs. net then great.

However, I’ve seen several posts lately of people being confused by conflicting information. I think telling someone to count total or net should be kept consistent. Not, sometime net sometimes total. Although an extreme example, I was trying to point out what it’s like if you chose what to count and what not to count. Because the three of you have a hang of what works for you, it doesn’t seem like you can understand how someone new could be confused by this.

I didn’t say you said anything other than you did. Which was count total carbs, except sometime when you can count net carbs. Personally I think a clearer message is to count net if it works. If you have a stall, maybe count total. But don’t mix counting the two.