I don't want to track but am gaining weight

(Windmill Tilter) #41

At your 130lb weight, I’d guess it would be 5-8lbs.

When I went on keto I dropped around 13lbs in the first week or so; it was all water/glycogen. When I went off it I regained that exact same amount in water/glycogen. Pretty normal to lose/gain somewhere around 5% of bodyweight when entering/exiting ketosis respectively.

Even while I was strict keto, fasting added another variable. I typically would lose an additional 1lb per consecutive day fasting, which I would regain immediately upon keto refeed.

Weight doesn’t mean much when your going in and out of keto and fasting. A tape measure is a lot more useful under those conditions!

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #42

This is valuable information for me.

I think it would be very educational for me to do that once or twice. I want to know what the glycogen does in my case. What protocol did you have, roughly?

(Ken) #43

Sure, but you should understand that this protocol, called CKD or Cyclical Ketogenic Diet, was developed for Bodybuilders about 20 years ago by Lyle McDonald. Essentially it is a caloric deficient Ketogenic diet with a weekly, 36 hour carb up for glycogen recompensation to allow people to preserve their muscle mass while losing fat. It also prevents metabolic slowdown, or a Starvation Response.

There is quite a bit of information out there if you Google.CKD.

Basically, you’ll have to deplete your glycogen for several days, then carb up for 36 hours. You’ll be able to find out how many carbs you have to eat according to your body size once you read the protocols.

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #44

Thanks for the pointer to CKD. I don’t want to do exactly that protocol, because I do not want to do carb days, but I might use some ideas from it. It would be nice to know what part of my weight changes (while eating keto all week) is glycogen+water load/depletion.

(Ken) #45

From looking at your initial graph, I’d say you carry around 10 pounds of Glycogen, give or take a pound or so.

(charlie3) #46

I’ve been doing low carb/exercise for 20 months. Food and exercise both have so much psychology involved. I find all moving targets and some things that worked a year ago are not optimal at the moment. I’ve been tracking both exercise and food carefully with Cronometer from the start, micros and macros. I’ve learned a lot about nutrition by tracking and a lot about my eating psychology.

Lately I’m fit enough to burn over 40% of daily calories by activity/exercise. That’s enough extra calories that if I’m a little bit clever about meal timing I can be very full almost all the time and no trouble eating deficit calories when that’s what I want to do.

(Windmill Tilter) #47

+1 for Lyle McDonald. I don’t hear his name very often, but he has some great content.

I don’t do CKD, but I’ve always been curious about it. I won’t be experimenting with that till I hit maintenance though for sure.

CKD always seemed weird to me (doing very different things to our body repeatedly) but I couldn’t do it anyway as I can’t do high-carb without negative consequences and I can’t do low-fat at all (unless I eat very little carbs at the same time). It’s amazing how different we people are and how weird things may work for some.

(Yaha) #49

Hello, I am Yaha, I had the same problem when I first started in this journey, it was kind of tricky to know if I was doing it ok or not.
Have you tried a custom keto diet? that really worked for me as it is more personalized to you. I lost 50lbs in 2 months here is my picture!

I still got a long way to go but I am getting there!

(Ellen ) #50

You look absolutely beautiful Yaha! And happy.

(Susan) #51

Congrats on your 50 pound loss so far, Yaha and best wishes on the rest of your journey. You look beautiful and healthy already though, so you must be very close =).

(Yaha) #52

Thank you! I am it has been a journey haha,. you should go on line and find a custom keto diet plan, they ask about a lot of things and give you a perfect plan, maybe that could work for you guys,. idk, it worked for me though, if you like I can send you the link of the one I used,. now my mom is also starting haha hope in time show her pictures as well.

(Susan) #53

If you were to put a link, it would be considered advertising. We don’t do that on here, so it is better not to do that =).

I am glad that you are doing well with your Keto though. This forum is a great support and encouragement for us all sharing our journeys. Best wishes for the rest of yours =).

(Yaha) #54

Oh I didn’t know that! thank you for letting me know I just have 1 hour in my account.
Best wishes to you as well!

(Ellen ) #55

I’ll look online. Thank you

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #56

Ellen, she can also send you the information in a private message, that’s fine too.

(Ellen ) #57

Thanks @PetaMarie, I think I’ll just pop online and see if it’s something that would work for me. I have my regular shopping list and don’t feel the need to deviate just yet, but it does sound interesting.

(erin) #58

I heard Its really common to stop losing weight after dieting. Nutrient deficiencies or water and salt imbalance can make you feel really hungry. Water weight, stress, or a weightloss plateau can make everything a lot slower. The best way to get through a plateau is to test which ailment is halting your weight loss. It may seem like reducing the water you drink could help you lose water weight but that isn’t true. It is kind of strange, but drinking water can help get rid of water weight. Salt imbalances, potassium, magnesium deficiency, and angioedema or edema can all cause water retention. Allergies or food intolerances can also cause extra weight by holding lots of water. Stress can slow weight loss down too. You can try to get 7 hours of sleep and try to reduce some of the things that make you stressed. Even if you can’t do these things all the time, you could try them to see if there is any changes
Goodluck!

I forgot to mention that salt and water really helps when you are fasting. Be careful though! eight glasses of water with a bit of salt or soup a day seems to be enough

@Ruina I’m not familiar with this book. Is there a list of allowed foods anywhere? Thanks so much.